Started By
re: .

Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:36 am to
Posted by Sophandros
Victoria Concordia Crescit
Member since Feb 2005
45218 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:36 am to
Or at least call one play giving Kaepernack a run/pass option.

Or run at least one zone read play.

I think Jim out smarted himself.
Posted by schexyoung
Deaf Valley
Member since May 2008
6534 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:39 am to
quote:

Fox Mulder

Do you have google alerts setup for Harbaugh?

Haters gonna hate, but in only two seasons he has taken the niners to the NFC champ game and the Super Bowl.

Posted by Kige Ramsey
Member since Jul 2007
44412 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:42 am to
Posted by RollTide1987
Augusta, GA
Member since Nov 2009
65038 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:45 am to
Where is this rule about DBs allowing to hold after the ball is in the air? This is the rule I found on NFL.com about defensive holding. Nowhere does it mention this particular exception:

quote:

A defensive player may not tackle or hold an opponent other than a runner. Otherwise, he may use his hands, arms, or body only:

(a) To defend or protect himself against an obstructing opponent.

Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

Note: Once the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball to a back, or if the quarterback leaves the pocket area, the restrictions (illegal chuck, illegal cut) on the defensive team relative to the offensive receivers will end, provided the ball is not in the air.

I take that to mean it doesn't matter if the ball is in the air or not, you can't hold a receiver beyond 5 yards. Crabtree was clearly being held in the end zone.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:47 am to
It was on PFT last night. This might be the first harbaugh thread I've started and I wanted the 9ers to win anyway so

Posted by tigerpimpbot
Chairman of the Pool Board
Member since Nov 2011
66918 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:47 am to
I hate the saints, the niners and the ravens. But Crabtree ran a shite route on that play. The DB took away the slant, forcing him outside and for whatever reason, Crab jogged up to him, jumped in the air and then tried to get outside. It was a horrible route. He probably was groggy from taking that vicious shot to the helmet on the play before, but the fact is Crab ran a shite route and the ref didn't bail him out.
Posted by Draconian Sanctions
Markey's bar
Member since Oct 2008
84839 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:48 am to
So running a bad route means we throw out the rule book?
Posted by Archie Bengal Bunker
Member since Jun 2008
15520 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:48 am to
quote:

actually, in looking at a frame by frame breakdown of the play, once the ball is in the air Crabtree is the one who initiated more contact. The initial contact is within 5 yards of the LOS so that is legal.

Yea, but you can't put your arms outside of the receiver and grab hold just because he touched you first.

quote:

Good no call, especially with the way the entire game was called, including the Smith 1st down

This is what it boils down to for me. The Coach has to recognize how the refs are calling the game. The refs called it the same way all night. They didn't, as some in the media have suggested, get caught in the big moment and make a different call on that play. Jim made a bad play call, and he is trying to justify it. It was almost like he was expecting the play to end in a penalty. which, if he was paying attention the whole game, just wasn't going to happen.

Related, I would have lined up and ran that same play to the outside with Gore blocking. That call looked perfect, but the timeout/ clock management fricked 'em.
This post was edited on 2/8/13 at 8:49 am
Posted by tigerpimpbot
Chairman of the Pool Board
Member since Nov 2011
66918 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:50 am to
quote:

So running a bad route means we throw out the rule book?

No, it just means the ref keeps the flag in his pocket on a close call.
Posted by swagsurfin7
Founder of the Alex Morgan Fan Club
Member since Dec 2009
6992 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 8:56 am to
quote:

He should chill on the bitchfest, but the point he makes is a valid one. The game should be called consistently throughout the game, whether its the first play or last.

It was called consistently. They barely called anything all night. Hell a Ravens player pushed an official to the ground & didn't even get flagged. He's supposed to be ejected.

I'd be more upset at the play calling on the last 3 plays. That was terrible.
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
110778 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:27 am to
All the guys complaining about him complaining, when your teams lose on a bad call, you completely get over it, forget about it, and never mention it again?

And that's as fans, he kind of has a little bit more at stake than us regular fans.

I don't blame him for being mad. If he did an interview and they asked the question, then answer it honestly.
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
202797 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:27 am to
quote:

The game should be called consistently throughout the game, whether its the first play or last.

IMO this game was call the same throughout. You could tell from the first few plays that the refs were gonna LET THEM PLAY.
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
202797 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:29 am to
quote:

And if I'm so wrong then why has the entire sports world outside Baltimore and New Orleans agreed that it was a penalty.

LINK??????????
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
202797 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:30 am to
quote:

but in only two seasons he has taken the niners to the NFC champ game and the Super Bowl.

I think he is a great coach. But his play calling at the end was Les MIles like.
Posted by Archie Bengal Bunker
Member since Jun 2008
15520 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:32 am to
quote:

I think he is a great coach. But his play calling at the end was Les MIles like.

It wasn't that bad.
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
202797 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:35 am to
quote:

It wasn't that bad.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:49 am to
1. He is openly criticizing the nfl officiating on the biggest stage. He's a coach not a fan. No no.

2. I would still be pissed but I would be disappointed to see SP still complaining. Never would happen anyway, he was totally effed by goodell and didn't say a word.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:54 am to
quote:

It wasn't that bad.

Kind of. It was probably worse since I can explain les miles' decisions...he's an idiot. Harbaugh is a top coach.
Posted by Sophandros
Victoria Concordia Crescit
Member since Feb 2005
45218 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:54 am to
Man you're dense.

The only penalty they could have called against the Ravens DB there would have been PI. Unfortunately for SF, Crabtree was guilty of a lot of contact himself AND the ball was uncatchable.
Posted by schexyoung
Deaf Valley
Member since May 2008
6534 posts
Posted on 2/8/13 at 9:56 am to
quote:

There were two run plays called (one QB run and one read option), but both audibled out of due to the Ravens stacking the box and run blizting.

On the last play Delaine Walker is open, but Caepernick didn't see him and was forced to rush a throw to Crabtree.
This post was edited on 2/8/13 at 9:57 am
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram