Posted by
Message
lsutiger2010
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2008
9546 posts

Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
I recently decided to add security cameras to my house. I don't mind paying top dollar for the best equipment, so I decided to go with the Arlo Ultra.

After about a week, I've decided to take them down and return them. They don't live up to the 4k name. Motion triggering is inconsistent at best. Most time a package is delivered to my door, the video doesn't start until the person is walking away. And connectivity is very spotty. If I get on the app, it could take up to a minute or two before I get a video feed. And the app itself sucks. Constantly crashes and freezes.

With that said, I would like to find another option. Ideally, I would like to put it a POE system, but running the wiring in my house would be very difficult due to the roof lines. So does anyone have an suggestions for a wireless camera system? I am intrigued by the Blink XT2, but would like some feedback before I go through the process of installing more cameras.


pioneerbasketball
Arkansas Fan
Team Bunchie
Member since Oct 2005
91274 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
Was thinking about getting the Arlo ultra myself.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
21
tigersmanager
LSU Fan
Member since Jun 2010
2039 posts
 Online 

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
I have blink xt they work good but suffer from same problems as the arlos


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
10
DoubleDown
Alabama Fan
New Orleans, Louisiana
Member since Oct 2008
10061 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
So I use the Nest doorbell and have 2 Nest Cams in my house to keep an eye on my little ones.
All 3 have about a 2 second delay from the actual event but that's about the best your gonna get when it's internet based.

One thing I have noticed is router placement and speed GREATLY impacts my video quality and the delay. So for example when I started using google next pucks and placed 1 closer to those 3 cams, the picture became much clearer and the delay reduced greatly.


Lefty Diego
West of the Pecos
Member since Aug 2009
617 posts
 Online 

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
I have Lorex POE but they have wireless sytems also.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
00
lsutiger2010
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2008
9546 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

but that's about the best your gonna get when it's internet based.



If this is the case, I might end of biting the bullet and going the POE route. I'm assuming with the POE systems, I can still get motion alerts sent to my phone along with 24/7 recording. Is that correct?


Korkstand
LSU Fan
Plaquemine, LA
Member since Nov 2003
16413 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

I'm assuming with the POE systems, I can still get motion alerts sent to my phone along with 24/7 recording. Is that correct?
Correct, the power and connectivity of the camera is unrelated to the motion alert and recording options.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
00
diat150
Tulane Fan
OPELOUSAS
Member since Jun 2005
30668 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
Get you a semi powerful PC, purchase blue iris, then purchase individual wireless cameras. The blue iris mobile app is awesome.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
20
Cwar11
LSU Fan
Shreveport
Member since Jan 2010
1657 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
I’m currently using the ring spot light battery cam.
Had to purchase a $17 WiFi extender from amazon but it works great now. 1080 picture & video. Easy to mount, set up, and app works great.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
00
TD SponsorTD Fan
USA
Member since 2001
Thank you for supporting our sponsors
Advertisement
Douglas Quaid
TBD Fan
Mars
Member since Mar 2010
2649 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
The cold hard truth is that POE systems are much much better than wireless in every performance metric.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
10
CAD703X
Toledo Fan
Liberty Island
Member since Jul 2008
60498 posts
 Online 

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

So I use the Nest doorbell and have 2 Nest Cams in my house to keep an eye on my little ones.
All 3 have about a 2 second delay from the actual event but that's about the best your gonna get when it's internet based.


my ring always captures 1-2 seconds from before the event begins right through it. are you saying your camera is missing what happens or that you are expecting to pick your phone up within 1-2 seconds of something happening and you're not able to see it 'live' in time?

i'm not sure what the issue here. i am a huge fan of ring. cheap, great quality video, never misses anything.


TigerWise
USA Fan
13th Ward
Member since Sep 2010
34450 posts
 Online 

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

am a huge fan of ring. cheap, great quality video, never misses anything.



Ring seems to be the best wireless option but you do miss things compared to a hardwired system with local storage.


DoubleDown
Alabama Fan
New Orleans, Louisiana
Member since Oct 2008
10061 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

my ring always captures 1-2 seconds from before the event begins right through it. are you saying your camera is missing what happens or that you are expecting to pick your phone up within 1-2 seconds of something happening and you're not able to see it 'live' in time?

No I'm saying that if I turn the live feed on from my phone or my google nest home screen in the kitchen, when my girls go run in their room and yell at the camera, it's about 1 second behind the actual event.
Hope that made sense. It's just the internet so there will always be a delay.

The recording is still there but if my girls drop a glass in their room, I hear the thud about 1 second before I see the actual even on my phone or whatever.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
10
CAD703X
Toledo Fan
Liberty Island
Member since Jul 2008
60498 posts
 Online 

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

Ring seems to be the best wireless option but you do miss things compared to a hardwired system with local storage.


i spent years fooling around with foscam cameras; blue iris software, NAS storage..the whole 9 yards.

i would say it worked great about 10% of the time and the other 90% of the time was me fussing with something that went wrong.

i loved how powerful and how many features i had but hated everything else about the experience.

now i'm a ring whore.


Korkstand
LSU Fan
Plaquemine, LA
Member since Nov 2003
16413 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

i spent years fooling around with foscam cameras; blue iris software, NAS storage..the whole 9 yards.

i would say it worked great about 10% of the time and the other 90% of the time was me fussing with something that went wrong.

i loved how powerful and how many features i had but hated everything else about the experience.

now i'm a ring whore.


I took mostly the same path, though I wouldn't call myself a ring whore.

I still plan to work on a surveillance camera system idea of mine, and hopefully the Pine64 Cube at a target price of $20 doesn't turn into vaporware.

IMO, the perfect system would not rely on central control and storage. Instead, each camera would do its own motion detecting and recording, and all of the cameras would form a mesh network. This way you don't have to worry about running out of processing power on your central server, or having to add storage to your NAS as you add more cameras. Each camera you add brings its own processing power and storage, but they function as one system with a unified UI.

I already know that ZoneMinder has a multi-server option, and I'm pretty sure it would run decently on that Pine64 Cube. There are several options for distributed storage with redundancy, but it would probably take a lot of work to make it mostly "plug and play" so that you could just add a camera and its storage would be added to the pool. There is also the matter of setting up a distributed and redundant database, but I think it can be done.


Do you guys think this is something worth working on?


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
01
TigerWise
USA Fan
13th Ward
Member since Sep 2010
34450 posts
 Online 

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

spent years fooling around with foscam cameras; blue iris software, NAS storage..the whole 9 yards. i would say it worked great about 10% of the time and the other 90% of the time was me fussing with something that went wrong.


Well that’s b/c you were tinkering with a Frankenstein system.

I have Ring too but it doesn’t replace a CCTV system especially if you are in a high traffic area with crime.


CAD703X
Toledo Fan
Liberty Island
Member since Jul 2008
60498 posts
 Online 

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

Well that’s b/c you were tinkering with a Frankenstein system


This describes every project at my house


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
00
ashy larry
LSU Fan
Marcy Projects
Member since Mar 2010
4336 posts

re: Not happy with Arlo Ultra cameras; any suggestions for another brand?
quote:

I don't mind paying top dollar for the best equipment,

Avoid just about anything with a battery.
quote:

Motion triggering is inconsistent at best.

There is always a possibility to miss motion even on wired cameras, but battery cameras basically sleep b/t motion recordings to save battery life. In my experience anything with a battery leaves a lot to be desired. They are better than nothing, but very limited.

quote:

POE system

Ideal
quote:

does anyone have an suggestions for a wireless camera system?

I have ring cameras and they work pretty decent. The wired version definitely work better than the battery operated cameras. I wish they had 24/7 recording like nest, but that may be a future option to add.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
00
first pageprev pagePage 1 of 1next pagelast page
refresh

Back to top

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram