ESPN on Thursday ended its official association with “Frontline,” the public television public affairs series, on a two-part documentary about concussions in the N.F.L. that is scheduled to be televised in October. After 15 months on the venture, ESPN chose to strip its name, logo and credit from the films, “League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis.”
In a statement, ESPN said: “Because ESPN is neither producing nor exercising editorial control over the ‘Frontline’ documentaries, there will be no co-branding involving ESPN on the documentaries or their marketing materials. The use of ESPN’s marks could incorrectly imply that we have editorial control.” ESPN added that it would still “cover the concussion story through our own reporting.”
LaPlaca said ESPN’s decision was not based on any concerns about hurting its contractual relationship with the N.F.L.
Oh well, at least they won't let the NFL use them to blame everything on the Saints, like they did last year.
This post was edited on 8/23 at 2:39 pm