Olberman

What a smug SOB.
Posted by dcrews
Houston, TX
Member since Feb 2011
30191 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 10:13 am to
quote:

I love how they just now find it offensive. not in the decades the name has existed, but only this year.

It's a generational thing. People these days find everything offensive.

I don't even blame them, honestly. The only reasons all these "PC" issues exist is because we cater to the minority of people who want to feel special and be offended by every little thing.
Posted by jacks40
Baton Rouge
Member since Oct 2007
11877 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 10:46 am to
quote:

NFL will put the pressure on CBS. He'll say it or CBS won't be broadcasting after their agreement is up

I don't think 31 other owners are gonna let the calling of one teams name have any substantial effect on future tv negotiations.

ESPN and Playmakers was a black eye for the whole league. This issue only effects 1 team.

You really think the other owners are gonna be ok with decreasing their leverage in future tv deals by eliminating CBS as a bidder because Dan Syder has a problem?

Posted by ZereauxSum
Lot 23E
Member since Nov 2008
10176 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 10:59 am to
quote:

Why is Simms now outraged by the name?

He didn't seem outraged to me

Not seeing what's wrong with him not saying "Redskins".
Posted by tiggerthetooth
Big Momma's House
Member since Oct 2010
61263 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 11:08 am to
I really dont think this is a big deal. I will not watch many/if any Washington Redskins football games this year. I think its a word, nothing more, and I could care less if it changes or not, because all I know is going forward in the world without racism is more effective than trying to retroactively repair racism.
Posted by Walking the Earth
Member since Feb 2013
17260 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 11:15 am to
quote:

NFL will put the pressure on CBS. He'll say it or CBS won't be broadcasting after their agreement is up

They're not going to cost themselves billions in potential leverage just because Phil Simms won't say Redskins.

Especially since he is a CBS (thus, AFC) announcer and the odds of the number one booth announcing the game that the Redskins just happen to be playing on the network will probably be remote.
This post was edited on 8/19/14 at 11:16 am
Posted by SouljaBreauxTellEm
Mizz
Member since Aug 2009
29343 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 11:37 am to
Didn't read the article yet but I'm a Conservative here who does not like Dungy
Posted by htownjeep
Republic of Texas
Member since Jun 2005
7612 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 11:40 am to
quote:

I watched a little of Olberman last night doing the Skins highlight. He called them everything but the Redskins.

That tells you all you need to know. I'll use the term Redskins MORE now that I know this.
Posted by tiderider
Member since Nov 2012
7703 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:19 pm to
if you don't wanna watch cbs because he does or doesn't say the name, then that's your choice ... it's between simms and the network ...
Posted by Cisco Kidd
The 985
Member since Apr 2009
582 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:31 pm to
It's absurd they want to make the redskins change their name. Native Americans claim it's offensive but they have Native American high schools who call themselves redskins. I guess it's similar to the "n" word. It's only racist if a white man says it
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:33 pm to
quote:

They're not going to cost themselves billions in potential leverage just because Phil Simms won't say Redskins

I don't know the networks official position, but it would be hard for me to imagine abc and nbc not being interested in sunday afternoon nfl broadcasting rights

for abc it is a great lead in for shows (I don't know how this works with programming being increasingly targeted at females and ABC is at the forefront of this)

this wouldn't be shite if it was someone lower down the ladder, but simms gets cbs' top games...meaning everyone minus local NFL markets will see it...it is the most exposure...to have him

1. drawing attention to the fact he won't say it, and
2. drawing attention to a negative aspect of the NFL (not just the redskins) is sure to piss them off...that's not where they want the attention and it isn't the attention they want.

I would imagine there is a good possibility someone has reached out to CBS execs on behalf of the NFL. It is one thing for dungy to do it on a halftime show or highlight show, it is quite another for a high profile color analyst to do it on a national broadcast...personally, I would be irate if I had a financial stake in the NFL. Moreover, I think it is unprofessional, but I'm not losing sleep over it
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:38 pm to
Florio sucks fat balls now, but don't hold those against him

coming under the nbc umbrella has really ruined PFT for those who have been following since the beginning

The Rumor Mill was NFL nirvana...rumors, analysis, speculation...and the cool part was because florio would post rumors, he would break shite first...I used to check PFT for breaking news, but those days are gone...occasionally his analysis is spot the frick on. If there is any legal analysis needed, PFT is the site to go to...but news, rumors and speculation are a thing of the past

RIP PFT

Florio was so far ahead of everyone on the Vick dogfighting story...it was just some routine local thing about an associate getting busted, but florio took the limited info, speculated, gave analysis...low and behold, he had the whole ordeal mapped out months ahead of time

With that you would also get Terry Bradshaw dying type stuff, which was always epically hilarious

PFT was fricking great, now it is garbage unless legal analysis is part of the story...and florio is an entertaining writer/blogger, but the blurbs are no longer interesting now that he has staff contributing
Posted by Walking the Earth
Member since Feb 2013
17260 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:40 pm to
quote:

1. drawing attention to the fact he won't say it, and

I can agree with this. For some reason, everybody wants to have their "look at me" moment about this. Phil could have just done his little boycott and nobody would have noticed because:

1) He's an AFC booth guy so the odds of him having to deal with the Redskins at all in any given year is remote.

2) He's the color guy so he focuses more on the play at hand. Nantz, as the analyst, is the one that deals with the overall picture as well as the one that takes people in and out of breaks (thus needing to read things like the score and teams)

3) Booth guys mix up team and city names all the time. Guys will alternate between addressing teams as "Denver" and "The Broncos" (as an example) all the time. Unless they're looking for it, people won't notice how one addresses a team.

So, while I doubt this damages CBS's relationship with the NFL, I do agree that this was very teen girl of him.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:43 pm to
quote:

I don't think 31 other owners are gonna let the calling of one teams name have any substantial effect on future tv negotiations

I don't think 32 owners want the NFL being labeled as racist on nationally broadcasted GAMES

people don't want to hear shite like that, and they know it, and the NFL doesn't want phil simms telling a national audience (even so subtle as this) that they support racism.

I wouldn't think they'd care if he did it, but he made his intentions known in a very public manner.
Posted by Tiger1242
Member since Jul 2011
31925 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:43 pm to
quote:

It could get a little awkward in the booth, given that Jim Nantz, who works with Simms, plans to use the name because Nantz believes it is “not my job to take a stance.”

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:48 pm to
quote:

So, while I doubt this damages CBS's relationship with the NFL

I don't think it will...I'd bet my last dollar that Phil Simms will refer to them as "redskins" at least once...he'll cave the instant someone says anything because he really doesn't give a shite...this is literally about getting attention and pissing off redskins fans (he might be the most biased color analyst I've ever seen)

he had no problem saying it for years, I really doubt it's really even an issue for him.
Posted by tigerpimpbot
Chairman of the Pool Board
Member since Nov 2011
66940 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:49 pm to
quote:

I don't know the networks official position, but it would be hard for me to imagine abc and nbc not being interested in sunday afternoon nfl broadcasting rights

CBS only has a one year deal on Thursday night football as well.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:51 pm to
I had thought of that, they JUST got the Thursday night games...and cbs has an interest in this beyond advertising revenue...they want to plug their shitty shows that all do incredibly well BECAUSE...they have broadcasting rights to the NFL
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 12:55 pm to
phil will back down.

1. I don't think he cares
2. phil isn't really that valuable to cbs...he's not a must see personality like ESPN has with Gruden. CBS will tell him to shut up, and to say redskins, and they'll probably only ask him to do it very little, just so there isn't anything for people to write about, point at, or distract fans from the broadcast...

when games are happening on the field, I would imagine the NFL doesn't want any of this shite...they don't mind jibber jabber shows, highlight shows, blogs...but not while their product is on the field
Posted by jacks40
Baton Rouge
Member since Oct 2007
11877 posts
Posted on 8/19/14 at 1:20 pm to
quote:

I don't think 32 owners want the NFL being labeled as racist on nationally broadcasted GAMES

No one is doing that.

first pageprev pagePage 2 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram