Posted on 7/29/14 at 6:57 am to
I only need ESPN during football season. The rest of the time, its hot garbage
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:11 am to
That was me 8 years ago

right now the only sports media I consume is nfl radio on Sirius during the season...and Sirius fantasy
Posted by Jake88
Member since Apr 2005
68076 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:13 am to
I only watch saints and LSU games on espn. I haven't watched sports center in 20 years and could only name Berman as one of their personalities.
Posted by ItNeverRains
Member since Oct 2007
25430 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:15 am to
Reruns of sports center on low volume are like NyQuil for me in the wee hours
Posted by Zantrix
Parts Unknown
Member since Nov 2009
7940 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:33 am to
I honest to God haven't intentionally watched one of ESPN's talking blah blah blah shows in YEARS. Since the summer of Rachael Nicholls on Farves lawn while they had someone else following Tebow around, I turned it off. I don't even listen to sports radio anymore because they're blowing the same shite out of their asses that ESPN does, including DP who just can't stop talking about Sterling. I'm done with the shite. All of it.

I'll watch CFB/MNF on ESPN but that's essentially it. I'll watch football on there but that's it. I watch NHL Network for the hockey highlights, NBC/NBCsn for the live NHL games, Fox/CBS for the NFL games, and that's it for me.

ESPN is 100% a complete shell of it's former self, and I honestly don't get who is sitting around and watching people talk about people playing sports all day. I don't know how Around the Horn and PTI suddenly spawned off 20 hours of talking programs. I don't understand how people can put a tv show which shows a radio show in progress when they can just listen to it. Does watching the radio show on tv add some element of suspense?

I don't get it.
Posted by TbirdSpur2010
ALAMO CITY
Member since Dec 2010
134026 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:38 am to
Damn you had a lot on your chest this mawnin'

quote:

I don't understand how people can put a tv show which shows a radio show in progress when they can just listen to it.

I put it on sometimes in the background. I can't get ESPNRadio where I live so it's nice to listen to the shows sometimes when I'm puttering around the house.

And occasionally I'll watch a few of their talk shows just to see the doffer entry takes on major developments.

The network isn't perfect, but I'll never understand the "rah rah espn is the devil and must die!" crowd.
Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12400 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:39 am to
quote:

The Packers in the same sentence as Broncos, Patriots and Seahawks?

You mean the team that has won a Super Bowl more recently than the Broncos and Patriots?
Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12400 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:40 am to
quote:

I only need ESPN during football season. The rest of the time, its hot garbage

Agreed.
Posted by Zantrix
Parts Unknown
Member since Nov 2009
7940 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:43 am to
I'm not saying that they must die, but it would be nice to have the old sportscenter back that showed highlights instead of reading tweets and debating the impact of Lebron changing numbers for 20 minutes. I liked it when they showed obscure sports instead of twenty different shows yapping about the same 5 topics. Ever since it became gossip and speculation for 18 hours of the day I turned it off, but yet there are some people out there parked with a bucket of popcorn every day enjoying it according to the ratings - but nobody admits it.

Another thing that I got tired of was them reporting the gossip and rumors as fact with the tag line of "According to sources", but when it comes out as false they'll never apologize for shaming someone - such as that whole wiretapping/eavesdropping business they slammed Mickey Loomis with that turned out to be complete bullshite. Or when Mark Texeria was traded to the "Yankess, according to sources.." then wound up later in the day in Atlanta but they didn't bat an eye or apologize for reporting rumors as truth.
This post was edited on 7/29/14 at 8:47 am
Posted by nicholastiger
Member since Jan 2004
42421 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:43 am to
No one at ESPN does any real sports reporting. Not sure who there sources are. Their opinions drive ratings but are never right.
Posted by TbirdSpur2010
ALAMO CITY
Member since Dec 2010
134026 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 8:47 am to
quote:

it would be nice to have the old sportscenter back that showed highlights

They still do plenty of that.

And their presentation is better today IMO.

Not gonna pretend they don't get hung up on minutiae too, but it's hardly the bleak outlook you painted.

quote:

Ever since it became gossip and speculation for 18 hours of the day I turned it off, but yet there are some people out there parked with a bucket of popcorn every day enjoying it according to the ratings - but nobody admits it.

I pick and choose my shows. First Take, for instance, was entertaining as hell during these last couple of Finals. And if I watch any other shows, it's just to hear different hosts bandying about their takes on different major topics. I'm hardly glued to every word spoken or every show on, but it's usually entertaining for me, and that's why I follow sports: for entertainment.

It really isn't as bad as all that, is all I'm trying to say.

But to each their own
This post was edited on 7/29/14 at 8:49 am
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 9:03 am to
quote:

They still do plenty of that

except they don't. It used to be every highlight of every game from the big 4...essentially they do this, but you have to make time for debate sessions and personalities to get their time, etc. so while some games get highlights, a lot of "less meaningful" games get a 2 second clip and a score.

quote:

First Take, for instance, was entertaining as hell during these last couple of Finals

you know I have no issue with you, so please don't take this the wrong way...you're a young/ISH, black male (from what I've gathered)First Take is tailor made for you. In some ways just like people target other demographics, nothing to see here...but ESPN actually does do it in some pretty slimy ways.
Posted by Paul Allen
Montauk, NY
Member since Nov 2007
75168 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 11:55 am to
I quit watching after they got rid of cold pizza.
Posted by Cody Rambus
Columbia, Mo
Member since Mar 2013
1630 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 12:07 pm to
Mediacom doesn't have MLB Network

For real sports talk I listen to SiriusXM
This post was edited on 7/29/14 at 12:08 pm
Posted by tiggerthetooth
Big Momma's House
Member since Oct 2010
61145 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 12:22 pm to
I dont watch ESPN for the commentary. I only watch it because I have to for live sporting events. Screw everything about that place, I hope it totally fails.
Posted by tiggerthetooth
Big Momma's House
Member since Oct 2010
61145 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 12:22 pm to
quote:

I quit watching after they got rid of cold pizza.

Nice troll lol.
Posted by MusicMaster
Baton Rouge
Member since Jun 2012
1362 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 12:30 pm to
quote:

a lot of "less meaningful" games get a 2 second clip and a score.

Yup. Right at the top of the hour right before the show ends. And it will never Be the Yanks or Red Sox in one of those. They show almost every Yanks game and right after the game is over, they run a 8-10 minute highlight of those chumps. Horrible.
Posted by DoUrden
UnderDark
Member since Oct 2011
25965 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 12:45 pm to
I listen to ESPN radio at work but I haven't watched ESPN for anything other than games and gameday for years.
Posted by vengeanceofrain
depends
Member since Jun 2013
12465 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 1:02 pm to
Honestly, the eye candy, when it's on. That's about it.
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150596 posts
Posted on 7/29/14 at 1:31 pm to
quote:

You're lying

You're a liar

2 different things. It's not semantics at all.

Absolutely it is. Per google, the very definition of "liar" is "a person who tells lies." It doesn't have to mean that he tells lies all the time, just that he does.

So you definitely called him a liar (without specifically using the word), especially coupled with the rest of your responses (stating more than several times that you flat out don't believe what he was saying).

It's no big deal, but let's not ignore what you actually said.
first pageprev pagePage 7 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram