Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:43 am to
Posted by LSUTygerFan
Homerun Village
Member since Jun 2008
33232 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:43 am to
quote:

if there is a capable male in the movie

he get's killed during or soon after banging the hot chick.
Posted by Scruffy
Kansas City
Member since Jul 2011
72027 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:44 am to
quote:

if there is a capable male in the movie, he is most likely the killer
Yes, yes we most likely are.
Posted by SEClint
New Orleans, LA/Portland, OR
Member since Nov 2006
48769 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:49 am to
quote:

Normal males aren't in these movies, it is always some dipshit in touch with his feelings motherfricker, and if there is a capable male in the movie, he is most likely the killer

Nightmare on elm street 2 is a good example of when that formula tries to work.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:52 am to
I've only seen the original. I found out that 2 had nothing to do with 1, so I just stopped watching...plus the first one sufficiently scared the shite out of me (cut me some slack I was 8)
Posted by SEClint
New Orleans, LA/Portland, OR
Member since Nov 2006
48769 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:53 am to
You need to watch 2 just for the lols. It's so gay. Literally.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:56 am to
again, special appreciation for aliens. While technically an action/war movie it is based in horror.

These guys have everything they need to beat the aliens, they are badass motherfrickers, they kill a shitload of them. And yet they maintain suspense because they're outnumbered, overconfident and thus unprepared, and the initial ambush leaves them like a wounded duck

only horror(ish)movie where I don't feel like the people getting killed off are fricking retarded.

Halloween also gets an exemption because they're all dumb kids and they don't know they should be scared shitless
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67027 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:56 am to
1. Be armed (especially with guns with lots of ammo AND short range melee weapons like swords, machetes, axes, knives, spears, clubs, and farming tools)
2. Don't be black
3. Have access to multiple, well fueled, avenues of escape
4. Don't wander from the group
5. Don't trip
6. Don't be slow
7. If you're a girl, never be the hottest one. Being the hottest one ensures death while being the second hottest one, particularly if you're the "sweet" one gives you the best chance at living.
8. Have someone in your group equipped with Life Alert. Those f*&king things work everywhere.
9. When fleeing, try to find a home with a landline to call for help.
10. Never run upstairs or down into a cellar unless there is an avenue to escape to another building or something to climb down from or a door to the outside (if you're in a cellar).
11. Don't have character flaws that follow the 7 Deadly Sins. It is common horror movie archetype that each character who dies, dies because of their "sins". The hot girl dies because of vanity, the fat kid due to gluttony and sloth, the athletic guy to wrath (fighting with no weapon when he could easily flee), ect.
12. Find well-lit, well populated areas whenever possible.
13. If a place seems even remotely haunted f&%king leave immediately.
14. Always have lanterns and/or flashlights handy.
15. Leave all lights on whenever possible.
16. Never locate the breaker in your home in a "creepy" area (i.e. garage, cellar, attic, closet, ect) that has no avenues for escape.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:57 am to
I watched penny dreadful this weekend. I was really annoyed. The badass American gunslinger is a whiny bitch who gets poked up the kazoo by a fruity looking teenager

timothy Dalton is the only male character who isn't a total wimp...of course he finally succumbs to wimpdom when buying a luger (which wouldn't have been available to him at the time)

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 9:58 am to
quote:

. Be armed

/list

The rest of the list is in case you're unarmed
Posted by bbrownso
Member since Mar 2008
8985 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 10:15 am to
quote:

One of my favorite Robot Chicken scenes is about this.

Jason's Deceiving Speed

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon touched on it too:
Walk/Run Demonstration from Behind The Mask
This post was edited on 7/7/14 at 10:16 am
Posted by MrFreakinMiyagi
Reseda
Member since Feb 2007
18952 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 11:33 am to
quote:

And this guy is the worst father ever. How the frick do you have a remote hunting cabin mcmansion and no fricking guns? 300 million guns in the United States and the victims of these movies never have ONE unless it is Jason or Michael Myers.

We never had a gun at our remotely located lake house.

Why would we, since we're not hunters?

Violent crime happens in urban areas.

You too much TV.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 12:06 pm to
quote:

You too much TV.
no shite, this is about tv. I'm not under the impression people in the rural united states are living in Chicago like conditions or under constant murderous threat

typically, in a remote location such as this, there tends to be A gun. an old rifle, maybe a 5 shot revolver, something. I want to see the horror movie where the yokels pick the wrong motherfricker to mess with...oh that's a nice crossbow, myself I keep this here AK-47 (spits his tobacco) now I'm going to give you ten seconds to get the frick out of here and I'll warn ye I can't count that high.

probably wouldn't make for a good movie, but in my experience in such locations, it would be the more likely result than, "oh my god, we're entirely helpless" with kitchen knives and weapons of all kinds just lying around everywhere.
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67027 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 12:09 pm to
quote:

probably wouldn't make for a good movie, but in my experience in such locations, it would be the more likely result than, "oh my god, we're entirely helpless" with kitchen knives and weapons of all kinds just lying around everywhere.

This. However, I think it would make for a good movie if the victims were well armed like you said and practiced common sense, but the antagonist was just way smarter and managed to pick them off one by one with superior tactics despite a disadvantage in numbers and arms. THAT would be compelling!
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 12:15 pm to
quote:

I think it would make for a good movie if the victims were well armed like you said and practiced common sense, but the antagonist was just way smarter and managed to pick them off one by one with superior tactics despite a disadvantage in numbers and arms. THAT would be compelling!

that's what I want. Not even well armed, but not a helpless twat either.
Posted by JawjaTigah
Bizarro World
Member since Sep 2003
22495 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 12:32 pm to
quote:

Horror movie survival skills
This is one funny, funny set of comments. And very much correct. Only no mention of zombies - probably same rules apply, with the possible addition of:

Stay out of dark, enclosed places.
Don't become one of the beloved sages or hotties of the group you're with.
Be a real bad-azz tough guy only at your own peril.
Don't get close enough to any zombie for a bite.
If you have a gun or a cross-bow, shoot for the head; no exceptions.
If you find a group of people living somewhere who appear to be thriving, figure they are either psychopaths or cannibals and move on quickly.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 12:52 pm to
quote:

6. If you think something is dead don't go check, continue shooting/stabbing/lighting on fire until the only thing remaining is just a messy pool on the floor.
7. Headshot everything, multiple times. I don't care if Michael Myers or Jason is invincible, let's see them track you down when they have bullet holes where their eyes used to be.

This is one of my biggest problems with not just horror films, but all films. Blow a knee cap off AT LEAST. You don't have to kill, but people in films should think more about disabling than they do.
Posted by Sellecks Moustache
NC
Member since Jun 2014
5994 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 12:56 pm to
"I'll tell you: never hang out with a virgin. You got a virgin in your crew, either get somebody in her pants or get the hell away from her."
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67027 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 1:03 pm to
Agree. If you can't outrun the villain, but you shoot it, ALWAYS double tap if you have any ammo to spare.
Posted by dallastiger55
Jennings, LA
Member since Jan 2010
27672 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 1:20 pm to
the one about not going outside and screaming always gets me.

most of these people live in normal populated neighborhoods or cities and they stay inside or when they go outside and run from the boogieman they do it so quietly.

I would be running in the middle of the street screaming at the top of my lungs that some crazy frick is chasing me. lol
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/7/14 at 1:23 pm to
I'm telling you, non supernatural horror movies are almost silly when the victims know what's up.

I know scream is a parody of horror movies and a damn good one, but neve Campbell knows she's the número 1 target and has advanced notice after her first encounter. Alright, just carry a gun. No juking out anyone in a living room, just pull out your revolver and shoot him in the fricking face. Or just pull out a big fricking Bowie knife. No one is kamikazing themselves for neve Campbell.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram