quote:

god I hate that motherfricker

Posted by Tommy Wayne
Member since Apr 2009
208 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 12:51 pm to
quote:

had lucas not fricked up jedi so badly

I dont think Jedi was awful. It had some great aspects in it. I thought the opening scene was great with Jabba. The scene where Yoda dies is great. It tells us alot about everything we had questions about to that point. The Death Star getting destroyed was really good. Plus, without that "ITS A TRAP" is never born . I think the best part is Luke and Vadar fighting and him seeing Luke without the mask. The Ewoks were pretty shitty, but the film itself has many parts that can, for the most part, overshadow them.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89506 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 12:56 pm to
quote:

My wife noticed that han is the only character who open carries in cloud city and that his holster is "on his leg like rick on the walking dead"

Chewy was effectively the smart horse. Leia was the damsel in distress. Obi Wan was the old, retired gunslinger. If anything the droids were like the Gabby Hayes, the old cook or whatnot, for comic relief.

Palpatine was the land baron, and Vader was his chief henchman/fixer (like Hank Fonda on How the West Was Won). Luke was literally a farmboy, but because he was so into the technology, he qualifies as the "nerd" - if there is such a thing in that universe - I mean Boba flew a one man ship - despite being a "walking carpet", Chewy was pretty handy with a spanner and at the controls (recall he was doing all that crazy flying when Han and Luke were playing video games in the turrets).

The Falcon was like the stagecoach.
Posted by Green Chili Tiger
Lurking the Tin Foil Hat Board
Member since Jul 2009
47602 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 12:58 pm to
quote:

The Ewoks were pretty shitty, but the film itself has many parts that can, for the most part, overshadow them.

My favorite visuals from the trilogy:

Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89506 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:02 pm to
quote:

My favorite visuals from the trilogy:

It's a powerful scene, as is Leia killing Jabba and Yoda's death scene. I don't hate the Ewoks as much as some. I just imagine it would have been better with Wookie's, as originally envisioned (Lucas WAS a great filmmaker at one time).

Zubdub is one terrible, but catchy song. Mrs. Midnight will ask, "Why are you whistling the Ewok song?" I'll respond, "Crap. I didn't realize I was - it's been running through my head all day." - and I haven't watched that film since the re-release in theaters - however long ago that was.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:09 pm to
Jedi wasn't awful

It wasn't worthy

Posted by Kracka
Lafayette, Louisiana
Member since Aug 2004
40788 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:11 pm to
I view it like this. I really liked all of the Original Star Trek Movies. I really liked the 2 new reboots.

If he can do with Star Wars what he did with Star Trek, I will be satisfied. I don't get all uppity when it comes to movies. I don't expect to be blown away. If it happens great, if not oh well. I just want to be entertained.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:11 pm to
Speaking of yoda's death

I just assumed his age reflected his power or knowledge of the force

Then some extended universe geek wad told me it's his species because he read it in one of those books. See why I hate Star Wars nerds
Posted by nicholastiger
Member since Jan 2004
42479 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:12 pm to
Can't possibly be worse than the last trilogy
I really think Star Wars has run its course
It's stale, it was a neat concept 30 years ago but in this day and age it may too much to pull off. Box office will predict the future of this one, unless you get the young audience your change of prolonging this is slim
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:17 pm to
Those archetypes aren't limited to westerns though

The wise old wizard or sage

The dashing rogue

Luke isn't really a farm boy so much as a character type. He's a normal person down on his luck and bored with how ordinary life is...then he finds out he's special and about this much larger world. He's similar to Harry potter or every protagonist ever

Vader could very well be an evil military officer, knight, etc. they're so basic in Star Wars but they're strong. Then empire just takes that and goes so much further
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:18 pm to
It never got stale

People are still clamping for an entry worthy of the first 3 (or 2 depending on how you look at it)

It's not stale, it's just that the quality was so poor
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:20 pm to
Two people have said yoda's death scene was great

Am I the only one who thinks it was terrible? Family guy spoofed it pretty succinctly

The scene does confirm for me that yoda is super old because of the force
This post was edited on 3/6/15 at 1:21 pm
Posted by Green Chili Tiger
Lurking the Tin Foil Hat Board
Member since Jul 2009
47602 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:24 pm to
quote:

Luke isn't really a farm boy so much as a character type. He's a normal person down on his luck and bored with how ordinary life is...then he finds out he's special and about this much larger world. He's similar to Harry potter or every protagonist ever

It's The Hero's Journey.
Posted by Tommy Wayne
Member since Apr 2009
208 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:27 pm to
quote:

I really think Star Wars has run its course
It's stale, it was a neat concept 30 years ago but in this day and age it may too much to pull off

Star Trek is dead they said. No one will come to see it they said....

2013 Into the Darkness $$467,381,584 GP
2009 Star Trek $420.2 million GP

I think Star Wars will blow these numbers out of the water.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89506 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:30 pm to
quote:

Just because bored sheeple shell out the money, doesn't confirm it is a good film.

Titanic was profitable. Avatar was profitable. Neither were particularly good films, IMHO (although I only watched about 10 to 12 minutes of Avatar - my G-d that movie was bad. For all the hoopla about the CGI, looked like a cartoon or an Elder Scrolls game and the (voice) acting was very wooden).

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:31 pm to
star trek is dead. those movies aren't star trek. the financial success doesn't matter. lucas could announce he's making another trilogy and that it will be the worst thing ever made and it would still gross $500 million.

anyway I do agree with you

no one ever got sick of the OT

the phantom menace is still to this day the most anticipated movie release ever.

people are sick of cartoon star wars, midichlorian star wars, cgi star wars...no one ever got sick of "used future" star wars
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:35 pm to
quote:

Just because bored sheeple shell out the money, doesn't confirm it is a good film

quote:

Titanic was profitable. Avatar was profitable. Neither were particularly good films
I don't care for either, but both of them are good movies. I will probably agree with you about everything you dislike, but they're well made, entertaining (in a cheap way though)

the titanic set is pretty fricking awesome though. you think they'd bother building that thing today? nope, it would all be digital shite.

Posted by asurob1
On the edge of the galaxy
Member since May 2009
26971 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:36 pm to
quote:

Abrams = Ace will not watch
'

I admire your consistency.
Posted by asurob1
On the edge of the galaxy
Member since May 2009
26971 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:37 pm to
quote:

Star Trek is dead they said. No one will come to see it they said....

2013 Into the Darkness $$467,381,584 GP
2009 Star Trek $420.2 million GP

Easily.

I like what I hear about the script to date.

If they follow that path, this could well be equal to Empire.

Coincidentally a movie Lucas didn't direct.
Posted by Tommy Wayne
Member since Apr 2009
208 posts
Posted on 3/6/15 at 1:39 pm to
quote:

Just because bored sheeple shell out the money, doesn't confirm it is a good film.

Nor am I implying that it will be a good film. But, the numbers show that SciFi adventure films arent a thing of the past. People, for better or worse, will go and spend good money to see them. I believe Star Wars, will probably damn near, if not, double that number. My whole point is no one wouldve touched the Star Trek franchise due to it being "stale" and "outdated". JJ took it and made a damn strong and entertaining film, in my opinion. I have faith in JJ. Especially knowing he was fanboy growing up. He knows the elements to make this film good.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 6Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram