Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:39 pm to
quote:

Though it help established what the expectation was 

They said 8 

I was at 4 

They won 2 

Failure is a strong word but it wasn't a success

Then the OP needs to be clarified.

Are you asking what they think of what we think?

I assumed it was what we think, which means what they think is irrelevant.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:44 pm to
what you think

I've been pretty honest. While failure is technically the right word for how I see it, It is very harsh.

Amazing, if they pull this series out and win, I'd put them at the threshold of success and everything beyond that would be lagniappe.

I've referenced their own expectations because it has been suggested that "LeBron haters" (I'm not one) have unreal expectations...these guys thought they'd win fricking 8. So 3, 4, maybe 5 isn't unreal

Especially after 2 straight, 3 straight finals appearances (and I thought they were better than the mavs, LeBron was a no show in that series)

the first season after losing to the mavs, they look like they "got it" and played determined and intense ball.
Posted by SBC
Member since Oct 2005
6870 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:44 pm to
100% success.
Posted by Tiger n Miami AU83
Miami
Member since Oct 2007
45656 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:51 pm to
Obvious success.

Overwhelming focal point of all basketball fans.

One of only 3 teams in NBA history to make it to 4 straight finals.

Back to back championships.

Not even any question.

Now, LeGoat will be back in Miami next year most likely and the Heat will probably win tonight, so it isn't over, but it has already succeeded.
Posted by RTR America
Memphis, TN
Member since Aug 2012
39600 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:52 pm to
quote:

They wasted money on Greg Oden and Michael Beasley.

super cheap, 1 year deals, maybe even vet minimums?

quote:
They had to let Mike Miller, who started in 4 finals games last year, just walk.

the cap penalty rules were instituted after all of this, and Miller would have cost the team other $23 million this season alone with the added penalties.

We are on the same side here for a change

My point was they had limited money to work with and sort of missed on finding ways to sustain their run with it.

Pat Riley and their FO I thought did a tremendous job initially in surrounding the big 3 with the right type of players. It just feels like they were reaching this past year.

Let Greg Oden relearn how to play basketball elsewhere and let Beasley go be a stoner somewhere else.

Their big 3 has played 10,000 more minutes than the Spurs big 3 the past 3 seasons. They needed to find more depth to allow those guys some rest.
Posted by fightingtiger2335
heh?
Member since Aug 2007
61157 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:52 pm to
quote:

Funny that people actually entertain the thought that it's a failure 

Every team would take titles and be thrilled with it. No one is debating that the heat didnt have what other teams would kill for. But 90% of teams would dream of having 1 title evert 10 years. Different teams have different expectations. Everyone knows as far as compared to rest of league of course it isn't near a failure..... but to the players they very well may say they underachived on the finals they lost. If there goal for the season was title and nothing less than title then in their eyes failure would fit
Posted by KCTigerFan212
Kansas City
Member since May 2014
243 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:58 pm to
If they lose, it's still a success. If two titles and four conference titles in four years aren't considered successful, our expectations are out of control.

That said, they fail to join the all-time great teams in my opinion. They're not the Russell Celtics, the 1980's Lakers or Celtics, the 1990's Bulls or even the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

They'd fall on that second tier of all-time great teams with the Bad Boy Pistons.
Miami
Member since Oct 2007
45656 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 4:59 pm to
The Heat are not a great fit but they have found a way to win, mainly because LeGoat gonna LeGoat.

Have people forgotten how many were saying zero titles for the Heat with the Big 3 after they lost to the Mavs?

The Heat have not had a post presence or point guard the entire 4 years. Birdman they picked up off the scrap heap. He wasn't even on a roster and he is the best big man they have had. They have nothing at point guard. LeBron and wade play the same position and bosh is basically a power forward with a jump shot.

Yet the Heat have been the best in the game and made it to all these finals with some historic accomplishments. That is a huge credit to LeGoat.
Miami
Member since Oct 2007
45656 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:00 pm to
Agree with all of that.
Posted by fightingtiger2335
heh?
Member since Aug 2007
61157 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:00 pm to
Fwiw I don't think its a failure. I just think lot of people were missing the question of the op.
Posted by Colonel Flagg
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2010
22825 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:06 pm to
While the accomplishments of the Heat the last four seasons was not a failure a few things to consider.

