Started By
re: .

Posted on 9/18/17 at 8:36 am to
Posted by supatigah
CEO of the Keith Hernandez Fan Club
Member since Mar 2004
87435 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 8:36 am to
what makes you think no one is talking about the defense?

Posted by Bengaltyger4life
Lafayette, Louisiana
Member since Oct 2014
422 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 8:41 am to
In case you forgot, LSU had one defensive tackle out for the game and another went down early in the game and didn't return. Two defensive players ejected from the game and young secondary and all you can do is point the finger. Offense wasn't productive as well, WR dropping passes, offensive lineman missing blocks when the man is lined up over them. Punter shank a kick. This is a team effort, they loss now lets get over it and move on and get better.
Posted by lsupicker
Member since Oct 2015
1283 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 8:49 am to
Maybe we should just give them all a chance. It will be OK
Posted by TigerAxeOK
Where I lay my head is home.
Member since Dec 2016
24786 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 8:56 am to
I don't know what the hell Pete Jenkins has to do with the loss. He is a nationally proven commodity. He is a fricking living legend, respected by the NCAA through the highest levels of the NFL. We are damn lucky to have him. He has a system that has put countless Dlineman into the NFL, and turned countless college and NFL Dlineman into beasts.
Posted by boweswi05
birmingham
Member since Aug 2016
5659 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 8:59 am to
Our defense looked soft and I was in the stands.

Most of the time it was a 4 yard gain before we ever was in a position to tackle RB or QB.
Posted by airfernando
Member since Oct 2015
15248 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 9:34 am to
quote:

The real riddle is why did the best defensive coordinator in the country get abused so badly.
Not a riddle. Mullen is an excellent offensive mind. Very easy for him to confuse young players. Plus we were without our Rashard. Ed got hurt, but he's extremely soft. He's not the answer. Gilmore is average and Lac is average or worse. The Dline is bad, basically. Arden can get some pressure, but he's not a great run stopper.
Posted by BillF
Monroe, LA
Member since Jan 2006
5001 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 9:37 am to
Last year, Jim McElwain said he talked to Nick Saban to get his advice about playing LSU. He said Saban regretted not lining up and just running the ball right at LSU earlier in the game.

Florida had an atrocious offensive line, but there was one drive where they just lined up and ran the ball right down our throat and we absolutely could not stop them. It was shocking how easy it was.

It will be interesting to see if Bama, Florida, Auburn and Tennessee try the same approach this year, and what kind of success they have.
Posted by DaBike
Member since Jan 2008
9140 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 9:48 am to
It's been discussed
Posted by setinways12
Baton Rouge
Member since Sep 2015
989 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 10:10 am to
The defense started slowly last year as well. Sure, we didn't give us 37 points early in the year but the performances against Wisky and Auburn were average at best. Auburn could/should have scored more points than they did. They controlled the LOS and clock.

HOWEVER, sometime around the middle of the season the defense starting playing better. By the end of the year they were top 5. I fully expect (especially with the young kids) for this team to do the same. This is pretty typical for a well coached unit....improvement throughout the year and peaking in bowl season.

I would hope the offense would do the same but at this point what I'm seeing is not very encouraging.
Posted by geauxcoco
Greenville, SC
Member since Apr 2007
11023 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 10:18 am to
quote:

Remember there were at least 3 State scoring drives extended by penalties when the D held on third down.

This....and when you count our TD taken back this could of been a much closer game. Still would have lost though
Posted by Petroleum Adam
Dallas, Texas
Member since Sep 2015
437 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 10:21 am to
quote:

maybe because O hired an 80 year old man to coach the defensive line?

Age has little to no correlation to coaching ability.
Posted by dgnx6
Baton Rouge
Member since Feb 2006
68593 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 10:31 am to
quote:

Most of the time it was a 4 yard gain before we ever was in a position to tackle RB or QB.

Seemed like states d were ready to gang tackle any LSU player that touched the ball, while LSUs defense was slow to react. It comes down to desire and playing for the guy next to you.
Posted by Solo Cam
Member since Sep 2015
32631 posts
Posted on 9/18/17 at 7:48 pm to
quote:

you can say this but we had 3 DL starters not play due to injury and ejections
We had 1 starter out and 2 guys that rotate in go down and we had no one else. Thats because we've missed on a ton of Dline recruits- Marvin Wilson, Ed Oliver, Phidarian Mathis, Isiah Buggs, Shavar Manuel, Kendell Jones and Raekwon Davis since O has been here. We're weak there because of O.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 2Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram