Posted by boom roasted
Member since Sep 2010
28039 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 3:36 pm to
Posted by VermilionTiger
Member since Dec 2012
37602 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 3:39 pm to
Oh well, I'm not worried about it because it only made me lose 1 game.

Pierre Thomas and Keenen Allen are the only two that I have to worry about. If Dixon can do something or if Murray goes down (I'll have Randle ready), I'll be set.

(I also have Dan Bailey as my kicker and Philly has my defense )
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37362 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:01 pm to
quote:

It was fun while it lasted, but how hard is it to get the caliber of team where you don't need to do anything other than just sit back and watch your team pile up the points?

Can you ever get there though? MY strategy changes based on the time of year:

Weeks 1-4 Pile up WR and RBs and see who catches on.

Weeks 5-12 make a change here or there depending on needs/injuries. This is trade time, find the weak players or those who have major talent at single spots (2 top 10 QBs, 2 Top 10 TEs). You probably have the RBs or WRs to catch their eye.

Weeks 13-17 Cure your last weak spot (there's always one), shore up on starters for the playoff, settle in and win. Even in this period, who was good at the beginning of the year may not be good now. DT88 looks great, but if Denver is 14-2 heading into the last 3 weeks, I'm not sure he'll continue with 25+ point games.

I just completed a trade, FJax/ J Reed for Rivers/H Hiller to, I think, complete my roster for now. That allowed me to drop Miller and pick up Tre Mason.

My roster isn't as great as some, but I really feel league tells all. I can't see how people can put together a Dez, DT88, Jones Receiving core. In a fairly competitive league:

QBs - Rivers, Ryan
WR - DT88, Garcon, Allen (my weakest area)
RB - Forte, Tate, Oliver, Jennings, Mason, Stacy
TE - Kelce
K - Walsh
DEF - Houston, Arizona

3rd place, just in the right spot to make the right moves to win. I feel that's the sweet spot. Keep Zona around until the Bye, Dropping Stacy after this weekend, etc.

To me the sweet spot is when you're can be comfortable making any move and know that other than injury, your team can churn points and be flexible.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:04 pm to
quote:

Can you ever get there though

I was there last year...it was blissful.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37362 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:12 pm to
quote:

quote:

Can you ever get there though

I was there last year...it was blissful.

In a casual league, sure. In a competitive league though? I've never seen it.

Plus injuries can blow up any "sweet spot" in an instant. If you get lucky with 0 injuries through the year, then maybe it's a possibility.
Posted by Byron Bojangles III
Member since Nov 2012
51694 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:14 pm to
I was in a prime position this year until FJAX went down
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:19 pm to
2/3 guys I drafted took me there, burned a really high waiver priority on alshon Jeffery after week 2 I think.

so whether my league is competitive or not, it can be done. I was like 2-4, and then boom. I learned to be patient with later round picks.

I keep drafting fricking dud RBs in the first round though...I just want to pick last or near last and never can.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37362 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:25 pm to
quote:

I was in a prime position this year until FJAX went down

And if your bench is weak and you've consolidated all your leverage to your starters you may not have much to work with. I tried that strategy one year and got burned bad. I lost my last 4-5 games by under 9 points every time, could just never find the right mix to replace what I lost and 0 trade leverage I had nothing to trade. Mid-Late season injuries can be rough because most of the Waiver champs have been picked up. Went from First to 7th or something. The lowest I've ever finished in FF.
This post was edited on 10/22/14 at 4:26 pm
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37362 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:29 pm to
quote:

2/3 guys I drafted took me there, burned a really high waiver priority on alshon Jeffery after week 2 I think.

so whether my league is competitive or not, it can be done. I was like 2-4, and then boom.

Awesome. But was that the only time you've ever hit the "sweet spot?"

quote:

I learned to be patient with later round picks.

Probably the toughest thing in FF to have. Sometimes it bites you in the butt. I dropped Forsett after Week 3 this year. Doh!

I've recovered with Good pickups, but i think I lost 1 game only because of the Forsett drop.

quote:

I keep drafting fricking dud RBs in the first round though...I just want to pick last or near last and never can.

This year's draft was ridiculous though. 4/6 top picks Injured or Suspended, QBs like Brady taking weeks to get it going. It's been a weird year.
This post was edited on 10/22/14 at 4:29 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:32 pm to
quote:

But was that the only time you've ever hit the "sweet spot?"

oh yeah...i'll never recreate that...if I do then

quote:

Probably the toughest thing in FF to have

I guess this year I didn't have a player that was worth waiting out, but I've owned McKinnon since week 3 and I haven't let go...I think it could pay huge dividends down the stretch
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37362 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:34 pm to
quote:

I guess this year I didn't have a player that was worth waiting out, but I've owned McKinnon since week 3 and I haven't let go...I think it could pay huge dividends down the stretch

Yup.

On my second team, not the one above, at one point I had Peterson, Asiata and McKinnon. Just grab them all and wait it out.

Now, just Mckinnon is left, and he's probably a starter for me the rest of the way.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 4:38 pm to
last year it would've been so easy to let go of lacy or Gordon

I don't know why I didn't drop lacy at some point during that 3 week stretch...it's not because I'm smart
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37362 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 5:04 pm to
quote:

last year it would've been so easy to let go of lacy or Gordon

Had Gordon myself.

quote:

I don't know why I didn't drop lacy at some point during that 3 week stretch...it's not because I'm smart

Posted by geauxscott
Member since Nov 2007
939 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 5:29 pm to
I'm about as close as I can get without sacrificing depth in my 12-Team PPR. Only real decision is my Flex and now QB. Thought I was set with Ryan at QB but that has changed over the last couple of weeks.

QB: Ryan/Palmer
RB1: Gio
RB2: Ellington
WR1: DT88
WR2: Dez
TE: Gronk
Flex: Joique/Roddy/Garcon/McKinnon
Posted by MountainTiger
The foot of Mt. Belzoni
Member since Dec 2008
14665 posts
Posted on 10/22/14 at 6:40 pm to
I'm kind of at that point right now. I have Rivers, Murray, McCoy, Dez & Maclin as the core of my team. I have Brady and I'll start him some weeks (like last week) and I rotate my flex position depending on matchups (was Odell last week). Other that that, I just ride my horses as far as they'll take me.
Posted by Mr Facts
Member since Dec 2009
80 posts
Posted on 10/23/14 at 2:50 am to
pretty damn close

10 team

Kaepernick
Murray
Mccoy
DT88
Julio
Antonio Gates
Steve Smith
Seahawks D
Dan Bailey

Bench: Vereen, Welker, Hillman, Gore,
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram