Started By
re: .

Posted on 8/2/17 at 1:19 pm to
Posted by musick
the internet
Member since Dec 2008
26125 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 1:19 pm to
I loved BoTW and it's an all time best designed game for sure.

But it's not even in the same league as the witcher 3.

In fact, it's hard to compare the games honestly. I know they are both open world horse rpg's but BoTW is almost like a desolate, lonely, choose your own path type game with hardly any direction or story, empty map, like plopping you into Hyrule and saying "figure it out"

The Witcher 3 has an enormous amount of content and a fully fleshed out world that is almost intimidating, holds your hand through every stage with markers and waypoints, loads of dialog and story, branching paths, and is very dark and brooding. But it's certainly a story driven experience loaded with lore.

Both are great in their own right but like a poster said above they really are apples and oranges.

The next Zelda game on the BoTW engine is set to be epic.
This post was edited on 8/2/17 at 1:21 pm
Posted by LSU Coyote
Member since Sep 2007
53390 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 1:40 pm to
quote:

The Witcher 3 has an enormous amount of content and a fully fleshed out world that is almost intimidating

No B sides.

Can not recall a single time where I felt like something was filler. Even after all the gear collection and 150+ hrs, the game still amazes me. How can you do such a good job when the game is that large. CD Project Red really have their shtt together. Any other dev would take a team much larger than that and still not deliver close the quality of W3.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 2:09 pm to
quote:

Thanks for the reply Freauxzen. I get exactly what you are saying. I just wanted to make sure I was on the same page.

All this being said, I am excited to play BOTW next week. I figured if I ever put it down or get bored then I would move on to Witcher 3.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 2:15 pm to
quote:

In fact, it's hard to compare the games honestly. I know they are both open world horse rpg's but BoTW is almost like a desolate, lonely, choose your own path type game with hardly any direction or story, empty map, like plopping you into Hyrule and saying "figure it out"
this is what I said...though this is better articulated.

not same type of game. it's weird how an all time great movie or an all time great game gives you that indescribable sensation while watching/playing it. BOTW is one of those rare games and besides my late in life discovery of Metroid prime is the only game to do that trick for me since I was a teenager. Mario galaxy and Arkham asylum both came close.

sounds like witcher was for a shite ton of people.
This post was edited on 8/2/17 at 2:23 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 2:21 pm to
quote:

What a fun Zelda game. It is in my Top 5 for sure. Wish more ppl owned DSs.
easily, but better than BOTW...not for me, not even close. the added dimensional element (becoming a painting)made the series feel fresh again, but so did climbing. BOTW is an original map, enormous in scale but every inch seems so deliberate in design. link between worlds is the same map as LttP, same music, same structure of progression.
Posted by musick
the internet
Member since Dec 2008
26125 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 2:25 pm to
quote:

it's weird how an all time great movie or an all time great game gives you that indescribable sensation while watching/playing it.

Great post and point.

I know the exact feeling you are talking about. I actually haven't had it in a good while and it hit me the minute I walked into the first cold zone in BoTW when you start shivering.

The last game I remember that I got that feeling from a game was FF7 back in 1997.

Also got it watching Sunday's GoT episode during the Dany/Jon Snow meeting scene.
Posted by auyushu
Surprise, AZ
Member since Jan 2011
8586 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 9:09 pm to
quote:

Metacritic:

OoT - 99%
BoTW- 97%
Witcheer 3 - 92%

Like I said...great game and maybe the greatest to some but in the eyes of the world....no.

You are seriously trying claim critics ratings as the eyes of the world? Actual player ratings on metacritic have BOTW as 8.4 and Witcher 3 as 9.3, so many people think it's a much better game.

I haven't played BOTW so I can't compare the two, but trying to use 22 critic ratings to claim OoT is the best or critic ratings in general is just silly to me.

I don't think Witcher 3 is the best ever (Chrono Trigger is that for me probably), but it's definitely in the discussion for the best of the last decade or so to me.
Posted by Lacour
Member since Nov 2009
32949 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 9:51 pm to
I feel exactly same way about skyrim. I just didn't like it. Played about 6 hours or so. Kept trying to make myself like it but just didn't. I was hooked on witcher the first time Geralt his mouth.
Posted by Carson123987
Middle Court at the Rec
Member since Jul 2011
66380 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 7:36 am to
quote:

Struggled to make it through a playthrough.

quote:

I've played Skyrim 3 times. Doesn't compare.

Posted by LSU Coyote
Member since Sep 2007
53390 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 8:15 am to
quote:

easily, but better than BOTW...not for me, not even close.

Guess it depends how you prefer your Zelda served.

Top Down or Third Person.
Posted by Blitzed
Member since Oct 2009
21286 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 8:47 am to
quote:

You are seriously trying claim critics ratings as the eyes of the world?

Ughhh yeah. Player is pure bias and trolls.
This post was edited on 8/3/17 at 8:48 am
Posted by auyushu
Surprise, AZ
Member since Jan 2011
8586 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 8:33 pm to
quote:

Yeah, no game reviewers ever have bias and games styles that they prefer. And even if they didn't, like I said, Ocarina of Time has a whopping 22 critic reviews on Metacritic, acting like that is some kind of consensus is ridiculous.

Posted by mindbreaker
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2011
7632 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 9:29 pm to
No its grand theft auto 3. Sandbox games don't exist without it.
Posted by Mad_Mardigan
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2012
1924 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 9:39 pm to
I disagree. The Witcher 3 is a very good game but I believe Donkey Kong is the best game ever.
Posted by Brosef Stalin
Member since Dec 2011
39171 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 9:58 pm to
Donkey Kong sucks.
Posted by Mad_Mardigan
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2012
1924 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 10:01 pm to
You know something, YOU SUCK!
Posted by DoUrden
UnderDark
Member since Oct 2011
25965 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 10:04 pm to
Has anyone said Everquest yet? The older I get the more this suggestion will be more of a WTF post.
Posted by Blitzed
Member since Oct 2009
21286 posts
Posted on 8/3/17 at 11:20 pm to
Just posting the numbers.
Posted by Mystery
Member since Jan 2009
9003 posts
Posted on 8/4/17 at 9:57 am to
quote:

And Nintendo fans will vote 100s

And critics will do things like give low scores because of sex in a game.

Take each score with a grain of salt.

PS: I have not been able to get into witcher 3 but I have only played around 10 hours.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/4/17 at 10:02 am to
quote:

Top Down or Third Person.

I get my jollies with either. I'm with you though, link between worlds is one of the best in the series. Best top down game in the series even if it did use an existing world map, music and the same story structure and dynamics (even for a zelda game)

It's that good
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram