I meant to start this last month but I forgot so I missed many in between pictures but I still have a bit to go. I will try to go back and fill in some of the holes and then post more updates as progress moves on. The Story:
I need a bigger safe so after Christmas I was planning on picking up a Liberty. My wife has a coworker that has been moving around every 6 mths to a year and each time, he drags this safe along. He asked if she knew anyone looking for a safe, so I get the call.
He sent pictures and I researched it (Misty Morn) and it was about what I was looking for except it was a bit older but this ended up being one of those 'favors' you sometimes get sucked into doing. He did throw in a real nice Amsec wall safe so the deal seamed decent.
After getting it, I immediately realized I hated the interior. The shelves are your typical MDF but with age they had started sagging. Also the finish fabric was a terrible mauve color and was exactly like those velour blankets.
Although not needing another home project on my plate, I decided I was going to refurbish the interior and make it how I wanted. The Plan:
Tear out the inner fire liner (keeping the exterior shell and fire line intact), caulk up all the seams with fire barrier caulk, replace the inner liner (was 1" gypsum) with 1/2 hardy backer board and then glue (using fire rated adhesive) cork flooring (3/8) to that.
I am a huge fan of cork and the properties it brings so I figured it was a perfect fit and would give me something a bit unique.
I also need to replace the metal skids it came on. They were the factory skids which picked it up off the floor about 3" and one was so badly bent that I was afraid it might buckle. I am not planning to bolt to the floor at this moment but I wanted it off the floor so I need to replace the skids with a stand. The Safe:
It is a Misty Morn 22-25 gun safe.
Weighs around 700 lbs so it is quite heavy for a safe in that size class. Gutted safe:
*pics to follow Panels:
I will post more but these are 1/2 hardy backer board with 3/8 cork flooring glued. The backerboard is cut to fit and after glue is set and cured, I flush cut with a router the cork flooring.
This post was edited on 8/31 at 10:12 am