Started By
re: .

Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:39 pm to
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:39 pm to
quote:

the point is polls can very easily have the effect of suppressing voters when they show a candidate romping over another
Except this can work both ways (why vote when Hillary has a lead).

In addition, when you compare 2012 and 2016, which showed similar national margins, the polling was biased in the opposite direction.

In other words, there is no evidence that polling suppresses one candidate's chances.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:41 pm to
quote:

So because they ask additional questions (primarily favorability of each candidate and their views regarding candidates' job competencies), that makes their polling flawed?
you don't see that happening

do you agree with Donald trump that Hillary Clinton is the devil?

BRAIN: oh wow, he said that...like literally the devil?

ANSWER: no

who are you going to vote for

BRAIN: not the nut job who thinks his opponent is literally satan

ANSWER: Hillary Clinton

yeah...long story short. PPP did that.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:45 pm to
quote:

Except this can work both ways
when the biggest obstacle to getting Hillary elected is the enthusiasm of trump supporters...it's pretty smart fricking idea. Make his supporters feel like it won't matter

WikiLeaks...did you read them? My suspicions are not easily dismissed with the information and results in hand

of course, and I believed this was a likely result, that there is a threshold of enthusiasm, where you're just digging your own grave. we'll never know what the effect of the polling was and how it changed things, but it's hard to imagine it didn't have an impact one way or the other. and we'll never know if that impact made the difference and in which direction.
This post was edited on 11/10/16 at 3:47 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:49 pm to
quote:

which showed similar national margins
I don't give a frick about national polling.

let's look at the states that mattered in 2012 and in 2016 and you'll see 2016 is very unique.

I never suspected this in 2012 and still don't for 2012. I think 2016 absolutely had agenda motivated or money motivated pollsters skewing shite Clinton.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:51 pm to
and was there a national poll in 2012 that had Obama down 13 points?

I know you're not dismissing me, but I am curious aren't you at least suspicious of the polling if you look at it from beginning to end.

at no point do I think Donald trump was down 12 nationally...except for maybe a short period following pussygate, but even that is a stretch. (ETA: I didn't mean to make a pussy joke there )

ETA: I feel good about the results. polling will not be trusted. for those already suspicious, it confirms your suspicions. for Clinton supporters who thought this was in the bag...judging by their reaction, this will stick with them. it also tells me that most people see through the sensationalized distractions of news media and print media but that is another topic.
This post was edited on 11/10/16 at 3:54 pm
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:52 pm to
quote:

why did they forward her the debate questions ahead of time?
Because they had some hack pundits. Most polling is NOT done by the news organizations (although they pay for it). They are done by organizations or universities who have an obligation to--and who are evaluated by--their accuracy. CNN may have a bunch of hacks, but the polling organization they hire (Opinion Research Corporation), is a research organization whose businesses relies on their competency.
quote:

like I said, this was different and it was bad enough to where my suspicion is super fricking reasonable.
Skepticism is fine, but knowing their incentive to be accurate, should alleviate that. Not to mention, the misses (error) had a high demographic correlation (white, non-college educated). The pollsters were wrong, and that is on them, but there was a clear reason why they were wrong.

They didn't have that level of inaccuracy in Nevada, New Mexico, Florida, Virginia, Colorado, and Arizona (all within + 2 points for Trump; within average miss of +0.47) because the demographic differences.
quote:

you can't separate the names from who does the polling. is NBC going out of business? WSJ?
The news organizations will be fine, but their pollsters may not have that luxury.
quote:

It's useless when there is an alternative...the mirror.
Both have looked poorly for me. I guess men do gain weight during their wife's pregnancy.
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:03 pm to
quote:

and was there a national poll in 2012 that had Obama down 13 points?
No. But there was a Romney +4 at one point which was 7.9 points off. 2012 was a very stable polling year too.

In addition, using NYT's final popular vote projection of Clinton +1.2, a +9 poll for Hillary would be a comparable polling miss.
quote:

but I am curious aren't you at least suspicious of the polling if you look at it from beginning to end.
Given the nature of the election and the frequent bombshells and the unfavorability of both candidates; I not suspicious. (+13 is extreme though). I mean the LA Times poll (which I actually like) has been given some undue praise for their prediction. Yet, they are going to be one of the most inaccurate polls. They had Trump +6 nationally on 11/05; a 7 point difference and a > 4 point difference on their final day of polling).
quote:

at no point do I think Donald trump was down 12 nationally
And he surely wasn't +6 three days before the election; at least the +12 poll ( although widely inaccurate) was pre-Comey and > 2 weeks before the election.
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:07 pm to
quote:

ETA: I feel good about the results. polling will not be trusted. for those already suspicious, it confirms your suspicions.
Well nationally at least, the RCP average was Clinton +3.3, which is not significantly different than Clinton's +1.2 final projection.
quote:

for Clinton supporters who thought this was in the bag...judging by their reaction, this will stick with them.
As it should, but the reactions would have been just as strong the other way too.
quote:

it also tells me that most people see through the sensationalized distractions of news media and print media but that is another topic
I disagree here. Just see how things changed after the Trump tape leak and after the Comey investigation. Although my logic is somewhat circular (using the polls, but also the reactions on here), but people responded to both, probably disproportionately at that.

But the media is terrible the way they sensationalize things.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:08 pm to
quote:

Because they had some hack pundits
she works for cnn, but let's accept that.

someone at cnn gave her those questions.

and that's to say nothing of jake tapper and wolf blitzer coordinating (in tapper's case directly) with the dnc and Clinton campaign directly

quote:

but there was a clear reason why they were wrong
yeah turnout but the turnout was ludicrous on its face. which suggests to me...a deliberate act.

and this is to say nothing of the tightening. part of me was upset about the comey announcement because it gives them plausible deniability as to why the polls tightened as much as they did (while still being way the frick off)

but look at the margins with the exception of his brief week long run in September. they had him down in AZ, close in TX, UT was a tossup between him and mcmuffin

quote:

but their pollsters may not have that luxury.
not if they did what they were told.

quote:

Nevada, New Mexico, Florida, Virginia, Colorado, and Arizona
some of the pollsters that have stood out to me had florida fricking off. RCP doesn't mean shite to me. averaging is stupid anyway. I use it to show how an outlier flips the rcp result that people trust. what can rcp do but average results

florida was considered a 3-gazillion point win by most pollsters over several months and then BOOM it's close. they get a pass because they can explain that away as fbi news. OH, huge trump win, most had him winning or tied and they were still waaay off. PA, WI, MI, MN, NC...polls were out of the ordinary wrong. and states that matter...they were all wrong for Clinton.

come one. doesn't matter. if you don't believe that it's not me saying something bad about you, but most people see through it, and they're explaining it away exactly as I was before I started to suspect deliberate manipulation

lots of undecided, 2 unlikeable candidates.
Posted by cwill
Member since Jan 2005
54752 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:11 pm to
I have to stop being stunned at how little people know about or understand statistical analysis and forecasting.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:12 pm to
yeah, LA Times wasn't super accurate on that...they at least are doing something unique and not standard and their polls are reported in such a way. and the media didn't flash LA Times across the front screen, but NBC/WSJ/Marist, PPP Quinnipiac does.

and again...polls showing Clinton up absurd amounts dwarfed number of polls showing trump up comfortably, and at a given point in time the total of polls showing him winning very well was like 2
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:14 pm to
yeah, you're super fricking smart, huh? say something or suck my dick. you're so smart, why were you so wrong? the polls were wrong, you made fun of people for suggesting that...and guess what...they're fricking wrong.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:15 pm to
quote:

I have to stop being stunned at how little people know about or understand statistical analysis and forecasting.
fox mulder's predictions were way more accurate than nate silver's and I didn't need to dedicate my life to them...who would've thought?
Posted by RobbBobb
Matt Flynn, BCS MVP
Member since Feb 2007
27898 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:48 pm to
quote:

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics: The Manipulation of Public Opinion in America, by Michael Wheeler (W.W. Norton & Co. 1976; Dell paperback 1978).
quote:

'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'

quote:

8 June 1891 "Sir, —It has been wittily remarked that there are three kinds of falsehood: the first is a 'fib,' the second is a downright lie, and the third and most aggravated is statistics'

quote:

Robert Giffen in 1892: three types of unreliable witnesses, a liar, a damned liar, and an expert

quote:

Nature, page 74 November 26, 1885: :"A well-known lawyer, now a judge, once grouped witnesses into three classes: simple liars, damned liars, and statisticians

Damned Lies and Statistics: Untangling Numbers from the Media, Politicians, and Activists (2001), by University of Delaware sociologist Joel Best

Nate is in the group, worst of liars. He used statistics to bolster his not so well hidden bias
Posted by cwill
Member since Jan 2005
54752 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:54 pm to
quote:

fox mulder's predictions were way more accurate than nate silver's and I didn't need to dedicate my life to them...who would've thought?

Nate didn't say he wouldn't win the presidential race, nor did he claim that his method was foolproof and specifically noted the high error level in this election.

You're anecdotal guess that Trump would win proved correct, but it wasn't any kind of true forecast - it was just a guess. So let's put your WAGs up against Silver's analysis over numerous elections and let see who's more accurate...you do understand that if you say someone has a 30% chance of winning doesn't mean they will definitely lose, right?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:56 pm to
quote:

Nate didn't say he wouldn't win the presidential race
as a technical matter...no. as a practical matter...are you fricking high?

quote:

win proved correct
that's what matters

quote:

, but it wasn't any kind of true forecast - it was just a guess
for north Carolina it was based on information from previous elections...I said minimum 3 maximum 5...which you know means median 4...he won by 4

so you can suck my cock
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 4:59 pm to
what's funny is that while i'm no expert, I took 2 prob/stat classes and I had As. so to say I know NOTHING is

but I guess i'm an uneducated white man trump supporter, yup I went to an elite boarding school and then decided...frick college

not that there's anything wrong with that, and I actually know a couple who did (they joined the marines)
Posted by cwill
Member since Jan 2005
54752 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 5:00 pm to
quote:

Nate is in the group, worst of liars. He used statistics to bolster his not so well hidden bias

That's why he predicted the Republicans take control of both houses of congress in 2014? The Democrats hated him then.

The dude is just a stat nerd that started off coming up with PECOTA...got bored with baseball stats and applied his skills to politics. He's been way more right than wrong and everyone who he shows is more likely to lose than win hates him at that moment.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 5:02 pm to
But he doesn't make predictions, that's your claim

Has he ever made a prediction that anyone couldn't make by virtue of living on planet earth
Posted by cwill
Member since Jan 2005
54752 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 5:03 pm to
quote:

as a technical matter...no.

As a factual matter.

quote:

quote:
win proved correct
that's what matters

In a zero sum wager yes, but that's not what he was doing.

quote:

so you can suck my cock

Look dude, I know you're desperate for someone other than your mother to touch you dick, but I'll pass.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram