re: .

Posted on 7/15/14 at 1:37 pm to
Posted by Zach
Gizmonic Institute
Member since May 2005
112447 posts
quote:

Then the United States didn't put a man on the moon.

Nope. Subcontracted jobs with private firms. Of course, NASA got a ton of money to direct where the confiscated funds would be used.
The astronauts were govt because they came from air force backgrounds.
Posted by TrueTiger
Chicken's most valuable
Member since Sep 2004
67783 posts
Army Corps contracts out its projects.
Posted by Navytiger74
Member since Oct 2009
50458 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 1:39 pm to
quote:

air force backgrounds.

Cough, Navy too.
Posted by Navytiger74
Member since Oct 2009
50458 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 1:39 pm to
quote:

Army Corps contracts out its projects.

So they never built anything? Really?
Posted by TrueTiger
Chicken's most valuable
Member since Sep 2004
67783 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 1:46 pm to
It depends on if you define financing as building I guess.

They are required by law to bid projects out.

They even RFP the engineering.

Fedgov could bid out all COE functions and do away with it altogether and I doubt anyone would notice but the laid off COE people.
Posted by AbuTheMonkey
Chicago, IL
Member since May 2014
8002 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 1:54 pm to
Just spent a weekend at Sleeping Bear Dunes...

I think we have an outstanding national park system. I'm not sure the quality, diversity, and quantity would be anywhere approaching what it is without federal administration.

That's about all I have.
Posted by BigJim
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2010
14491 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 1:54 pm to
Lot's of stuff. But I think you are asking the wrong question.

"Is there any good or service produced by the government that cannot be done more cost effectively by the private sector?" is the better question.

Of course you have to acknowledge that some things should not be done by the private sector even if cheaper (but a lot of debate can be had about that).

I think it would be interesting to outsource congress to a bunch of think tanks for say 8 years as a trial run. I would be curious to see the results.
Posted by Zach
Gizmonic Institute
Member since May 2005
112447 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 1:56 pm to
quote:

Cough, Navy too.

Sorry bout that.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:05 pm to
That's what I thought, but for some reason I was under the impression my peacoat was made by uncle sam, in boot camp I had to work in the uniform thingamabobby, and they had women sewing garments, not tailoring, sewing (i.e. piecing together)

not on a large enough scale to provide those items to everyone even on base, but I always found that to be curious.

the government has created goods (that other companies make) they have made some goods, and they do provide services (USPS, admin functions, dmv, etc.) and I'm not speaking specifically federal or state

to surmise: I left the OP vague because there is a lot of splitting hairs...I guess to rephrase, does the government purchase anything of quality (I'm curious as to the prices for these items) that are THEN issued to employees/service members/etc. Additionally, do they provide any service that is excellent?

Posted by mauser
Orange Beach
Member since Nov 2008
21521 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:08 pm to
They dig nice ditches. The one they dug in N. Arizona is sort of interesting.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:12 pm to

quote:

I like the interstate highway system

wow, so I suppose you love the constant increase and decrease in lanes that jams traffic from NOLA to Kenner.

and I wouldn't call that a service rendered. They built them for quick transport of military personnel and vehicles. Think with a cold war mentality.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:17 pm to
quote:

but government-funded technologies and innovations have had a profound impact on the world.

what started my intrigue today...I saw a glow stick on tv early this morning.

I feel I've clarified the OP to everyone's liking and it is more precise as to what I'm asking

Posted by mmcgrath
Indianapolis
Member since Feb 2010
35386 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:19 pm to
Air Travel in the US is one of the best run and safest despite being one of the most complicated systems anywhere... largely due to government services and regulations.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:31 pm to
I disagree tremendously with that.
Posted by SpidermanTUba
my house
Member since May 2004
36128 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:32 pm to
quote:

Nope. Subcontracted jobs with private firms. Of course, NASA got a ton of money to direct where the confiscated funds would be used.
The astronauts were govt because they came from air force backgrounds.

Stupid Americans wanna take all the credit. They didn't build anything!
Posted by mmcgrath
Indianapolis
Member since Feb 2010
35386 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:49 pm to
quote:

I disagree tremendously with that.
And I used to value your opinion so highly.

Any details you care to share?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:51 pm to
Obviously NASA deserves credit for putting a man on the moon. It is a great achievement and a symbol of a time when the government had a reputation for doing some great things

But not in line with what I was looking for in the OP which admittedly was hastily done and poorly written
Posted by TrueTiger
Chicken's most valuable
Member since Sep 2004
67783 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:56 pm to
quote:

does the government purchase anything of quality

Oh hell yes!

The B-52 is a magnificent beast!

Browning M2 50 Cal., M-1 Garand, 1911 45 Cal. -WOW! I could go on but you get the idea, they buy a lot of really good stuff.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:57 pm to
no because it's a thread all by itself. For such a complex system, which you admit yourself, your statement is incredibly vague. Airline safety regulations is an expansive subject so I definitely don't have the time to discuss airline regulation in its entirety.

And why can't I disagree without :rollseyes: ? Surely you don't expect a detailed breakdown of each regulation, their practicality, usefulness and an analysis of their implementation? Another time perhaps

This post was edited on 7/15/14 at 2:58 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/15/14 at 2:59 pm to
The .50 cal, I used to man one is a beast, planes, tanks and vehicles aren't really what I had in mind

Navytiger seems to get what I'm speaking about. Must be the awful AFN commercials he's constantly exposed to
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram