re: .

Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:46 pm to
Posted by LooseCannon22282
Mobile
Member since May 2008
33734 posts
quote:

But there always comes a point when fans and the general public are over it and done with that story

most of the time it isn't very hard to know when that time has come.

when they don't have anything new to report and just keep talking in circles... its a dead giveaway.

I think ESPN does a good job covering live events but a lot of their other stuff doesn't appeal to me anymore. I don't fault them for expanding their horizons though.

admittedly, I watch more of their shows during football season but I think its more out of habit sometimes.
Posted by Snakebucket
New Braunfels, Texas
Member since Sep 2011
3548 posts
People watch because it is the sports equivalent of reality tv entertainment junk food. Like Kardashians, Real Housewives, Teen mothers, and so on, it satisfies a basic (perhaps pathetically American ) need to wallow in other peoples lives, opinions, misery. It's legal voyeurism and it's much easier (for an increasingly brain-dead populace) to watch other people opine than to think and formulate opinions and share those opinions in an actual discussion with an actual person.
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150596 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:47 pm to
quote:

I hate the way that news is reported these days. Newspapers use to be a great thing but now its all social media and the internet taking over and it has affected how SC is run. Its crap.

I think this has a LOT to do with everything here...social media, especially something like Twitter, allows not just news, but everything, to be reported literally instantaneously. The very second something happens, people are tweeting about it or posting it on their FB, Instagram, etc. And that crosses into sports as well...people are constantly getting Twitter updates to their phones every time something happens in a game, or a final score, etc. So by the time SportsCenter comes on in the evenings, none of it is news anymore.

The speed at which we ingest information (and news) is so blisteringly fast these days that any news-reporting outlet, whether it be newspapers, TV shows, or even websites, is almost always far behind the news. So by the time it's time to report something, people already know about it. It's one reason 24-hour "news" channels exist. And a byproduct of that is that they will always strive to report "breaking news," even if they have to make it up or create it on the spot. ESPN has the Bottom Line, FOX and CNN have constant streaming news "breaking" on the bottoms of their respective screens. Not everything is important, but nobody wants to watch unimportant things, so channels have to sensationalize everything to garner viewers.

And it's ruining news television (including sports news).
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:47 pm to
quote:

People to lie about liking ESPN shows to appease you

do you honestly think no one who has posted in this thread doesn't AT LEAST occasionally watching pardon the interruption. No, I just want someone to tell me why they like it.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:52 pm to
quote:

It's legal voyeurism and it's much easier (for an increasingly brain-dead populace) to watch other people opine than to think and formulate opinions and share those opinions in an actual discussion with an actual person.

that's actually pretty good. Maybe it's a there's no one here to shoot the shite with about sports, so I'll turn it on espn and do it vicariously and maybe discuss it with the tv...I yell at the tv that guy can be a dick
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150596 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:53 pm to
quote:

and literally no one in this thread has answered that...you told me you like some espn and hate the stuff...I should have took you at your word, and waited for someone to say

"I watch first take and it's awesome and this is why"

I told you exactly why I watched AtH and PTI. I do enjoy seeing different takes on it (even though I know some will be stupid and make no sense), and on top of that it's two shows that basically list the "happenings" for the day/weekend in the sports world. So I can catch those two shows (and skip the uninteresting points) and basically be caught up on what happened today.

It's one reason I liked when SportsCenter went with the slideshow-like presentation of the show. They list upcoming highlights/points of the show. The problem is that often times instead of highlights of the day/night's sports, it looks like this:

Lebron interview
Fan reaction to Lebron
NY/Boston late drama
Lebron viral video
Broussard breakdown of Lebron
Cavs favorite for the title?
Phil Jackson on Lebron

They not only beat the horse to death, but then they stand there for three straight days beating the shite out of it until there is literally not another thing that can be said about it....and that's when they start talking about it for another 5 straight days.
Posted by hendersonshands
Univ. of Louisiana Ragin Cajuns
Member since Oct 2007
160104 posts
I don't know why people would lie about what they watch on television. Seems petty.
Posted by Dire Wolf
bawcomville
Member since Sep 2008
36590 posts
quote:

I think this has a LOT to do with everything here...social media, especially something like Twitter, allows not just news, but everything, to be reported literally instantaneously. The very second something happens, people are tweeting about it or posting it on their FB, Instagram, etc. And that crosses into sports as well...people are constantly getting Twitter updates to their phones every time something happens in a game, or a final score, etc. So by the time SportsCenter comes on in the evenings, none of it is news anymore.

I noticed this when sportscenter went live, which to me marked the end of it being worth while. They had to do it though because the internet was beating them to every story however they got away from highlights (the best part).

I guess their line of thinking is every can get the highlights they want online
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:54 pm to
quote:

do you honestly think no one who has posted in this thread doesn't AT LEAST occasionally watching pardon the interruption. No, I just want someone to tell me why they like it.

Of course we do. I occasionally watch ATH or PTI. I don't watch it on a regular basis though and even when I watch do it's only for a few minutes at most. I haven't watched a full episode in years.

If there is an issue in sports that is particularly interesting to me, I like to hear other people's opinions on things. Maybe they might be able to offer an angle that I had not yet considered. There are some blowhards on ESPN but even some of them offer cogent, valid viewpoints from time to time. Often I come away from these shows rolling my eyes, and sometimes, not often, I come away enlightened.

It's not perfect, but where else are you going to get that?
This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 2:56 pm
Posted by FAF
NOLA
Member since May 2014
1427 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:56 pm to
I watched some Crossfit games this weekend on ESPN3 and ESPN2.

..without ESPN, it wouldn't have been available live anywhere.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:02 pm to

quote:

because it's on tv!!

can't believe I missed this...

I still hate you though
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:05 pm to
quote:

I don't know why people would lie about what they watch on television. Seems petty.

'fox is just espn bashing un un un"

quote:

I don't partake in a lot of their gimmicky shows like Numbers Never Lie, ATH, PTI anymore though

quite different from

quote:

Of course we do. I occasionally watch ATH or PTI. I don't watch it on a regular basis though and even when I watch do it's only for a few minutes at most. I haven't watched a full episode in years.

If there is an issue in sports that is particularly interesting to me, I like to hear other people's opinions on things. Maybe they might be able to offer an angle that I had not yet considered. There are some blowhards on ESPN but even some of them offer cogent, valid viewpoints from time to time. Often I come away from these shows rolling my eyes, and sometimes, not often, I come away enlightened.

but I thought

quote:

Exactly. I'm at work during First Take, ATH, and PTI. I'm home for highlights, which I watch with the sound off. I keep it on the background. Other than that I watch for classic games. Any football that airs I'm almost sure to watch it for at least a little while. And if there's a 30 for 30 on any of their channels I'll likely watch it even if I've seen it several times.

"When you know someone's lying then you call them a liar!" - George Costanza

I'm going to go to my place in the hamptons...peace. I'll check back but I've ignored work for a bit too long now

This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 3:09 pm
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:10 pm to
Never said I didn't partake in any of them. Just said I didn't partake in a lot of it. If there is a particular issue I want to hear takes on, I can podcast it. The magic of modern technology I tell ya.
This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 3:13 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:11 pm to
quote:

The ESPN homers don't bother me nearly as much as the pretentious "I hate those guys. I don't even give them a click on their website, they are so shitty" people.

I definitely don't like "those guys" but I don't think it is necessarily a reflection of that person...I don't make judgments...you literally cannot help what you find entertaining.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:16 pm to
yeah, but that's what I'm talking about...you told me why you like the stuff that's unrelated...you went out of your way to defend espn, though I didn't attack them...and now you're saying you do partake in them even though they're on when you're at work, so either you go pretty far out of your way (admittedly I will extend to you the Sirius radio loophole)to watch it.

I literally don't care if you like it, I just wanted to know why, and you told me what you liked about everything else...and I didn't use the word "liar"...I said I don't believe you, and why should I?

no biggie, I don't think this is insulting, it's definitely not meant to be...you were just less than forthright and I could sense it

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:18 pm to
quote:

and this was helpful btw

but I am curious, is it like gauging public sentiment or are you interested in their particular opinion? I like to hear interesting people's opinions, even when they suck so again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with anything.
Posted by Jack Bauer7
Member since Jun 2012
5026 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:22 pm to
with so many apps and shite online i really don't watch it anymore for highlights,

i only watch the late night college football highlight show during the football season
Posted by wildtigercat93
Member since Jul 2011
112299 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:31 pm to
quote:

These threads are always funny, 90% of the folks come in and say they only watch for the games, meanwhile First Take and those shows are just crushing the ratings.

I don't have cable anymore so I rarely watch any live tv anymore besides sports. I don't feel the need to watch something just to be watching something

And i haven't watched first take in atleast a year for 3 reasons
1) no cable
2) I have a job so I'm not at home in the middle of the day
3) that show makes you dumber. Seriously you have to drop a couple IQ points after sitting and watching that show. There's no real discussion. Just two people yelling about made up stories

And honestly when it comes down to it, that last one describes 90 percent of sports talk and sports tv. It's just not entertaining for me.
Posted by LoveThatMoney
Who knows where?
Member since Jan 2008
12268 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:32 pm to
Ubiquity.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 3:32 pm to
quote:

i only watch the late night college football highlight show during the football season

what is strange is that college football naturally lends itself to debate more than any other sports since there is a partially subjective system in place in determining who will be the champion.

But the first time, I was like "wtf, why are they talking show me more highlights" was the crazy, and perhaps best college season ever 2007. It was so black and white and everyone had such a strong opinion and were sometimes kind of nasty about it (craig james comes to mind) they weren't discussing, they were each launching in to their own harangue about who deserved this spot, that spot, and so forth.

but yes, highlights or more highlight centric programming attracts me as well, I just feel like highlights (a former staple), is just something to play while we have people talk...it is almost as if they have it as a supplement for their talking heads.

That's not what people want, or at least more people want the debate format, so they gravitated that way...but I miss it (like after a crazy good nfl game)
first pageprev pagePage 5 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram