BearTiger LSU Fan Baton Rouge Member since Jul 2006 1501 posts
Preseason CSAL 8th Grade Basketball RankingsPosted by BearTiger on 12/7/06 at 2:24 pm
Since jamborees start tonight and continue until Saturday, and the regular season starts next week, it is perfect time for the preseason CSAL 8th Grade Basketball Rankings. Chances are one of these top 8 teams will be cutting down the nets in Catholic High's gym at the elite 8 tournament in February.
1. St. George - Defending 8th grade champions. This team is not quite as good as the 82-0 or 73-3 teams of old, but is the clear cut favorite to take home the elite 8 championship. The most all around team in the league has an intimidation factor instilled by their coach that all St. George teams have. St. George teams seem to be a well oiled machine by the time they reach 8th grade. The man to man defense is the toughest in the league.
2. St. Jude - They may be undersized but they have a lot of heart. Their star player averaged 11.42 ppg as a 7th grader. He scored 22 in 3 games last season. They went 3-3 against St. George last season. A strong number 2 in the league. They are well coached and look to be a strong contender.
3. St. TheresaThis hardnosed bunch is not scared of anyone on their schedule. Some people are calling it the best team St. Theresa has ever had.
4. St. AloysiusNot as soft as Aloysius teams normally are. They are a definite threat to the teams ranked ahead of them. It should be an interesting year for them.
5. Our Lady of Mercy - Another undersized team, that is probably the most inconsistent in the league. You never know what team is going to show up when they play. Can play with anyone in the league on their good days, but have stunk up the gym a few times. Mercy is looking to get to their third straight championship game in a row. They were runner up last year and champions the year before.
6. St. Thomas More - Once a powerhouse, the talent is not what it used to be. The young coaches should be able to put this team in position to win a lot of ballgames. You can never count a team out wearing the st. thomas more jerseys. The flex offense has been a mainstay for years, and they run it to perfection. Eagle pride may have a down year though.
7. CHS - Rumor is that their transfer center from Sacred Heart has moved up to play freshman ball, but they still have some good guards. CHS 8th grade is not known for athletics, but seem to contend more than they used to. They look to go to their third straight elite 8.
8. ACMS - This school is known for their consistent free throw shooting. One of the toughest placest to play in the CSAL, and led by their female coach, Ascension Catholic should not sneak up on people like in years past. They always come ready to play. They seem to get into the elite 8 tournament every year.
JimNall LSU Fan Baton Rouge Member since May 2006 3157 posts
re: Preseason CSAL 8th Grade Basketball RankingsPosted by JimNall on 12/7/06 at 2:32 pm to Goofy Reilly
quote: well that's over with he's talking about the boys now you know
the girls did good considering
now u have me curious....who are u? the girls did really good considering it is half 7th graders playing up....and they really didnt have a dominant player other than collier and she didnt stack up to alot of the teams all stars....