They were at a fricking pep rally when they said not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5....... Not really something to truly criticize them over other than the fact they are putting on a pep rally for the worst fanbase in the league.

The way OKC built their team is not admirable as they sucked until they could make high lotto picks over and over. The only truly admirable team building in my lifetime is really the small market Spurs as they constantly draft well and develop players. The Heat 2010 offseason was not some bs way to build a team when you compare the power the big market teams have had until recently in running the league. As a big NBA fan I didn't have a big deal with it and don't really see why anyone else should either. Again Duncan doesn't have a max deal and he is an active NBA legend. He took less money to put better players around him similar to the way James, Wade, and Bosh.

Also I think it was miscalculated how poorly Wade would complement James. It is also obvious Wade has declined faster than many thought. I think he has been the weakest link of the core three. Bosh accepted his role early and worked on changing his game to complement the best player in the league. Wade has played selfishly since they got together, has not improved his game, and has begun to decline limiting his minutes. James has obviously improved his game by becoming a better jump shooter, post player, and solidified himself as one of the best defenders in the league regardless of position. IMO one of the reasons they lost to Dallas was because Wade couldn't space the floor and kept the Heat from playing their most effective offense.

Finally the new CBA completely ended any chance this team had long term.
Posted by RTR America
Memphis, TN
Member since Aug 2012
39600 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:08 pm to
quote:

The way OKC built their team is not admirable as they sucked until they could make high lotto picks over and over. The only truly admirable team building in my lifetime is really the small market Spurs as they constantly draft well and develop players.

Well the Spurs had to suck one season to end up with arguable the greatest PF ever.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:09 pm to
quote:

They were at a fricking pep rally when they said not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5....... Not really something to truly criticize them over other than the fact they are putting on a pep rally for the worst fanbase in the league.

When the other so called 'super teams' formed, there wasn't a massive sold out offseason pep rally...Why? Because everyone thought it was the formation of a dynasty
Posted by c on z
Zamunda
Member since Mar 2009
127471 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:11 pm to
quote:

Wade has played selfishly since they got together, has not improved his game, and has begun to decline limiting his minutes.

Based on the # of 3pt. shots he's taken, and # of overall shots he's taken since that time, this makes no sense.
This post was edited on 6/15/14 at 5:12 pm
Posted by molsusports
Member since Jul 2004
36141 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:14 pm to
it would be a success but below expectations
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111148 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:23 pm to
quote:

what you think 
This may come down to semantics, really.

I thought they'd win 3 by now and thought they'd at least threaten 72.

It has absolutely been harder than I thought it would be for them.

That being said, what they've done, while not as much as I thought, can't be argued a failure IMO.
This post was edited on 6/15/14 at 5:24 pm
Posted by Sun God
Member since Jul 2009
44874 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:24 pm to
quote:

Amazing, if they pull this series out and win, I'd put them at the threshold of success and everything beyond that would be lagniappe.

3 out of 4 would be just "the threshold of success"? You're trolling. You've gotta be. No one is that fricking stupid.
Posted by Colonel Flagg
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2010
22825 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:25 pm to
Well last year you could tell he was upset that he wasn't involved enough during the middle of the playoffs. Why even act like that?

Also he sucked balls spacing the floor against Dallas which forced James into sitting at the 3pt line. Wade has still not improved his 3pt shooting. Bosh has done it.
Posted by Boomtown
Member since Jan 2014
1986 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:28 pm to
quote:

Kind of underwhelming if you ask me

What NBA fan base wouldn't be satisfied with two championships in 4 years? Don't be stupid, unless you're trolling, which methinks you are.
Posted by The_Hornet
Member since Jun 2014
546 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:33 pm to
quote:

If you seriously thought they could win 8 in a row then ok

Well to be fair, LeBron never said anything about in a row, so I won't hold him to 8 in a row. And I never thought the East would be as bad as it was the last 4 years.
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 9Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram