Started By
re: .

Posted on 11/10/16 at 2:56 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 2:56 pm to
nate grades the polls, but i will acknowledge that if the polling is garbage his model is useless, but that's the point i made repeatedly, and he defends against that saying "model accounts for BLANK" I spent an hour on NC...sperging the frick out, and I had trump winning 3-5 points...which means 4. i predicted 47 states, where is nate's scorecard?

my summary of the entire nate discussion that's been had for a long, long time:

2016 is the year a combination of abstract reasoning and anecdotal evidence buttfricked data back to the stone age

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 2:58 pm to
also, consider why he does this and what is the demand for what he does

an ACCURATE state of the race...just yes or no, do you think nate provided that? and if you say no because the election is only held once, and then i say to you "EXACTLY"
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 2:58 pm to
quote:

elections don't have efficient stats with high correlations.
They are pretty high, and usually with 2 points. This year, with exceptionally high misses in the 17 swing states, they were still within 3.9 points on average. They're far from perfect, and there were far fewer polls this year, but they still correlated quite well.
quote:

his approach to this is just garbage
How is it garbage? The polls are a proxy for the general election. Their greatest flaw is that they can't measure turnout; however, there isn't really a better metric to gauge the views of the population than polling.
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
84870 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:00 pm to
Trafalgar also missed Trump by 9 points in Utah - +10 compared to +19 actual. They had Trump +5 in Nevada and he'll lose by 2.4 there, so off by 7.4. Missed Trump by 3 points in Colorado.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:03 pm to
quote:

Their greatest flaw is that they can't measure turnout
i agree, which makes them useless. Add to that the turnout they were predicting and now I see deliberate manipulation. Some of them don't even make it available. we weighted it according to current census, etc. and you're just going to have to take our word on that.

quote:

gauge the views of the population than polling.

the second part of the equation is that news agencies just say...here's the poll. there is never any scrutiny for pollsters and that's total fricking bullshite, but that's the fault of the news media.
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
84870 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:08 pm to
quote:

but keep defending his 70/30 prediction, it's admirable

You can disregard him because he was wrong - and he was - but his 70/30 prediction is as good of a chance as ANY pollster who was making predictions on the overall race. If you want to disregard all pollsters, that is fine, but what 538 does is still the best way to do it, even if the inputs are horseshite.

quote:

He could have won without PA, or
He could've won without FL, or
He could've won without WI

If we're going to be intellectually honest, you have to lump PA, MI, and WI into one group. Trump was either going to win or lose them all.

People despise 538 because A) it doesn't jive with what they want it to say, and B) they look at a map of blue and red states and fail to look at the numbers and discussions that support those colors.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:09 pm to
you're strengthening my point though. polls are total bullshite, and they're all over the place nailing one and not the other. differing from each other in numerous ways...but differing greatly

that was the first indication that all of this polling was crooked or at the very least inaccurate.

then they said Utah was a swing...

then i started looking at their bullshite

and it's only worth looking at the states that the election hinged on. the point is polls can very easily have the effect of suppressing voters when they show a candidate romping over another
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:10 pm to
i know everyone had it wrong, which speaks to my larger fricking point, the subtext of which i'm laying on pretty thick

but nate is the gold standard...so i don't care if he's the smartest kid on the short bus. the point is that he's on the short bus.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:12 pm to
quote:

They are pretty high, and usually with 2 points
and based on outdated information...again, the one time event is the big problem here...it doesn't lend itself to statistical forecasting and this is the 3rd election in a row they've been off, and each one is worse than the last...but this one was unique. everything was thrown at trump...including phony arse polling.
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
84870 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:14 pm to
quote:

i agree, which makes them useless. Add to that the turnout they were predicting and now I see deliberate manipulation.

The deliberate manipulation stuff is pretty far out there IMO. The majority of pollsters are academics first and foremost. Nate Silver is an avowed Dem, no question about it, but lets be logical about this. This guy's reputation took a massive blow - one from which he may not recover - and you think he did so on purpose?

Can you imagine the praise a pollster would be getting if he or she had predicted all of these outcomes this year? Why would they manipulate the data and accept the massive embarrassment in lieu of getting it right?
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
84870 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:15 pm to
quote:

but nate is the gold standard...so i don't care if he's the smartest kid on the short bus. the point is that he's on the short bus.

Fair enough. I'm not really trying to defend him from the criticism of being wrong, but I think the suggesting that he did it on purpose is incorrect.
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:18 pm to
quote:

an ACCURATE state of the race...just yes or no, do you think nate provided that?
It was a pretty accurate picture. This is why he discussed the very outcome
The Odds Of An Electoral College-Popular Vote Split Are Increasing

He argued that the state races were far more uncertain
Election Update: National Polls Show Clinton’s Lead Stabilizing — State Polls, Not So Much

He argued that despite her polling, her position was much worse than Obama in 2012
Election Update: Why Clinton’s Position Is Worse Than Obama’s

He was forced to argue against the other modelers about Trump's chances
Election Update: Yes, Donald Trump Has A Path To Victory

He highlighted the uncertainty due to undecided voters
Election Update: Where Are The Undecided Voters?

He even had to defend Trump's odds when before the Comey bombshell where others were giving Trump less than 1% when Clinton had her largest polling margins
Election Update: Why Our Model Is More Bullish Than Others On Trump.

In addition, he even questioned Hillary's campaigning in Arizona while giving Trump credit for campaigning in Wisconsin and Michigan.
Not only is it justifiable for Trump to be campaigning in WI or MI—it's absolutely the correct strategy. Whereas Clinton in AZ is dubious.

He even went off on the hack liberals at Huffington Post who were criticizing him for giving Trump a good chance of winning.
Nate Silver rages at Huffington Post editor in 14-part tweetstorm
quote:

There's a reasonable range of disagreement. But a model showing Clinton at 98% or 99% is not defensible based on the empirical evidence.
The model is the model. It uses the data to make a prediction; however, I think he should be commended for actually analyzing the state of the races, including the campaigning choices and the uncertainty. While everybody else was predicting a landslide, he was arguing against that.
This post was edited on 11/10/16 at 3:20 pm
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
84870 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:20 pm to
quote:

the point is polls can very easily have the effect of suppressing voters when they show a candidate romping over another

That may be true, but I'd argue it only HELPED Trump in this case. If you see polling coming out that PA is Clinton +4, and you're a marginally motivated voter, I'd argue the pro-Clinton voters stay home and the pro-Trump voters get their arse to the polling places.

I've actually read that opinion from quite a few pissed off Clinton supporters. They're arguing the polling errors suppressed their turnout, and I think they have a point. That point flies in the face of the conspiracy on this board.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:23 pm to
I get that, i'm clarifying why i'm pointing out nate silver

about a month ago he attacked kellyanne Conway's credibility as a pollster...so this cocksucker is fair game when his results suck this bad and varying reports on the accuracy of Conway's internals. some reported theirs sucked too, but the ones that say they were dead on are more believable when you look at where they spent their time with such little time left

they were crucified on cnn and fox for going to Minnesota and they only lost by 40,000
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
84870 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:24 pm to
quote:

Nate Silver ?@NateSilver538
When you go low, I go high 80% of the time, and knee you in the balls the other 20% of the time.

Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:24 pm to
quote:

i agree, which makes them useless
It doesn't make them useless; it just makes them flawed. Just like BMI is a flawed measure of obesity, but it's not useless.
quote:

Add to that the turnout they were predicting and now I see deliberate manipulation.
Why would the pollsters deliberately manipulate it? Some may go out of business because of their poor polling. And did they also deliberately manipulate it AGAINST Obama, who people (especially the liberal media) like WAY more than Hillary?
quote:

here's the poll. there is never any scrutiny for pollsters and that's total fricking bullshite, but that's the fault of the news media.
Agreed. But at least 538 tries to have an objective evaluation of the data. Hence, their articles discussing the very real possibility of the outcome that occurred as well as highlighting Trump's campaign approach in Michigan and Wisconsin while criticizing Hillary's campaigning in Arizona.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:29 pm to
I agree...I think it backfired. and in addition to the turnout, another way they showed deliberate skewing was the questions they asked and the order they asked them. I get why campaigns ask a lot of questions because they want to target people but for public consumption purposes the ethical way of doing it would be

are you voting

are you registered to vote

trump or Clinton

D, R or I

race

and with that you'll give people the state of the race at a point in time and won't influence the ultimate answer which is who the frick are you voting for

Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:29 pm to
quote:

about a month ago he attacked kellyanne Conway's credibility as a pollster
Link? I couldn't find that, unless you're referring to people calling her out for citing an online Drudge poll post-debate. It's expected from a campaign, but she is better than that.
quote:

varying reports on the accuracy of Conway's internals
I don't know how accurate this tweet is, but Conway allegedly said their internals showed Trump down in Pennsylvania. Kellyanne Conway says on CNN campaign internals show Trump down 4 in PA.
quote:

but the ones that say they were dead on are more believable when you look at where they spent their time with such little time left
Silver even commended their campaign approach in the rust belt. They had to flip states (an offensive strategy), and they chose the one's with their best chances. She did a great job, but it would have been a great job even if they lost.
quote:

they were crucified on cnn and fox for going to Minnesota and they only lost by 40,000
Because those are hack pundits. Again Silver defended their approach.
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:34 pm to
quote:

but for public consumption purposes the ethical way of doing it would be

are you voting

are you registered to vote

trump or Clinton

D, R or I

race

So because they ask additional questions (primarily favorability of each candidate and their views regarding candidates' job competencies), that makes their polling flawed?

Besides, polling is expensive. If you get a captured audience, it would be inefficient to not ask additional questions.
quote:

and with that you'll give people the state of the race at a point in time and won't influence the ultimate answer which is who the frick are you voting for
If those questions are presented after they provide their candidate endorsement, it wouldn't have an impact. I mean PPP asks some terribly biased left-leaning questions, yet their polling has historically leaned R.
This post was edited on 11/10/16 at 3:37 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 11/10/16 at 3:38 pm to
quote:

objective evaluation of the data
you cannot separate comments, tweets, anything from them from what they publish. I would not agree with this, but it is an opinion.

quote:

Why would the pollsters deliberately manipulate it?
why did cnn ask Clinton campaign for questions to ask republicans? why did they forward her the debate questions ahead of time? agenda and/or money? I don't know, but I suspect a few possible answers

quote:

did they also deliberately manipulate it AGAINST Obama
I suspect not, the state polling was worse here in the states that mattered, the ones that get air time. like I said, this was different and it was bad enough to where my suspicion is super fricking reasonable.

if the desire is an accurate state of the race and your state of the race is flawed...it is useless. But of course, i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt as to their intentions.

quote:

Some may go out of business because of their poor polling
you can't separate the names from who does the polling. is NBC going out of business? WSJ? Marist college?

what about Quinnipiac university?
quote:

Just like BMI is a flawed measure of obesity, but it's not useless

we really agree here. BMI is fricking stupid, but I disagree. It's useless when there is an alternative...the mirror.

first pageprev pagePage 3 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram