Ok, I'm ready for the heat and support that this VERY rare thread on LSY gym team brings. If your argument is "no one cares about gym team" fine, we can agree to disagree, that is not my point..I care about all LSU sports(season tickets in 4 sports inc Gym)I care much more about FB, MB Baseball and for me WB. BUT If we have a team it should at least be a top tier SEC sport every 5 or so years. I will again present facts that clearly show this coach for 36 years, is at best average and please note I am only using facts, not going into her "likeablity, chemistry witin the AD etc." I will leave that to others..numbers are what they are, please tell me how we accept, for 36 years
(SEC has 9 teams as of 2013, but most of the past 36 years had 5-7 teams. There are 53 D1 Gym teams in country and 32 are from BCS confs, outside of SEC/PAC 12 there are few big time programs. Teams from the ACC and Big East are independents as there are not enough teams!)
* One single SEC championship in 1981 (out of 5 teams)
* We have lost 80% of our meets
versus Ala, UGA and UF...80%! Over a 36 year period...
* We have finished in the bottom half of the SEC 11 of the last 14 years
. Almost always ahead of Ark (had no until program 12 years ago), Aub and KY, but almost always behind UGA, Ala and UF..in a 6-7 team league.
* Last year was one of our best years, but we still finished 3rd in SEC and 5th overall. So bascially we were in top 10% of country, which is equal to being top 33 in Womens basketball and top 30 in men's..and this was one of BEST years.
* Our facilities were redone in mid 1990's and we still never won SEC and rarely challenge for it. (currently our facilties are well below the UGA and UF's and while this is often used as an excuse for DD supporters, please keep in mind she has had 36 years to win, and for much of that our facilties were competitive).
* Other programs at LSU have had at least as much success with worse facilties and lower salaries. Softball is best example-played on a temporary field for first 10 years, but won or challenged for SEC 6 of those years.
Our team, girls, program and university deserve better! I stay away from any personality issues and ask how we keep a coach (making $150k+ extras) for 36 years when she loses to our rivals 80%+ of the time? Is there ANY excuse for this. Gym is a small pond and we do not put in what Ala and some others put in, but what coach/program in any sport in SEC history goes 36 years with one title (32 years ago) in a 6-7 team conf. and losses to rivals 80%+ of the time..answer...one program only..our gym team
thanks for listeneing, I welcome any facts that support or argue either side. I know this is NOT a major concern of LSU AD and should not ever be, but does it ever get looked at?
This post was edited on 1/10 at 4:25 pm