re: Saints fact of the day -- Brees is sorta good(Posted by thedice20 on 11/14/13 at 2:34 pm to OldSouth)
i copy pastad this from another sports forum. People discussing Brees rank all time....
People started to bash him etc...
one guy posted this golden piece...
1. The Saints are 1-3 in the postseason on the road. Unless someone thinks playing a Super Bowl in Miami counts as a "home game". Brees has thrown a combined 10 TDs and 3 picks in those 4 games, and in the 3 losses, his defense gave up 39, 41, and 36 points
2. Brees has played in 9 postseason games. The average scores of those games has been 31 - 27. In other words, taking into account defensive scores (and removing them from his score) he has averaged 30 ppg and his defense has given up an average of 27.
3. Regardless of how often he's thrown the ball, he averages 7.6 YPA in the postseason. Compare to Peyton's 7.46 and Brady's 6.54.
4. Normalizing Brady, Manning, and Brees' postseason performances to a 16-game season:
Manning: 385 comp, 609 att, 63.2%, 4543 yards, 7.46 YPA, 26 TDs, 17 int, 88.4 PR
T. Brady: 369 comp, 591 att, 62.3%, 3966 yards, 6.71 YPA, 28 TDs, 15 int, 87.4 PR
D. Brees: 466 comp, 697 att, 66.8%, 5298 yards, 7.60 YPA, 39 TDs, 7 int, 103.9 PR
So yes, Brees throws more, but that's because his defense gives up far, FAR more points, and he is still far far more efficient, throws more TDs, and turns the ball over half as often.
5. Brees' WORST postseason TD/INT ratio in any game is 2:1. In other words, in the 3 games where Brees threw a pick, he threw twice as many TDs. 6 games, he threw no interceptions
Manning has thrown more picks than TDs in 5 games (including 2 wins in his Super Bowl run)
Brady did it 6 times, going 3-3 in those games
In other words, when Manning throws more picks than TDs, his team can still carry him to a Super Bowl
Brady is 50:50 to win games where he throws more picks than TDs
Brees has to be PERFECT in order to in in the postseason, and even that's not a guarantee (404 yards, 2 TDs, 0 picks, LOSS to Seattle)
6. Peyton Manning has as many pick-6/OT picks as Brees has interceptions in the postseason
7. Manning threw more picks in the first 2 games of his 2006 Super Bowl run than Brees has in his postseason career
8. Brady has thrown twice as many picks in 3 games vs. the Ravens as Brees has thrown in his postseason career
9. Peyton Manning has never, in his career, had any less than 2 first rounders at the offensive skill positions, and has had as many as 5. Brees has never had more than 2
10. Brees put up 5000 yards in 2008 while his 1st and 2nd string RBs were injured a large part of the season (UDFA RB), his primary TE was a 4-team journeyman in his last season in the NFL (7th rounder), and his "superstar" 7th round TE/WR convert was injured most of the year, leaving him with a UDFA as his primary WR.
Funny how New Orleans' skill position guys have been around for awhile, don't get paid that much, are supposedly "so talented", yet nobody else in the NFL is looking to offer them much $$$ to pull them away from New Orleans. Bottom line - Brees makes lemonade when handed lemons. Manning has been provided with the absolute top notch skill position talent his whole career, and has ridden that talent to a record number of one-and-done's.
For all the talk of Manning's "bad defenses", they are downright dominant compared to the ones the Saints have fielded, including last year's historically inept, record-setting Saints' defense