re: .

Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:11 pm to
Posted by Quidam65
Q Continuum
Member since Jun 2010
19307 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:11 pm to
quote:

There is zero reason for springer to be in the minors if Houston is planning on starting him next year. zero.

Here's a question: If Springer is called up this year, doesn't that reduce the number of years that he can be under Astros control (in terms of salary, arbitration, eligibility for free agency), as this year would be counted toward that?
Posted by C
Houston
Member since Dec 2007
27819 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:14 pm to
quote:

as this year would be counted toward that?
not at this point in the season. And it's been that way for a few weeks. The only reason to keep springer in the minors is if they plan on keeping him there until this time next year as well. If I were springer i would be demanding to be called up as his career is being wasted.
Posted by Prominentwon
LSU, McNeese St. Fan
Member since Jan 2005
93702 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:19 pm to
quote:

as his career is being wasted.

lolwut

They're working on a PCL Championship in AAA.

1. The MLB season is essentially done. If he gets called up, all he's doing is getting swings at the MLB level. There will be no team success.

2. Don't act as if the PCL championship is irrelevant. It may be to you, but to these guys that have been playing together, I guarantee you that they want to win SOMETHING. I understand getting called up to the big leagues is a big deal and trumps everything, but lets not insinuate that Springer is miserable in AAA and wants nothing to do with that success and he's wasting his career.

Posted by C
Houston
Member since Dec 2007
27819 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:22 pm to
quote:

They're working on a PCL Championship in AAA.

If springer needs this PCL championship in his life then management is right. He does not belong at the major league level. what a joke.
This post was edited on 8/20/13 at 3:25 pm
Posted by Sgt_Hulka
Member since Mar 2013
206 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:29 pm to
quote:

There is zero reason for springer to be in the minors if Houston is planning on starting him next year. zero.

Actually, there is some legit reasoning for keeping him down while OKC finishes its season out the next 2 weeks. The case for keeping Springer at OKC.

And truthfully, if you know Springer is the future, and this year doesn't really matter -- why not let the guy chase a 40/40 season. Plus, you give your current MLB outfielders a few more games to establish themselves and hopefully become trade bait.
Posted by Sgt_Hulka
Member since Mar 2013
206 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:31 pm to
quote:

The only reason to keep springer in the minors is if they plan on keeping him there until this time next year as well. If I were springer i would be demanding to be called up as his career is being wasted.

You would demand??? What a tool you are... seriously. You don't understand baseball, or business. Stop trolling the Astros threads and go play in the street or something.
Posted by C
Houston
Member since Dec 2007
27819 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:40 pm to
haha i love the comment section: "Who is Jerry White"

Why would the astros consider it a great accomplishment to win a minor league title with MLB players? what a joke of a franchise.
Posted by Sgt_Hulka
Member since Mar 2013
206 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 3:47 pm to
quote:

Why would the astros consider it a great accomplishment to win a minor league title with MLB players?

Dude - do you even know how to read? The Astros AAA team is comprised of players an average of 2 years younger than the closest team in terms of age. Yet they are leading the division. The Astros do not consider it an accomplishment... but they are regarding it as an incentive to the players and teams to continue working hard. And they are regarding it as a "thank you" for developing players and turning them around (ex, Peacock).

Posted by Smokedawg
Finding Lennay Kekua
Member since Dec 2008
5406 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 4:11 pm to
The real reason Springer hasn't been called up is because he will actually give the Stros a good shot at winning some games. They could care less about winning this year and they clearly want Rodon.

Plus with our additional 1st round pick next year(from Baltimore) we could use the extra money to sign our two first roud picks.

I also think they want him to win the minor league player of the year and be eligible to contend next year for Rookie of the Year
Posted by C
Houston
Member since Dec 2007
27819 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 4:11 pm to
Those players should be in the majors!!! That's how other teams avoid 100+ loss seasons: they bring up talent when it is ready.
Posted by TXGunslinger10
Houston, TX
Member since Jun 2011
17995 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 4:23 pm to
Dude There are 6 weeks left in the season.

He'll spend another 3 maybe 4 weeks at OKC, then once they're bounced from the playoffs he'll be called up.

He will still get ML at bats this season.
This post was edited on 8/20/13 at 4:23 pm
Posted by Tiger Ryno
#WoF
Member since Feb 2007
103015 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 4:38 pm to
Springer still an oustide chance at 40/40. 35 HR and 39 steals right now. Print the Shirts
Posted by Sgt_Hulka
Member since Mar 2013
206 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 7:07 pm to
If Blackley pitches a no hitter tonight I will shite my pants and then fling the poo at my TV.

Damn I am beginning to despise the Rangers and their fans almost as much as I despise Yankee and Red Sox fans.
Posted by msutiger
Shreveport
Member since Jul 2008
69604 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 7:23 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 4/3/23 at 1:07 pm
Posted by TXGunslinger10
Houston, TX
Member since Jun 2011
17995 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 7:32 pm to
Springer with number 36 tonight!
Posted by TXGunslinger10
Houston, TX
Member since Jun 2011
17995 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 7:33 pm to
And Matty D goes YAAAAACCCKKK!
Posted by TXGunslinger10
Houston, TX
Member since Jun 2011
17995 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 7:35 pm to
And then Stassi goes down with 3 consecutive whiffs
Posted by msutiger
Shreveport
Member since Jul 2008
69604 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 7:47 pm to
Matt crushed that ball.

Castro needs to work on the defense this offseason.
Posted by SCUBABlake
RIP WT6
Member since Jan 2008
40338 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 7:55 pm to
quote:

Damn I am beginning to despise the Rangers and their fans almost as much as I despise Yankee and Red Sox fans

Well that's rude.
Posted by Prominentwon
LSU, McNeese St. Fan
Member since Jan 2005
93702 posts
Posted on 8/20/13 at 8:01 pm to
quote:

I also think they want him to win the minor league player of the year and be eligible to contend next year for Rookie of the Year

Good point. From a PR and marketing POV, that's pretty brilliant.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram