I feel like ive missed out not playing ANY of the metal gears.
It's a series that I can't recommend without at least some reservation. (I've only played the mainline games, none of the handheld stuff.)
- To get the full effect of the story, you need to play them in release order.
- The first game hasn't aged very well (though there is a remake that's fared better).
- As the series goes on, they wrestle control away from the player more and more to tell the story. This ends up with you watching
the game as much or more than you are actually playing
- The story is (IMO) needlessly complex and if you don't enjoy it, it's going to be hard sitting through those 30 minute long cut scenes or codec conversations.
Having said all of that...
- It has some of the most memorable gaming moments and characters of the last 15 years, as you've seen just in this thread.
- They're still really fun games
- All of them are full of interesting details, little easter eggs and secrets to discover.
- Though convoluted, the stories are really original especially for video games. The stories cover such things as: war, how genetics shape people, how information is transferred from one generation to the next, the nature of video games, society's ever growing reliance on technology and that's just scratching the surface.
You could just play them all as straight up stealth games, largely ignoring the story, but doing so would miss the point.
This post was edited on 6/14 at 2:51 pm