From the outside looking in I can see that we take sports too seriously
Absolutely.
Posted by LSUBoo
Knoxville, TN
Member since Mar 2006
101917 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:04 am to
quote:

I'm not sure of the full rule, but I think there's something in there that it only applies when the pitcher is on the rubber. If they're walking around the batter can too.

The pitcher comes off the rubber every pitch, but if they leave the mound (dirt area) the batter can exit the batter's box.

There are all sorts of caveats... here's the full rule:

(4) (6.02(d)) The Batter’s Box Rule
(A) The batter shall keep at least one foot in the batter’s box throughout the batter’s time at bat, unless one of the following exceptions applies, in which case the batter may leave the batter’s box but not the dirt area surrounding home plate:
(i) The batter swings at a pitch;
(ii) An attempted check swing is appealed to a base umpire;
(iii) The batter is forced off balance or out of the batter’s box by a pitch;
(iv) A member of either team requests and is granted “Time”;
(v) A defensive player attempts a play on a runner at any base;
(vi) The batter feints a bunt;
(vii) A wild pitch or passed ball occurs;
(viii) The pitcher leaves the dirt area of the pitching mound after receiving the ball; or
(ix) The catcher leaves the catcher’s box to give defensive signals.

If the batter intentionally leaves the batter’s box and delays play, and none of the exceptions listed in Rule 5.04(b)(4)(A)(i) through (ix) (Rule 6.02(d)(1)(i) through (ix)) applies, the umpire shall issue a warning to the batter for the batter’s first violation of this Rule in a game. For a batter’s second or subsequent violations of this Rule in a game, the League President may issue an appropriate discipline. In National Association play, for a batter’s second or subsequent violations of this Rule in a game, the umpire shall award a strike without the pitcher having to deliver the pitch. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance.
Posted by LSUBoo
Knoxville, TN
Member since Mar 2006
101917 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:08 am to
quote:

The constant pitching changes in the playoffs wear things down time wise but I'm not sure what the fix is for that. I don't want some artificial rule where you can only make x number of pitching changes but I'm afraid Manfred would do something like that

The only thing I can come up with that might make sense and be a fix to that problem, is a rule that if a pitcher doesn't complete an inning or face at least three batters (or some such combination) then he is ineligible to pitch the following game. Eliminate the one-batter guys. You'd probably also have to have a caveat that if the batting team uses a pinch hitter, then the pitcher can be substituted for and remain eligible for the following game.
Posted by ShaneTheLegLechler
Member since Dec 2011
60144 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:09 am to
quote:

If they dial the balls back again, there will be few homers, which means more balls in play, which means more action.

With how much publicity it got this year I think they do this. It will be interesting to see though.
Posted by Pnels08
Member since Jul 2014
9179 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:12 am to
A lot of good talent in the MLB rn. Especially a bunch of good young players.

I got back into it in like 2012 and my interest has been growing in the whole product ever since.
Posted by McCaigBro69
TigerDroppings Premium Member
Member since Oct 2014
45086 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:17 am to
quote:

MLB is great, but there are so many fricking games. It's a chore to keep up during the season. 162 3 hour games, in 180 days.

I enjoy the amount of games. But, I would not be against reducing the games back to 154. I probably went to 50+ Texas games this year and watched another 60 on tv.

The game amount is something I understand from a more casual fan point of view though.
Posted by LSUBoo
Knoxville, TN
Member since Mar 2006
101917 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:20 am to
quote:

The game amount is something I understand from a more casual fan point of view though.

I don't get it though... is reducing the amount from 162 back to 154 really going to give more meaning to a Phillies/Braves game in June? No, not really. If 162 games is too much, don't watch them all... nobody (well, maybe somebody) that isn't paid to cover a team watches all 162 anyway. I know I don't watch all of them, but I wouldn't watch all of them if there were 154 games either.
Member since Dec 2011
60144 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:21 am to
I enjoy the amount of games as well. Something to watch every single night basically from early April to early October
Posted by SportsGuyNOLA
New Orleans, LA
Member since May 2014
17007 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:21 am to
No.

The MLB playoffs were much better last year.

It's been good this year, but last year was amazing.

MLB and NHL postseasons are light years ahead of their regular seasons and against the NFL and NBA playoffs.
Posted by Jorts R Us
Member since Aug 2013
14798 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:22 am to
I've enjoyed this series as well. I have no preference for either team but watching the Yankees rally last night was fun.
Member since Dec 2011
60144 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:24 am to
Last year didn't get really good until the WS, which hasn't happened yet. One game 5 in the DS vs two this year, and the ALCS is shaping up to be as good or better than the NLCS last year

It would be hard to match the WS from last year but so far the playoffs have been just as good or better
Posted by McCaigBro69
Member since Oct 2014
45086 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:25 am to
quote:

I don't get it though... is reducing the amount from 162 back to 154 really going to give more meaning to a Phillies/Braves game in June

The thing is, is that those games will matter eventually. Since the inception of the second wild card team the playoff races have been intense as hell. The AL Wild Card race was a lot of fun this season and they have gone down to the wire over the last few seasons.
Posted by BCMCubs
Colorado
Member since Nov 2011
22146 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:30 am to
MLB.tv is the shite.
Posted by Dire Wolf
bawcomville
Member since Sep 2008
36608 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:32 am to
quote:

I enjoy the amount of games as well. Something to watch every single night basically from early April to early October

For me, The regular season is for passively watching while cooking, at a bar, or just being lazy.

I love it.
Posted by Pelican fan99
Lafayette, Louisiana
Member since Jun 2013
34701 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:33 am to
MLB playoffs are always amazing because the games actually matter unlike the regular season and the crowd and players have so much more emotion involved
Posted by Haydo
DTX
Member since Jul 2011
2943 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:33 am to
quote:

MLB.tv is absolutely the best value in streaming sports.

What do they charge for a season pass?
Posted by LSUBoo
Knoxville, TN
Member since Mar 2006
101917 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:34 am to
quote:

The thing is, is that those games will matter eventually.

Sure, but only very minimally more with a 154 game season as opposed to 162. You're eliminating less than 5% of the games, that's not a major change. It's not really fixing anything.
Posted by BCMCubs
Colorado
Member since Nov 2011
22146 posts
Posted on 10/18/17 at 10:35 am to
Something like $125, but if you wait a couple months into the season, you can get it for almoat half off
Posted by McCaigBro69
Member since Oct 2014
45086 posts
quote:

because the games actually matter unlike the regular season

Wrong. The Rangers are in the playoffs if Sam Dyson doesn’t blow six saves in the first two weeks.

ETA: in the wildcard, probably lose to the Yankees in the wild card.
This post was edited on 10/18/17 at 10:36 am
Posted by BeeFense5
Kenner
Member since Jul 2010
41292 posts
110 for all games and 85 for single team
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram