re: .

Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:11 pm to
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
202824 posts
quote:

That's gotta be the most infamous regular season game ever, right?

Not even close.......
Posted by lsutigers1992
Member since Mar 2006
25317 posts
quote:

Kentucky had woodson UGA had Stafford and Moreno Florida had harvin and tebow Arkansas had 3 NFL runningbacks

And Tennessee won the East led by an occasionally brilliant Arian Foster at tailback and the best freshman DB in the country Eric Berry on defense, if I'm not mistaken.
Posted by WildcatMike
Lexington, KY
Member since Dec 2005
41539 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:15 pm to
2007 Kentucky team not only had Woodson...but had Stevie Johnson, Wesley Woodyard, and Jacob Tamme who are still producing in the NFL.
Posted by pioneerbasketball
Team Bunchie
Member since Oct 2005
132307 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:16 pm to
quote:

Kansas could have been the #1 FOOTBALL team in December.

imagine what mangino could have ate.
Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12402 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:19 pm to
quote:

If WVU doesn't lose, the Big Ten would have a much better reputation in regards to the SEC.

Ohio State would have played WVU and probably beaten them handily if Rich Rod's record vs Ohio State is any indication.

WVU was really good that year, and would have won the NC if they hadn't lost the Pitt game. They had Pat White and Steve Slaton, and Rich Rod's offense at WVU was something to behold.

People's view of Rodriguez is too clouded by his time at Michigan -- which is another subject, entirely -- but he had some monster WVU teams his last three years, one of which beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Ohio State was wildy overrated in 2006 because the Big Ten was wildly overrated that year, and that was before the conference was exposed for being a tier below the rest. Plus, 2007 was probably the peak of the Big East as a football conference before it all fell apart.
This post was edited on 9/17/14 at 1:41 pm
Posted by rocket31
Member since Jan 2008
41819 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:25 pm to
Ha. Ohio State had 8 players drafted that year and would have def been favored to win over WVU
Posted by SpartyGator
Detroit Lions fan
Member since Oct 2011
75412 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:26 pm to
quote:

And Tennessee won the East led by an occasionally brilliant Arian Foster at tailback and the best freshman DB in the country Eric Berry on defense, if I'm not mistaken.

The east was weird: UF blows out UT by 39, but then beats up UGA by 3 TDs, who beat Florida in JAX
Posted by E12IC
Member since Jan 2014
419 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:29 pm to
quote:

WVU was really good that year, and would have won the NC if they hadn't lost the Pitt game. They had Pat White and Steve Slaton, and Rich Rod's offense at WVU was something to behold.

People's view of Rodriguez is too clouded by his time at Michigan -- which is another subject, entirely -- but he had some monster WVU teams his last three years, one of which beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Ohio State was wildy overrated in 2006 because the Big Ten was wildly overrated that year, and that was before the conference was exposed for being a tier below the rest. Plus, that was probably the peak of the Big East as a football conference before it all fell apart.

WVU beat Oklahoma by 20 in Fiesta Bowl that year as well. O well, what could have been...
Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12402 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:29 pm to
quote:

Ha. Ohio State had 8 players drafted that year and would have def been favored to win over WVU

They were huge favorites over Florida the year before and got absolutely thrashed because they couldn't handle Florida's speed.

Also, your stat includes guys like Beanie Wells (bust) and Vernon Gholston (all time bust), so you probably shouldn't try to bolster your argument with references to draft picks.

This post was edited on 9/17/14 at 1:41 pm
Posted by rocket31
Member since Jan 2008
41819 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:30 pm to
7 point favorite.

Regardless WVU did not have Florida talent
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:31 pm to
huge favorites over florida, everyone (southern, and a huge group from ohio/navy buddies) told me I was insane

I watched with all the ohio people dressed up, beads on, dancing around after ginn housed it

then I just kicked back and laughed as their nightmare unfolded before them

I've never seen such shocked people.
Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12402 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:34 pm to
quote:

huge favorites over florida, everyone (southern, and a huge group from ohio/navy buddies) told me I was insane

I watched with all the ohio people dressed up, beads on, dancing around after ginn housed it

then I just kicked back and laughed as their nightmare unfolded before them

I've never seen such shocked people.

A buddy of mine and I were facing off in a bracket pool - he had OSU winning, I had Florida because I'm an SEC homer. He kept telling me they were going to throttle Florida, and I just kept referencing Florida's speed and physicality and the fact that OSU played 2 quality opponents (3 if you count Penn State). Again, that was back before the curtain was thrown back on just how ridiculously overhyped the Big Ten had gotten versus how underhyped the SEC was.
Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12402 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:35 pm to
quote:

Regardless WVU did not have Florida talent

They had Florida's speed, which is what matters.
Posted by lsutigers1992
Member since Mar 2006
25317 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:39 pm to
I think the reason why WVU took OU to the woodshed was because RichRod left them and they loved Bill Stewart and they wanted him to be the coach so they played balls-out for him.

If WVU beats Pitt, RichRod stays and coaches in the NC game. I don't know if you would have had the same result.
Posted by Pilot Tiger
North Carolina
Member since Nov 2005
73143 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:41 pm to
quote:

, and was the first time I ever heard "Andrew luck"
where would you have heard this? He wasn't even at Stanford then and he redshirted in 2008
Posted by rocket31
Member since Jan 2008
41819 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:42 pm to
Not sure what you're talking about. WVU was a good team but they were not even close to Florida athletes.

Not even sure if they had one NFL player drsfted on the roster
This post was edited on 9/17/14 at 12:44 pm
Posted by Sevendust912
Member since Jun 2013
11366 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:44 pm to
quote:

Ohio State would have played WVU and probably beaten them handily if Rich Rod's record vs Ohio State is any indication.

I highly doubt we would have lost to OSU in the MNC if we played them. I don't think OSU would have had a prayer of slowing down white, slaton, devine, reynaud, and schmitt
Posted by E12IC
Member since Jan 2014
419 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:46 pm to
quote:

Slaton
White
Schmitt
Mundy
Lankster

Think that's right.
This post was edited on 9/17/14 at 12:48 pm
Posted by KosmoCramer
Member since Dec 2007
76518 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:47 pm to
I retract my previous statement, I forgot Todd fricking Boeckman was our QB that year.

That was a long while ago, how we even made it into the NCG blows my mind to this day.

Our defense was alright though, and we had a good running back that I think would have run all over WVU.
Posted by Sevendust912
Member since Jun 2013
11366 posts
Posted on 9/17/14 at 12:48 pm to
quote:

Uhh

Pat white
Steve Slaton
Owen Schmitt
Brandon Hogan
Ellis Lankster
Ryan Mundy
Pat McAfee
Selvish Capers

All on the 2007 team. There might be more don't feel like looking.
This post was edited on 9/17/14 at 12:48 pm
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 7Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram