Posted on 8/19/14 at 1:29 pm to
Posted by tigerpimpbot
Chairman of the Pool Board
Member since Nov 2011
66941 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 1:29 pm to
quote:

phil will back down.

If the NFL leverages CBS on the thursday night deal next year for more money because of these PC shenanigans he's pulling, Phil gone.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 1:48 pm to
I imagine he knows no one is tuning into to hear him...no one except gruden has that kind of job security to pull this

anyone who doesn't think this a big deal whatsoever and that the NFL will have nothing to say (behind closed doors) is naïve...the nfl wants the broadcasts to be about football and not much else.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 1:56 pm to
what do you mean?

PS went public and called attention to the fact he won't say it...there has been a lot of attention on the "issue" and none of it is good for the NFL

they don't want people focused on what phil is not saying...furthermore, just by doing so, even if it is one team, it is against the interest of the NFL...and Phil Simms job, essentially, is to sell the NFL.

you really cannot imagine the NFL having a big problem with that...all of the changes made over the last 15 years good and bad, are all to make the broadcast, not the in stadium experience, more exciting, more appealing...they don't want phil being the center of attention for 1 minute of 1 game...he's going to back down in one manner or another, but I'd bet my life he's going to call them "redskins" at least once during the broadcast and I'll go further and say I don't think he's going to talk about it again unless it is to back away from his comments

cbs doesn't care how stupid he looks, he's not irreplaceable, and he'll do what they say, and I'd say there is a good probability the NFL has already discussed this with people at CBS
Posted by Sevendust912
Member since Jun 2013
11366 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 1:56 pm to
I will laugh when Phil slips up and says Redskins.
Posted by NIH
Member since Aug 2008
112642 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 2:01 pm to
Peter King thinks these are lofty guys.
Posted by jacks40
Baton Rouge
Member since Oct 2007
11877 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 2:39 pm to
quote:

what do you mean?

I mean no one is going on national broadcasts and calling out Tom Benson or Mark Davis as racists because of this issue.

This is strictally a Dan Snyder problem, and really just a PR problem bc as far as I know he hasn't been hurt financially in anyway by this issue yet.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 3:16 pm to
quote:

on national broadcasts and calling out Tom Benson or Mark Davis as racists because of this issue.

you distinguish it like that; however, dan Snyder and tom benson have the same interests so what you fail to understand is

quote:

This is strictally a Dan Snyder problem

a dan Snyder problem is an NFL problem...and regardless, while the product they sell is on the field, the NFL will not allow the topic of conversation or the mind of the viewer to be fixed on a "racial" issue.

quote:

bc as far as I know he hasn't been hurt financially in anyway by this issue yet

yeah, because it is a minority of people who actually think this isn't stupid and beyond that it is harmless (financially speaking) when it is on highlight shows, talk radio, etc...surely you would agree that it is not in the NFL's interest to have this be even remotely relevant DURING an NFL game broadcast...anything remotely in the vicinity of "redskins is racist" whether it be simms saying it or the more subtle (not really when you announce it ahead of time) refusal to use the word "redskins" and if you think they aren't concerned about the impact on merchandise sales, then you're wrong...It doesn't matter what the impact is thus far, one phone call and they can end this...easily. You don't think it is worth a 10-30 minute, even a 3 hour phone call?

first take or football tonight or PFT planet, that's chickenshit...this is an NFL game broadcast and you can bet your arse the owners are not happy when they read this.
This post was edited on 8/19/14 at 3:21 pm
Posted by htownjeep
Republic of Texas
Member since Jun 2005
7612 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 3:39 pm to
Wasn't too offensive for these guys during a ceremony honoring Navajos:

Not sure of this guy's tribe:

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 3:40 pm to
I'm going to start distributing soda brands...thanks for your business 7up, I just want to make it perfectly clear that due to some sudden personal issue, I will not say the words "royal" "crown" or "RC" I will instead call it "cola"

you think that's how business works? The redskins are a brand, they're Daniel Snyder's brand, he and 31 other owners have collectivized interests in the same enterprise...bob kraft doesn't like phil simms saying this, mark davis, rita benson leblanc...and so forth, I don't give a shite how they feel personally (take a wild guess) or what they say publicly
Posted by ballscaster
Member since Jun 2013
26861 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 3:49 pm to
If the name isn't a big deal, then not using the name is not a big deal, and changing the name is not a big deal. Those of you who "don't see the big deal" should remember that this is just a silly little football nickname and just let it go.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 4:01 pm to
I don't think it is a big deal...if I owned the Washington redskins, then it would be.

the redskins are a brand, one of the oldest in the league...surely dan Snyder considered that when he bought the redskins. You don't think a name change is going to impact merchandise sales? You don't think people will be less interested in watching the Washington Whatevers? Because, it will impact both of those...quite negatively.

and you piss off your core fanbase. Regardless of national following, it is the people in your local market that buy jerseys, go to games, etc...and the fan base has been quite vocal about how they feel. Dan Snyder is listening to his consumers.

If you switched the percentages between those who oppose and support the name, Snyder would end up changing the name regardless of his personal taste. Unless overnight he stopped being a business man.

I don't think it is a big deal...at all. We're talking about it because there is a minority of people (i.e. sportswriters) make it a big deal. I don't think it's racist, I think it would be silly to change it; however, this intrigued me because it isn't a sportswriter or segment host, it is the guy calling the nationally broadcast AFC games for the NFL, and he's being pretty public about it...fascinating stuff to me...I wish I could be a fly on the wall at the league offices.
This post was edited on 8/19/14 at 4:03 pm
Posted by jacks40
Baton Rouge
Member since Oct 2007
11877 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 4:14 pm to
quote:

he and 31 other owners have collectivized interests in the same enterprise..

Which is why the other owners aren't gonna tell cbs to pound sand over this.

The NFL can find another broadcast partner to take CBS games but they need CBS to engage in the bidding process to get as much money as possible in tv deals.

Posted by RileyTime
Gulf Breeze, FL
Member since Oct 2008
6930 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 4:15 pm to
I have no clue why this is all of a sudden such a big fricking deal. The term redskins is not offensive by any means and its idiotic to think otherwise. This is an issue started by white people and its ridiculous.
Posted by HeadCoach
Shady's Parking Lot
Member since Mar 2009
5659 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 4:18 pm to
I love it when progress makes people uncomfortable. Poor old rich white people
Posted by gatorrocks
Lake Mary, FL
Member since Oct 2007
13969 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 4:29 pm to
Best part of this whole manufactured situation is that Snyder doesn't give a frick and the fans are selling out the stadium still.
This post was edited on 8/19/14 at 4:31 pm
Posted by tigerpimpbot
Member since Nov 2011
66941 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 4:36 pm to
Assuming the Redskins score any touchdowns at home this season, that place will be rocking Hail to the Redskins loud as frick now.
Posted by COTiger
Colorado
Member since Dec 2007
16842 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 4:54 pm to
It won't be played often.
Posted by Rex
Here, there, and nowhere
Member since Sep 2004
66001 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 6:50 pm to
Posted by tigerpimpbot
Member since Nov 2011
66941 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 6:57 pm to
quote:

I think this should be the final word on the matter. Powerful stuff.

Lulz

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 7:26 pm to
quote:

Which is why the other owners aren't gonna tell cbs to pound sand over this.

I'm not being confrontational when I say this, but either you're missing it for whatever reason or you lack business sense (which isn't a statement deriding you. Some people don't have it.)

They split revenue...all of it. ALL of it. They're not going to tell them to pound sand. They have a relationship, a mutually beneficial one. The NFL holds the leverage, and presumably will until they're not as popular. One call would probably settle this, no one has to know anything. It doesn't go through hundreds of people, goodell speaks with owners and picks up the phone. Despite what liberal dipshits would have you believe, they're not going to sour a relationship that makes them a lot of money (leverge or not)

And they're not sticking up for Snyder at cost to them. In fact not doing so has the potential to do the opposite. This picks up steam (and it has) then presumably the redskins could see a decline in jersey sales, gate fees, and viewership (this particular one could over some years shift leverage towards networks)

Snyder makes a dollar it is really 1/32 of a dollar. He loses 1/32 of a dollar and jerry jones loses 1/32 of a dollar. They're interests are all one and the same. And mark davis will want the league to protect snyder's team as if it was the raiders. We're not talking about within the league where there interests are not always aligned.

So they can't stop people from making a stink, but you can bet your arse they're not really enthusiastic (any of them) about someone stoking the flames of what could down the road (business strategy requires you to think long term) on their fricking turf. Again, CBS is nothing more than a distributor.

Think ESPN and playmakers without it gettin to the press.

You can think the NFL doesn't want a big fuss an you de right, but they can erase this without making even the slightest ripple

As for the long term view if this picks up steam and gets to a boiling point people won't just say, "I'm going to boycott the redskins and not the NFL" they're going to boycott the whole shebang, unless you think consumers are imbeciles. I'm going to boycott first take and not ESPN. Sure this happens but it isn't in line with typical consumer behavior.

Owners don't care if their product is untouchable now, they still have to work to keep it's product that strong.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram