Started By
re: .

Posted on 3/27/15 at 8:15 am to
Posted by TotesMcGotes
New York, New York
Member since Mar 2009
27872 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 8:15 am to
So it's really based entirely on emotions and relationships?

Also, he's WAY too intense for an 82 game season. The NBA wouldn't be healthy for him.
Posted by TigerinATL
Member since Feb 2005
61480 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 8:22 am to
quote:

Get on Tyreke when he plays like a dumbass, not be so loyal to Ryno when he's off

Lack of history means he might not be loyal to Ryno, but what makes you think he wouldn't be loyal to Tyreke rather than riding his arse? This "he coached them 1 year in college" is almost as bad an argument as "Avery is local". Guys are bought in, that's not the problem with this team. I don't know much about Cal but I do believe I've seen mention of his dribble-drive offense and how it might fit the personnel we have. If I were to get excited about him it'd have to be about what he can bring strategically, not that he has an established relationship with our franchise player. I guarandamntee you that whoever is the next coach will go out of their way to have the best possible relationship with AD. The business doesn't work any other way.
Posted by CQQ
Member since Feb 2006
17048 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 8:28 am to
I understand what you're saying about Tyreke and you might be right but I don't think you can dismiss the fact that AD and Monty are tight. I think AD's established himself enough that Demps (if he's still here..he better be) and/or Loomis will have a conversation with AD about firing him. If he thinks there's a good chance Cal makes the jump, I think it's more likely he's ok with Monty going. We don't know the in's and out's of the relationship AD has with Monty and/or Cal, just assuming.

There's logic behind that unlike Avery is local.

I don't think you can downplay the importance of relationships with the amount of time these guys spend together.

Is it not plausible our non-emotional, nice coach doesn't mesh well with a team full of non-emotional, nice guys?
Posted by Cap Crunch
Fire Alleva
Member since Dec 2010
54189 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 11:17 am to
quote:

I think AD loves Monty & wouldn't be happy if we fired him unless Cal was coming.

This was my line of thinking as well.

Though Davis has worked with Thibs before on team USA. Anyone know how well Davis likes him?
Posted by ShamelessPel
Metairie
Member since Apr 2013
12721 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 11:33 am to
As I said in another thread. Cal's UK teams play defense, play hard all the time, share the ball, and have no egos. Considering he is working with pampered 5* recruits constantly, that's impressive.
Posted by TigerinATL
Member since Feb 2005
61480 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 11:38 am to
quote:

Considering he is working with pampered 5* recruits constantly, that's impressive.

That might make it easier in some ways. "You don't want to do it my way I'll freeze you out give the ball to your teammates more and you can say goodbye to the Lottery."
Posted by Thurber
NWLA
Member since Aug 2013
15402 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 11:56 am to
Would be nice if it happened
Posted by mattz1122
Member since Oct 2007
52781 posts
Posted on 3/27/15 at 5:45 pm to
Why would you want Calipari as an NBA coach?

You can't recruit players in the NBA.

That said, I wouldn't be mad if the Pellies hired him.
Posted by Lsujacket66
Member since Dec 2010
4792 posts
Posted on 3/28/15 at 9:35 pm to
quote:

Coached 2 of our most important pieces. I'm sure they would be all for it. I don't pretend to know about all the x's and o's but this team lacks a fire. They have a lot of nice guys. Nothing wrong with that and beating your chest doesn't mean you're good. But with the personalities of a lot of our guys, coupled with the low key, nice guy head coach might not be the best combination.

We need someone that can light a fire in these guys sometimes. Get on Tyreke when he plays like a dumbass, not be so loyal to Ryno when he's off, let EG run the offense when we have no movement with Reke, etc. Possibly put a top 15 defense on the floor with Asik, AD & Jrue.

I just think it's time for a change.

Also, players would want to come play for him...
Posted by JeffG20
Member since Sep 2014
622 posts
Posted on 3/28/15 at 9:42 pm to
quote:

You can't recruit players in the NBA.

Bull crap we see it with players all the time lol.

Besides, might have some guys that want to play for him again, its a form of recruiting just having him.

Everyone on the market is a question mark anyway.
Posted by Galactic Inquisitor
An Incredibly Distant Star
Member since Dec 2013
15176 posts
Posted on 3/28/15 at 9:51 pm to
quote:

Bull crap we see it with players all the time lol.

Besides, might have some guys that want to play for him again, its a form of recruiting just having him.

Everyone on the market is a question mark anyway.

You can recruit all you want, but the salary cap wins out.
Posted by JeffG20
Member since Sep 2014
622 posts
Posted on 3/28/15 at 9:54 pm to
quote:

You can recruit all you want, but the salary cap wins out.

Agreed, but there is still some element of recruiting going on. Never been a believer of players getting guys to come to NO (people said CP could do this) but I think coaches might be a bit different.
Posted by VOR
Member since Apr 2009
63486 posts
Posted on 3/28/15 at 10:09 pm to
Recruiting isn't the issue. But anyone who thinks Calipari isn't a very, very good coach is nuts. The guy knows what he's doing. I doubt he has any desire, for the time being, to return to the pros.
Posted by JeffG20
Member since Sep 2014
622 posts
Posted on 3/28/15 at 10:12 pm to
I'm not sure, rumors keep popping up his failure in the NBA is eating at him. I know he just signed a new deal as well but teams usually have out clauses for these types of situations.
Posted by ssgtiger
Central
Member since Jan 2011
3283 posts
Posted on 4/1/15 at 11:46 am to
I don't understand why people are saying they think we will be a good NBA coach. He did try that already and was not successful. I'm not saying that it is impossible for him to do better in another situation, but its not as if we don't have something to go by. I think he would be foolish to leave UK.
Posted by RileyTime
Gulf Breeze, FL
Member since Oct 2008
6929 posts
Posted on 4/2/15 at 1:04 pm to
No WE aint... I am going for Mich State.

If they win, I get $220... If they come in second, I get $110.

Posted by BluegrassBelle
RIP Hefty Lefty - 1981-2019
Member since Nov 2010
98968 posts
Posted on 4/2/15 at 2:31 pm to
quote:

Recruiting isn't the issue. But anyone who thinks Calipari isn't a very, very good coach is nuts. The guy knows what he's doing. I doubt he has any desire, for the time being, to return to the pros.

It's sad I have to come to the Pels board to read this.

I will say that I'd be surprised if he took an NBA job that wasn't coaching Lebron. Had he not had all the guys coming back to UK this season, I have no doubt he would've taken the Cavs job. I don't know if he still bolts at this point just because I think he wants to just make the NCAA as miserable as possible.

Something else to consider is his son Brad just reclassified to the 2016 class. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to stay around to coach him before he goes either.

It is looking like Donovan may be avaliable though.
Posted by Jim Rockford
Member since May 2011
98180 posts
Posted on 4/2/15 at 6:02 pm to
That's like pulling for Bama on the remote chance Saban wants another shot at the NFL.
Posted by Galactic Inquisitor
An Incredibly Distant Star
Member since Dec 2013
15176 posts
Posted on 4/5/15 at 10:05 am to
And Calipari underachieves yet again.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 2Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram