When it comes to the lines, both offensive and defensive, you can never have enough bodies. Huge boom or bust rate at those spots. With the way we rotate bodies on the DL, numbers are paramount. Odds are that 3-4 of the 8 would be minimal contributors or non contributors. All comes out in the wash down the line. Also we are getting a mix of guys in this DL group, not those couple of pure stud guys. That doesn't mean our kids aren't good or capable of being outstanding players, just that they fit a particular role or are mostly potential at this point with lots of rough edges.
Neal-much discussed. He's a role player. Designated pass rusher meaning his snaps will be limited.
Herron-could fill many roles. Could grow to DT, could be a run stopping DE or could be that good, all around DE. Has the talent to be very good but he's limited to a point
Patterson-the all upside take. Could be a stud or could be a complete non factor. All depends on how he develops physically and skill wise. Likely a Montgomery type DE on the high end.
Lawson-huge potential. Has all the goods but is a long way from being where we need him to be. Could be next in line as that raw, undeveloped DT that turns stud or could never develop oe end up on the OL. In other words, far from a sure thing
Bain-much like Lawson. Could blossom or be a non factor. Also could end up on the OL. Again far from a sure thing
Gilmore-the safest of the DTs if only because he's for sure a DT. Still a kid that is not exactly a lock to be special. Has some developing to do.
Lacouture-I like the kid but I see him being one of those depth, rotation only type guys. A solid, 10-12 snap guy that is not special but important to the overall scheme of things in a given year.
Agree with most of what you said, but (just my opinion, no expert here):
1) Neal - Disagree. Will play more than you think. He is a player. The type of player that just plays sound, fundamental ball that just always seems to make plays. Long arms and good technique for a high school player.
2) Herron - Disagree. DE only. All this talk of him possibly bulking up to a DT is nonsense (no insult intended, just see this often on this site and others). Kid will push for playing time as a freshman.
3) Lawson - Agree. Huge potential, but major project.
4) Bain - Disagree. Bigtime. Has the most upside and potential of all DT recruits. He is a DT all the way. I wish LSU fans would stop trying to convert every DT recruit into an OL (not you, just see this way to often on this site). He has the size already. He will compete and push for playing time as soon as he gets on campus.
5) Gilmore - Agree.
6) Lacoutture - Major sleeper. After some development, he will be a major player at DT for LSU.
This post was edited on 12/29 at 10:43 pm