1) It's a run-first offense
2) He's often priority one for opposing defenses
3) Doesn't get a lot of designed targets relative to the star TEs, for the above two reasons
4) Compared to all of the other quality receiving TEs, he's by far the most asked to stay inside
5) The staff likes to spread it around
6) Since Kaepernick's taken over he's gotten even less targets
The year he arrived and set what was the TE TD record at the time, the offense as a whole was lacking and Smith was too reliant on him. We have a balanced offense now and there aren't the touches to go around for him to be among leaders.
If he doesn't produce because he "sucks given his abilities," what is it that he's doing wrong (as opposed to the above)?
This post was edited on 12/9 at 10:12 pm