Started By
re: .

Posted on 10/15/14 at 11:38 am to
Posted by baybeefeetz
Member since Sep 2009
31635 posts
Posted on 10/15/14 at 11:38 am to
quote:

i have never heard of a non compete actually being enforced. I think its just scare tactics.

I have. Numerous times. Often it seems like the employer wants to take the person out of the market not because they can really harm their business, but to send a message to other employees who have non-competes. I mean, it doesn't just "seem" that way.
Posted by Retrograde
TX
Member since Jul 2014
2900 posts
Posted on 10/15/14 at 11:52 am to
quote:

i have never heard of a non compete actually being enforced. I think its just scare tactics.

Definitely depends on the industry. In mine, they will take you to court if you are profitable enough without hesitation and will usually win.
Posted by Roaad
White Privilege Broker
Member since Aug 2006
76472 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 6:36 am to
quote:

Do you feel the same way about employers who require union membership as a condition of employment?
A single employer, or an entire industry?
Posted by Tiger n Miami AU83
Miami
Member since Oct 2007
45656 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 8:27 am to
Seems odd and ridiculous for a sammich shop to have a non-compete, but doesn't matter as it wouldn't be enforceable.

I had to sign one at both of my previous employers. The non-competes I signed just said I could not solicit clients I did work for while at the firm to go with me if I went to work at a competitor firm. Totally understandable.
Posted by Ex-Popcorn
Member since Nov 2005
2128 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 8:37 am to
quote:

Seems odd and ridiculous for a sammich shop to have a non-compete, but doesn't matter as it wouldn't be enforceable.

wrong. enforceable so long as limited in duration and geographic scope. In Louisiana, the max duration is 2 years.
Posted by Tiger n Miami AU83
Miami
Member since Oct 2007
45656 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 9:20 am to
When I said enforceable, I'm talking from a practical standpoint, not a legal one under state laws I don't know. Should have been more specific.
Posted by lsufanintexas
Member since Sep 2006
5010 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 9:43 am to
quote:

that is going to be completely non-enforceable.

That's not entirely correct. To make a non-compete enforceable, I have to give something in exchange. In our case we give money up front in exchange for an employee signing it. At least that's how we write our's here in Texas and we've been able to enforce them.

Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48304 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 11:05 am to
quote:

Louisiana courts

quote:

have been very pro business in deciding non competes

Utterly false
Posted by SpartyGator
Detroit Lions fan
Member since Oct 2011
75410 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 11:11 am to
quote:

Yeah, I was reading on some of that stuff with IT Staffing Agencies recently. I was curious if it's really that big of deal.
Posted by SpartyGator
Detroit Lions fan
Member since Oct 2011
75410 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 11:18 am to
quote:

baybeefeetz

quote:

Retrograde

Thanks, I saw your posts a bit after. Thanks for your insight
Posted by member12
Bob's Country Bunker
Member since May 2008
32095 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 11:19 am to
That's not easily enforced in a case like Jimmy Johns.
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57187 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 12:47 pm to
quote:

Should employees have a right to work without having to agree to a non-compete?
Odd. I wasn't aware of any laws requiring NCAs for employment.

As for private two-party agreements, it's up to those making the agreement. One cannot sign away rights, but, working for a competitor isn't really a right. You still have a right to work after signing a NCA, you simply agreed to specific terms you chose to exercise those rights under.

Keep in mind NCAs are very difficult to enforce. agreements without specific location and time lengths, which would be abandoning ones rights) are 100% unenforceable.

This, like most faux-outrage facebook posts is trite and inconsequential. Waste of time.
This post was edited on 10/17/14 at 2:05 pm
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram