Started By
re: .

Posted on 2/28/13 at 5:17 pm to
Posted by wildtigercat93
Member since Jul 2011
112372 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 5:17 pm to
quote:

I get that, but for ME the difference between a 4.2 and a 4.5 is not important.

And thats why youre not a scout.

Thats a huge difference
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 5:19 pm to
Exactly. I don't pretend to be, but I do know enough that calling a guy average or slow and then having him run a 4.3 40 is hysterical.
Posted by lighter345
Member since Jan 2009
11867 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 5:37 pm to
LINK

PFT is really fricking with NFL.COM now.

quote:

But here’s what is a little odd: For all four of the white wide receivers that NFL.com profiled, the “NFL comparison” is another white wide receiver.

quote:

After I wrote about Swope, I got a call from NFL.com Senior Editor Andy Fenelon. He was not happy. Fenelon lectured me about how unfair I was, demanded that I explain myself to him, and informed me that he stands by what NFL.com published.

quote:

And after taking that closer look, I don’t think I was unfair at all. White receivers are, in fact, exclusively compared to other white receivers. (Read the profiles of Swope and the other white wide receivers, Brandon Kaufman, T.J. Moe and Conner Vernon and see for yourself.) White receivers are praised by NFL.com for their good hands and their toughness, but downgraded for their speed. All four profiles demonstrate the stereotypes we’ve all heard about white receivers a million times.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 5:46 pm to
Posted by NawlinsTiger9
Where the mongooses roam
Member since Jan 2009
34957 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 6:06 pm to
quote:

Swope played slow at A&M,

Posted by jimithing11
Dillon, Texas
Member since Mar 2011
22477 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 6:44 pm to
quote:

Just read that

Florio does have a valid point though

I know JOrdy Nelson comes up a lot because I guess it's easier to relate to players of the same race. It shouldn't be that way, but who else do you compare Swope to? There really isn't a bench mark.

Tavon Austin to Welker is natural because they are both small guys who are super quick and hard to cover in space.

There are a ton of big, strong, fast guys in the NFL, so I'm not sure where to throw Swope in the mix and apparently NFL.com doesn't either
Posted by FootballNostradamus
Member since Nov 2009
20509 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 7:18 pm to
quote:

Second, he doesn't look like a 4.3 guy on tape. Not sure what is so hard to understand. Either you are just being ornery or you legit don't know anything about football

What's not so hard to understand about the fact that anyone who said he "played slow at A&M" like you did is barely above a functioning ruhtard.
Member since Nov 2009
20509 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 7:21 pm to
quote:

I get that, but for ME the difference between a 4.2 and a 4.5 is not important.

Lol, I'm glad you don't draft for the Saints.

No one is saying the 40 is the end-all/be-all, but to think there's not a difference between a 4.2 and a 4.5 is absolutely insane. Three tenths of a second is almost as big a difference between Chris Johnson and Mark Ingram.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 7:27 pm to
The only point I'm trying to make is 4.5 isn't slow.
Posted by Dr RC
The Money Pit
Member since Aug 2011
58136 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 7:46 pm to
quote:

Second, he doesn't look like a 4.3 guy on tape. Not sure what is so hard to understand. Either you are just being ornery or you legit don't know anything about football

exactly how much "tape" have you watched of Swope to make a claim like that?

I'm betting its only a few plays in a couple random games.

Posted by molsusports
Member since Jul 2004
36146 posts
Posted on 2/28/13 at 7:53 pm to
quote:

I know JOrdy Nelson comes up a lot because I guess it's easier to relate to players of the same race. It shouldn't be that way, but who else do you compare Swope to? There really isn't a bench mark.

this is pretty silly.

you compare him to every other player who plays a similar position
Member since Nov 2009
20509 posts
Posted on 3/1/13 at 7:29 am to
quote:

The only point I'm trying to make is 4.5 isn't slow.

It's not but Swope is stunningly fast. I really don't know how anyone who watched him this year couldn't see that. Hell he torched almost every SEC secondary. It's not like he was some sleeper.

The kid got the white boy treatment bigtime. It's not the biggest deal in the world, more funny than anything (especially after his dominant Combine performance). However, for anyone to say the kid "ran slow at A&M" you'd literally have to be Stevie Wonder to make such a claim.
Posted by Patrick_Bateman
Member since Jan 2012
17823 posts
Posted on 3/1/13 at 8:03 am to
quote:

Good. At best, NFL.com was very lazy (or stupid?) in their evaluations of white WRs. At worst, they were racist in their evaluations. Either way, the criticism is justified.
Posted by HeadCoach
Shady's Parking Lot
Member since Mar 2009
5659 posts
Posted on 3/1/13 at 8:18 am to
quote:

At worst, they were racist

Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
423792 posts
Posted on 3/1/13 at 8:31 am to
quote:

NFL.com seemed to be falling into the usual stereotypes about white receivers, describing Swope as a hard worker with good hands who lacks straight-line speed, while saying the NFL player most similar to Swope is another white guy, Jordan Shipley.

that's funny b/c shipley was pretty damn fast for a white boy
first pageprev pagePage 5 of 5Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram