Posted on 3/18/13 at 8:18 pm to
Posted by Sho Nuff
Oahu
Member since Feb 2009
11906 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 8:18 pm to
quote:

What kind of great?

An overall amazing, historically important and influential film? No, not at all.

A great mix of writing, acting, editing, etc.? Eh, probably so, but maybe not. It's certainly a character piece and it is great at that. Not sure the rest is really up to snuff. But it's debatable.

People make me laugh. Yeah, the movie is just ok
Posted by dawgdayafternoon
Jacksonville, GA
Member since Jul 2011
21597 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 8:19 pm to
Other than the hairstyle and working with the FBI, I don't see a big connection.
Posted by RollTide1987
Augusta, GA
Member since Nov 2009
64966 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 8:27 pm to
quote:

A great mix of writing, acting, editing, etc.? Eh, probably so, but maybe not.

It most definitely is. Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster, Ted Levine, and Scott Glenn all did excellent jobs. The film was also well-written and well-directed.
Posted by iwyLSUiwy
I'm your huckleberry
Member since Apr 2008
34202 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 9:10 pm to
One of the best movies of all time.

I don't even see hot this can be debatable ...

quote:

A great mix of writing, acting, editing, etc.?

*i haven't read the whole thread yet
Posted by MrFreakinMiyagi
Reseda
Member since Feb 2007
18949 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 9:14 pm to
Great flick.

I can't think of any flaws with SotL, honestly.
Posted by la_birdman
Lake Charles
Member since Feb 2005
31001 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 11:02 pm to
Great movie. I never get tired of watching it.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 11:09 pm to
I do remember how they framed the dialogue, it was obnoxious. What I'm really asking is...is SotL great based solely on the merits of Anthony Hopkins' performance

It's an effin iconic character
This post was edited on 3/18/13 at 11:12 pm
Posted by REG861
Ocelot, Iowa
Member since Oct 2011
36403 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 11:11 pm to
have yall ever heard the song 'Goodbye Horses' outside of the movie? God that is some creepy shite, even on its own
Posted by iwyLSUiwy
I'm your huckleberry
Member since Apr 2008
34202 posts
Posted on 3/18/13 at 11:18 pm to
No not solely on that at all. Jame Gumb is always overlooked bc of Hannibal but he is right on par with him or maybe better.

The connection between Hannibal and Starling is unique. I love the quote "you know they're going to say we're in love" (might not have quoted that exactly but..). He had a genuine interest in her and wanted to help just by getting to hear her history. Someone that the entire world considers a monster wants to help poor little Clarice solve a crime. Better than any love story could have been. You see his true genius too.

Posted by Blue Velvet
Apple butter toast is nice
Member since Nov 2009
20112 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 12:43 am to
quote:

One of the best movies of all time.
I agree, definitely in the top 1,000.
Posted by JombieZombie
Member since Nov 2009
7687 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 4:01 am to
It's not Citizen Kane or anything, but yes... it's a great film.
Posted by Sho Nuff
Oahu
Member since Feb 2009
11906 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 4:18 am to
quote:

I agree, definitely in the top 1,000.

You couldn't name 200 better films. IMO, it's in the top 100 films of all time and probably a good bit higher.
This post was edited on 3/19/13 at 4:19 am
Posted by Bloodworth
North Ga
Member since Oct 2007
4000 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 6:15 am to
Demme pretty much nailed the casting of Foster and Hopkins as main characters. Can you imagine anybody else playing Starling or Lecter?

Thomas Harris got exponentially richer off of this film!
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 7:47 am to
quote:

People make me laugh. Yeah, the movie is just ok

Eh, I didn't say the movie was ok at all, I said two things:

It's greatness overall, as a Top 100, or even worse, Top 50, is out of the question. As said above, it isn't Citizen Kane. It also isn't Metropolis, Seven Samurai, The Godfather, or any number of truly great films.

Yes there are 100, probably more than 200 truly better films, at least. (Let's see where it fits on our Top 200 thread).

Secondly, its "greatness" through quality of "parts" is debatable. I'd probably be on the side of "pretty good," but I'm admittedly overly harsh on film. I feel a film really has to connect, has to be perfect in multiple ways to be a great film. SotL falls just short for me.

And no one can say if it's perfect as a fact, so I admit, it's debatable, and I certainly be up for the debate.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 7:57 am to
quote:

What I'm really asking is...is SotL great based solely on the merits of Anthony Hopkins' performance

If this is the question, then the answer is no. Easily. A one-trick pony is never great. Now if we argue for importance to pop culture, maybe there's an argument, but if this is the question, there are other movie that have better film qualities and better singular actors.

There are 50 films with wonderful performances where the film is absolute mediocrity. SotL isn't mediocre, so there's that. It isn't great either.

The problem I see is that we often react like this for every film, it is the way of the internet. "SotL is a great film!" "The Gladiator is a great film!" "Lincoln was a great film!"

We have named what 1000 great films? What's the point of greatness if everything is great save for Epic Movie and Brown Bunny?
This post was edited on 3/19/13 at 8:01 am
Posted by RollTide1987
Augusta, GA
Member since Nov 2009
64966 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 8:07 am to
quote:

What I'm really asking is...is SotL great based solely on the merits of Anthony Hopkins' performance

No. While Anthony Hopkins delivered an iconic performance in the role of Hannibal Lecter, you have to remember he was only in the film for 16 minutes of the film's 118 minute run time.

Johnathan Demme did a brilliant job directing the film, particularly the scenes between Clarice and Hannibal and most especially the final confrontation in Buffalo Bill's basement.
Posted by Blue Velvet
Apple butter toast is nice
Member since Nov 2009
20112 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 9:35 am to
quote:

Eh, I didn't say the movie was ok at all, I said two things:

It's greatness overall, as a Top 100, or even worse, Top 50, is out of the question. As said above, it isn't Citizen Kane. It also isn't Metropolis, Seven Samurai, The Godfather, or any number of truly great films.

Yes there are 100, probably more than 200 truly better films, at least. (Let's see where it fits on our Top 200 thread).

Secondly, its "greatness" through quality of "parts" is debatable. I'd probably be on the side of "pretty good," but I'm admittedly overly harsh on film. I feel a film really has to connect, has to be perfect in multiple ways to be a great film. SotL falls just short for me.

And no one can say if it's perfect as a fact, so I admit, it's debatable, and I certainly be up for the debate.
The voice of reason in a world gone to hell.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37247 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 9:52 am to
quote:

Demme pretty much nailed the casting of Foster and Hopkins as main characters. Can you imagine anybody else playing Starling or Lecter?

I'd argue Brian Cox is just as good, if not better, than Hopkins. And I do like Hopkins' take on Lecter, Cox is a bit different though, and far more menacing .

The "cultural" effect of Lecter's portrayal, (which mostly came from the odd sensibilities he gave Lecter, and voice) allowed it to overshadow great work from Cox and a really wonderful take on the same character.
Posted by Tiger Ryno
#WoF
Member since Feb 2007
102983 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 11:21 am to
quote:

The "cultural" effect of Lecter's portrayal, (which mostly came from the odd sensibilities he gave Lecter, and voice) allowed it to overshadow great work from Cox and a really wonderful take on the same character.

Posted by TDTGodfather
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2007
6169 posts
Posted on 3/19/13 at 11:23 am to
quote:

silence of the lambs a great film?

loved it
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 7Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram