Started By
re: .

Posted on 7/25/16 at 8:50 am to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 8:50 am to
i hope the bonus levels are more like the star road levels from super Mario world

I didn't like the time constraint/shadow Mario rehash from 3d land. it wasn't very challenging, but it was also unoriginal.
Posted by oauron
Birmingham, AL
Member since Sep 2011
14512 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 8:55 am to
Pick Peach or git gud.

quote:

P.S.S: For your enjoyment Fox

This level was also fun. Never felt the game was hard though. I didn't try to get 3 stars on every level though.
This post was edited on 7/25/16 at 9:06 am
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 9:11 am to
Yeah, that's one of the things about new Mario games. They only present a challenge for the completionist; this game though offers some of my favorite levels in years. Galaxy series was awesome, but everything outside of that post 64 has been way too easy and uninteresting. The 2d scrollers especially. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were the last great Mario games though
Posted by BulldogXero
Member since Oct 2011
9764 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 9:28 am to
quote:

fact, this is the first Mario game in a long time to really offer a challenge. Once you get to the final worlds, shite is hard

Are you talking about the post game stages? The main stages up to the end of the game are extremely easy.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 10:30 am to
i go for 3 stars, stamp and gold flag. If getting to the end of the level is the determination of difficulty there hasn't been a challenging level since Mario 2
Posted by BaddestAndvari
That Overweight Racist State
Member since Mar 2011
18294 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 11:49 am to
quote:

This level was also fun.

does not compute:

quote:

I didn't try to get 3 stars on every level though.

You have to get every single star, flag, and stamp to even unlock this level
Posted by DieDaily
West of a white house
Member since Mar 2010
2644 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 12:35 pm to
While this level was a difficulty spike in the game, it's no where near the hardest level in the history of platforming (and I'll acknowlege you were probably joking to some degree).

The trick I found is to fight the urge to jump. You can just run from one side of the block to the upward facing side as it moves. In fact, the little creatures sitting on the first block show you this as a hint.

My 6 year old son and I still play this game together off and on because we haven't gotten nearly all of the stars yet. This is one of the levels that he stayed in a bubble for while I completed it.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/25/16 at 1:01 pm to
it's surely hyperbole. Mario games haven't been hard for a long time, but this one level if you're playing for stars, stamps and gold flag...is a motherfricker. the camera makes it a bitch too because my special perception is just completely off when going off the cliffs...if I just want to clear the level, yeah, I wouldn't describe this one as being as difficult, but it's still a challenge. I'll have to revisit those two flying pigs at the beginning. I think I need the boomerang flower powerup. if I can handle the block without a tail, then this would make the stars and stamp much easier.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/26/16 at 8:25 am to
Ok, I did what you said and I feel like a fricking idiot. Not hard doing that, and I did it without any power up.
Posted by CockHolliday
Columbia, SC
Member since Dec 2012
4516 posts
Posted on 7/26/16 at 8:45 am to
This game drove me batshit insane as a kid

Ninja Gaiden level 6-2 for NES

and then after all that, this

Final boss level
Posted by DieDaily
West of a white house
Member since Mar 2010
2644 posts
Posted on 7/26/16 at 10:34 am to
quote:

I did what you said and I feel like a fricking idiot.
No worries. I did the same exact thing. My wife walked through the living room just as my son and I got to that level and she could see how frustrated I was getting dying repeatedly. She asked if she could try (she also failed) and while she was playing I noticed the little critters running to each side of the block without jumping. That's when the light bulb went off.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/26/16 at 12:35 pm to
i'm feel more stupid because noticing the pigs should've been obvious. that's such a Nintendo thing to do, and it was so obvious.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/26/16 at 12:38 pm to
I will say that it offers zero room for error, even a second long distraction and you're dead. that block flips quickly and you have to anticipate when it will change direction (not hard, but again, you miss it and you're dead)

best looking Mario game by far. I was initially turned off by the cat suit which is still kind of...um...you know, and it takes a bit for the level design to get creative.
Posted by vengeanceofrain
depends
Member since Jun 2013
12465 posts
Posted on 7/26/16 at 4:52 pm to
quote:

This game drove me batshit insane as a kid

LINK

I don't think I ever made it past level 2 of Ninja Gadien. The level.. shite lol, after the first level where you're going the other way (right to left)

from the comments section

quote:

When we were deployed into Afghanistan in 2007, trying to beat NInja Gaiden was the toughest thing we struggled against, and we blew up a lot of shite. When one of us finally did it, there was much rejoicing and shedding of manly tears. We put him in for a medal, but the leadership declined it. I'll never forget that unsung hero, forgotten by his nation.?
This post was edited on 7/26/16 at 4:55 pm
Posted by GeorgeTheGreek
Sparta, Greece
Member since Mar 2008
66439 posts
Posted on 7/28/16 at 2:08 am to
Cakewalk compared to getting 120 stars on Mario 64.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/16 at 9:12 am to
Mario 64 was the perfect balance...it wasn't too easy, but it wasn't too difficult. I was never frustrated by that game, but i'm old now, so perhaps I would be if I played it now.
Posted by GeorgeTheGreek
Sparta, Greece
Member since Mar 2008
66439 posts
Posted on 7/28/16 at 10:23 am to
Rainbow Ride to collect all 100 coins was a huge bitch.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/16 at 10:53 am to
pain the arse, sure, difficult, not so much. I haven't played that level in close to 2 decades though so I could be wrong.

I remember everyone hated the penguin slide...if you let the penguin overtake you at the right moment, he won't knock you off on that last big turn...it's easy.

I'm at the bonus levels on 3d world, and they're among the hardest Mario levels I've played in a while.

first pageprev pagePage 2 of 2Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram