Started By
re: .

Posted on 3/6/15 at 3:50 pm to
Posted by SpqrTiger
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2004
9260 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 3:50 pm to
One of the mistakes that people make when comparing the movies is that they compare one movie to another, made decades later... without considering how they, the viewer, has changed in that time.

You are not the same person that you were when you were 12. Your tastes and tolerance for imperfection have changed over time. In order to properly evaluate a movie, you have to take into account your point of view, from child to adult.

That being said, the prequels really weren't very good, and I'm sure if I were watching it as a 12 year old, I would view them as inferior to the originals.

As for the new movie, I am expecting more of the same spirit of Star Wars, with what's likely to be an underwhelming story that no one is really going to care all that much about. Just get the action scenes right and don't do anything radical with canon characters, and everything will be fine.
Posted by Tigris
Mexican Home
Member since Jul 2005
12353 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 3:53 pm to
quote:

I hate how I've steered this thread from a Star Wars to a "Abrams f*cked up Star Trek" discussion.

Maybe, but I've enjoyed it. And I'm with you 100%. I'd heard Star Trek (2009) was supposed to be very good (currently 7.8 on IMDB). The movie appalled me from beginning to end. And it started as soon as Pine came on the screen. What a horrible Kirk and horrible butchering of everything that made the TV series so fun.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 3:53 pm to
quote:

And I forgive him for appearing in the Abrams' films.
if any of the actors deserve hate for the movie, it's nimoy. He understands star trek. He directed the search for spock. You'd think at some point he'd say "this isn't star trek". Chris Pine just gave the performance that abrams wanted from him, and he does a pretty good job. Abrams just made the movie the studio told him to make.

anyway, they aren't as bad as someone would think talking to you but I do totally understand your hatred of them...because the same shite happened to people who loved the star wars trilogy. We got 3 movies that weren't star wars, and the concluding film to the original trilogy was so unworthy of the distinction.

I'm not as concerned about them injecting ramped up sex appeal to star wars...mostly because the original cast is included, and they're old and unattractive. Moreover, they're pretty central to the movie so maybe the characters will be strong again because no one wants to project themselves as an aging luke skywalker or fat carrie fisher...or crypt keeper Harrison ford.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 3:58 pm to
empire has forced amputation, torture, death, evil...I think child movie goers like quality just as much as adults.

the idea that the first 2 movies were made for children is a lie by Lucas to deflect from the criticism of the prequels. something along the lines of "I'm not worried about the bad reviews because these are kid movies and they said the same thing about the originals"

the first two were critically acclaimed (particularly empire) and won academy awards (and the academy doesn't love sci fi)

it has nothing to do with the age of the audience...and even if that were true, it's not a positive statement about lucas that he didn't grow with his audience. Did he not mature over 2 decades?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 4:04 pm to
it's relevant to the discussion...abrams is directing another beloved sci fi franchise that has suffered through porous quality

the plus here is he isn't remaking them
Posted by asurob1
On the edge of the galaxy
Member since May 2009
26971 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 4:10 pm to
quote:

I used "probably" because I don't know, but the movie was made to appeal to people who didn't like star trek...they made no bones about it.

This will be my last Star Trek post in the Star Wars thread, like Ace, I dislike taking the OP's thread off the rails.

I liked the reboot because it returned to the public what Star Trek in all its mindless TV series, including TNG, had been lacking.

Fun.

Star Trek TOS was first and foremost about adventure. It was fun to watch. The writing kicked arse, the storylines (ignoring Spock's Brain) usually took on something socially relevant, but mostly it was just fun.

I found every "Star Trek" series after that rather dull. No real adventure. Instead we were trapped with the inner workings of the Klingon empire, or that dumbass Janaway would prevent her crew from getting home...yet again. There was no fun.

Outside of TOS (And season 4 of Enterprise) Star Trek has largely been souless.

JJ restored the fun.

Did I have quibbles with Into Darkness, yup. But it was still far and away better then any Next Generation Movie with the possible exception of the Borg Rehash (the name escapes me at the moment).

Anyway, I will log back into a proper Star Trek thread.

I have high high expectations for the Force Awakens, particularly if the script rumors I have read are spot on.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 4:19 pm to
It's my OP

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 4:21 pm to
I just didn't care about the change to an adventure film because I don't like Star Trek all that much

I just thought the plot device to reuse ideas was lame and the amped up sex appeal ridiculous

The good thing about them is they show that Abrams is a Star Wars guy

They're relevant for that reason
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 4:27 pm to
quote:

I found every "Star Trek" series after that rather dull. No real adventure. Instead we were trapped with the inner workings of the Klingon empire, or that dumbass Janaway would prevent her crew from getting home...yet again. There was no fun.

Outside of TOS (And season 4 of Enterprise) Star Trek has largely been souless.
I guess here is where the Star Trek discussion is relevant to the OP. Star Trek started to suck in quality and production values. It started looking like shite, it started to become boring and not be like star trek...so instead of getting back to the basics (like Disney did during their animation renaissance) they revamped it and changed the format entirely.

will they do that with star wars...do they think it needs to be overhauled or taken back to what made it great?

the star trek reboots are 99% of what we have to work with when speculating on the quality of the new star wars. though I do not like the star trek reboots, I think it is encouraging because they're adventure films and they're certainly not boring. the prequels are fricking boring. Large parts of Jedi were boring. Lucas resented that empire was better so he copied his own film and basically gave us a shitty copy and past of the original movie, then he made the prequels and I don't have time to tell you what pieces of shite those movies are

so I think the star trek movies are encouraging. I don't think the special effects look like star wars, but when gary Kurtz gives the effects and production values the seal of approval, then I'm not even going to be concerned about that aspect of the upcoming movie
Posted by Tiger Ryno
#WoF
Member since Feb 2007
103024 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 7:15 pm to
I'm nerding out big time for tbis. I have read so many spoilers I can't post anything here now or I'll get banned but I am jimpING hard
This post was edited on 3/6/15 at 7:18 pm
Posted by Scoob
Near Exxon
Member since Jun 2009
20363 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 8:49 pm to
quote:

My "canon" are the original, unenhanced, no CGI Jabba, no HC retconned into Jedi, ST:ANH, TESB and ROTJ, period.
Along those lines, does anyone have the despecialized versions on blu-ray? I would love to get a set, but don't have a burner (and am a little apprehensive re torrents on a Windows pc).
I did download the despecialized edition of SW (ANH), but onto a linux laptop, and now I'm finding it's too big to transfer (it stops at 4 gigs I think).
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 6Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram