re: .

Posted on 8/1/17 at 9:44 pm to
Posted by taylork37
Member since Mar 2010
15322 posts
Posted on 8/1/17 at 9:44 pm to
quote:

Because it is?

Either you haven't played both or you are ignoring a huge amount of BOTW shortcomings.

Posted by jeff5891
Member since Aug 2011
15761 posts
Posted on 8/1/17 at 10:13 pm to
quote:

Is witcher 3 the greatest game ever?

Let us know when you play Zelda BOTW. Make sure to update the thread accordingly
Posted by McCaigBro69
TigerDroppings Premium Member
Member since Oct 2014
45084 posts
Posted on 8/1/17 at 10:33 pm to
quote:

Let us know when you play Zelda BOTW. Make sure to update the thread accordingly

Played both, loved both.

Both did a lot of things really well, But the fact I had to buy a system solely for one game knocks BOTW down on my list.

Posted by Drewbie
tFlagship
Member since Jun 2012
57728 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 12:35 am to
quote:

But the fact I had to buy a system solely for one game knocks BOTW down on my list.
That's retarded.
Posted by SG_Geaux
Beautiful St George
Member since Aug 2004
77936 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 12:43 am to
BOTW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Witcher3
Posted by Darth Aranda
Naboo
Member since Dec 2016
2487 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 2:47 am to
For an indie RPG, probably. It's difficult to crown a "greatest" game out of all the genres hands down.
Posted by Darth Aranda
Naboo
Member since Dec 2016
2487 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 2:51 am to
In exploration and discovery, yes. Story wise, not so much. I will say BOTW is one of the best games I've ever played, but you can't lie about the story and characters being kind of weak.
Posted by taylork37
Member since Mar 2010
15322 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 4:10 am to
quote:

BOTW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Witcher3

I just can't see how anyone who spent significant time with both of these games can say this. Zelda is a good game but the story, the characters, the world, alchemy/crafting are so much better in Witcher 3.

Not to mention the breakable weapons and the terrible enemy variety that really hinder BOTW.

Honestly other than just nostalgia, BOTW is seems inferior in almost every aspect.

This is coming from someone who bought a switch just for that game.
Posted by sgallo3
Dorne
Member since Sep 2008
24747 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 5:58 am to
expansions included, without a doubt the greatest video game ever
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 7:44 am to
quote:

You think BOTW is better than Witcher 3, so your opinion is worthless.

I said I preferred BOTW, not that it is the objectively better game. When you look at scale, scope, technology, Witcher has a definite argument over BOTW, those are just not things I particularly value.

You're the fanboy or anti-fanboy, which is just as bad. Not me.

It also depends on what you would say a "game" is. Witcher is a video game, sure, for marketing purposes. But is it really something you play? Are the challenges "game-like?"

I'd also ageee on innovation and influence being a factor, and it's too early to tell what Witcher 3's legacy will be.

For instance, I'd say Portal has just as good a story, better game mechanics, and more influence on the market.

And before another knee jerk reaction that you might have, no, I'm not saying PorTal is the greatest game ever, I'm saying it might have a better mix of qualities than W3.
This post was edited on 8/2/17 at 7:48 am
Posted by ShootingsBricks4Life
Member since May 2017
2601 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 7:53 am to
quote:

It also depends on what you would say a "game" is. Witcher is a video game, sure, for marketing purposes. But is it really something you play? Are the challenges "game-like?"

I do not have a horse in this race because I haven't played either of these games. I do start BOTW (on wii U) sometime next week so we'll see how that goes. But I am interested in this quote, could you elaborate more? I really am not being a D....just interested.
Posted by sicboy
Because Awesome
Member since Nov 2010
77567 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 8:06 am to
I knew before the first reply what this thread was going to turn into
Posted by The Quiet One
Former United States
Member since Oct 2013
11599 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 8:12 am to
Yes.

Pretty decent main story.
The best side quests in any game.
Sex.
Characters are fantastic.
Shani.
Combat/character build is much deeper than most think, esp on Death March.

There are a lot of amazing games I've played, some I think are better than TW3 in one or two of those areas. But, none of them outpace it in all those areas.
Posted by Kraven Moorehed
Franklin
Member since Dec 2015
2325 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 8:51 am to
It is really hard to say, but I might rank it as my number 1. It has the best DLCs of any game I have ever played for sure. IMO they were better than the main game.
Posted by Blitzed
Member since Oct 2009
21286 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 8:53 am to
No. Great but not greatest.

OoT
Link to the past
BoTW
Half-Life 2
FFVll
WoW

Are just a few of actually many games I'd put higher.
Posted by MFn GIMP
Member since Feb 2011
19298 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 8:55 am to
FFIX exists so no, Witcher 3 is not the greatest game ever.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 9:47 am to
quote:

I do not have a horse in this race because I haven't played either of these games. I do start BOTW (on wii U) sometime next week so we'll see how that goes. But I am interested in this quote, could you elaborate more? I really am not being a D....just interested.

You really want this? I can be long winded. Also, we should be clear, I assume Lacour used "game" as shorthand for "video game" which is different from "game," but that's a bit specific.

I'll respond to taylor's post at the same time:

quote:

I just can't see how anyone who spent significant time with both of these games can say this. Zelda is a good game but the story, the characters, the world, alchemy/crafting are so much better in Witcher 3. Not to mention the breakable weapons and the terrible enemy variety that really hinder BOTW. Honestly other than just nostalgia, BOTW is seems inferior in almost every aspect.

When you think about books, what book has more choice in how you read: Choose Your Own Adventure or Moby Dick? Which has more choice in how you interpret what you read? Which, eventually, has more staying power and meaning? Just because two things exist in the same medium, doesn't mean they follow the same rules, or have the same outcome. Video games are a medium, not a definite product or genre or product identity. Therefore, they allow for lots of experiences, and not all of them are particularly "games."

There are at least three games I probably say have a better argument to "greatest game ever" than Witcher: Super Mario 64, Portal, Shadow of the Colossus, and that is for a very particular reason: They are actually games.

When you play Super Mario 64 , what are you particularly playing? Do you have a choice in the narrative? Do you get to pick how bad Mario is? Are there more than one ending to simulate the impact of choice? Where is the challenge?

The challenge in Mario doesn't come from stats, numbers, it legitimately comes from "how" you play. Can you time your jump correctly. Can you slide in this particular pattern correctly. How you find that exact route through the world to beat the rabbit. The bosses have patterns, and all involve the way you move through the world. These things are not random, they are particularly put in place to force the player to solve a problem in a subset of ways. Same for SoC, but made more epic. The "game" is how you figure challenges out, and there are many ways to solve them. Essentially, these are interactive puzzles where the rules put the users into definitive problem-solving situations.

Think about Portal, easily one of the most interesting games ever made. It takes the trappings of very old Atari games: Build a set of rules and obstacles, set the user through various fields of play, create ever escalating spatial challenges throughout, all while putting a very interesting narrative around it. Interestingly enough, Portal has more in common with Centipede than it does Witcher. Think about that.

That’s kind of what I mean. Additionally, think about the genesis of the “RPG” which is Witcher’s definitive genre. It’s a “Role-Playing Game,” in that the game is in the role (with significantly less freedom than a real tabletop RPG), therefore the focus is on a very focused, pre-determined story. Think about the tabletop RPG where you often have no control over the outcome of your “roll,” that’s Witcher in a nut shell. Because the game, the random outcome, isn’t the point, the story and the presentation of it is. This means that:

quote:

Zelda is a good game but the story, the characters, the world, alchemy/crafting are so much better in Witcher 3.

This is actually true for the most part (except for “world,” the “world building” might be better in Witcher and it might look better but “world as interactive obstacle” is WAY better in Zelda than in Witcher). Witcher is a statistical game. The way you beat an enemy is often simply by math, get more damage, get more magic, get more options. The way you beat a stage in Mario is to figure out the puzzle. Figure out how to get to a particular star, how to time your jumps, etc. In Witcher, the “game,” or the experience is in the story. When you beat Witcher, you feel “Great, I’ve finished this narrative, understand the arc, I have a feeling of completeness for Geralt’s story or chapter.” When I beat Mario, it isn’t about finishing the story necessarily (this is why the story is thin), it’s more about feeling your skill overcame a set of puzzles. That’s the rush. That’s the high score. You don’t go back for Witcher for a higher score, you go back to see a different story, or accumulate math in different areas. If I go back to Mario it’s about finding the impossible stars or the ones I didn’t beat. Or to tackle a challenge in a different way.

Therefore:
quote:

Not to mention the breakable weapons and the terrible enemy variety that really hinder BOTW.

What taylor misses is that these are part of the puzzle. And that’s important. They are part of building a particular set of rules to force the player into corners and to think out of that corner. Same for enemy variety (again, think Centipede – different colors, different speeds, different strengths). That’s a deliberate choice for any games (and has been a Zelda choice for two decades), for a variety of reasons.

At the end of the day, it’s really about preferences, it’s just in these discussions where we come together to say “what’s best,” the language of that discussion is important. I’d be more comfortable calling Witcher what it is “an interactive movie/experience,” rather than a game because RPG’s are vastly different in most cases. Same for multiplayer “games.” I think Team Fortress 2 is one of the greatest video games ever created, but in this discussion, I’m not so sure (that would require another essay, ha). Some people put value on

quote:

the story, the characters, the world, alchemy/crafting

Which can also mean math, graphics, depth of character, amount of freedom, dialog, etc. And that’s ok, despite taylor’s knee jerk reaction to my post and my Witcher opinion. I think games are more about problem solving, rules, narrative supported by puzzles and obstacles. Rules and limitations are actually important to “a game,” the more freedom you have the less gamelike, to me, it is. What would a real life football game be in a field with no boundaries? Is it football anymore?

Which game is harder, more of a challenge: Battletoads or Witcher?

That’s the point.
Posted by BulldogXero
Member since Oct 2011
9762 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 10:21 am to
Combat? Nope
Character progression? Nope

It is one of the best examples of a narrative-driven open world game done right though. The world is incredibly detailed and immersive, and a lot of the side quests are just as entertaining if not more so than the main story missions. Many of them even intertwine with the main story and affect the ending you receive when you beat the game. You do have other activities like treasure hunting, monster nests, and other such activities that don't really add much to the game but don't really detract from it either.

That's the difference in a game like Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition. In my eyes, they set out to do very similar things, but everything you do in Witcher 3 feels so much more meaningful and the quests you undertake have so much more personality than those in Inquisition.
This post was edited on 8/2/17 at 10:22 am
Posted by JumpingTheShark
America
Member since Nov 2012
22890 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 10:31 am to
Great game - I became obsessed with playing it rather quickly.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 8/2/17 at 10:34 am to
quote:

I knew before the first reply what this thread was going to turn into

Which is how? I didn't advocate, nor bring up BOTW in this discussion?
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram