Cleaning mold from a big green egg | TigerDroppings.com

Posted byMessage
Trauma14
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2010
3075 posts

Cleaning mold from a big green egg



During my wife's first trimester, I seldom cooked on my BGE because of this. It now has mold on it and I plan on cooking a pizza with it tonight. I was just going to burn it for an hour at lunch today then scrape off the residue.

Would this be sufficient or should I disinfect in someway? Also, has this happened to other BGE owners?







Back to top
Share:
Early Cuyler
LSU Fan
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2009
4266 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


Just throw that sucker in the pool...the chlorine will disinfect it



























Srsly...don't do this






Just mix a little bleach in with some water and spray it on the moldy parts...then wash.



This post was edited on 5/13 at 11:32 am


Back to top
Trauma14
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2010
3075 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


quote:

Just throw that sucker in the pool...the chlorine will disinfect it



The wife or the BGE...






Back to top
Early Cuyler
LSU Fan
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2009
4266 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


quote:

The wife or the BGE


well played sir...well played






Back to top
El Jefe
LSU Fan
_______(\___ southeast of disorder
Member since Jan 2004
786 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


with the humidity here, it doesn't take long for mold to grow. fire it up, open all the vents and burn it off.





Back to top
Catman88
LSU Fan
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Dec 2004
40245 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


Sounds like something Oxyclean may work well for.





Back to top
LEASTBAY
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2007
3744 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


burn it, I wouldnt put chemicals on the inside especially





Back to top
  Replies (0)
Gris Gris
LSU Fan
OTIS!OTIS!OTIS!OTIS!NO BAY LEAVES!
Member since Feb 2008
26405 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


quote:

with the humidity here, it doesn't take long for mold to grow. fire it up, open all the vents and burn it off.


Had it happen once. This is what I did. Burned it off and went on cooking.






Back to top
  Replies (0)
BROffshoreTigerFan
USA Fan
Youngsville
Member since Oct 2007
9664 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


awesome start to a thread.





Back to top
  Replies (0)
jeepfreak
LSU Fan
Back in the BR
Member since Oct 2003
18903 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


Clean it with a bleach/water mix, then burn it off.





Back to top
  Replies (0)
webstew
LSU Fan
B-city
Member since May 2009
607 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg


It has happened to me. I just burned it out. This is from the BGE FAQ page:

Mold has grown in my EGG. How can I remove it safely?
Mold is naturally in the air around us virtually all the time. When it settles in a warm, moist environment, such as the interior of the EGG, it can readily grow and spread. When this occurs you will actually see the mold. To eliminate it, just light the EGG and bring the temperature up to 450°F and allow the EGG to "cook" for about 30 minutes. Then close the vents to put out the fire; after it cools down use a wire brush to remove any leftover mold residue. Do not use any chemicals to treat the mold! The ceramics can absorb the chemicals and emit dangerous fumes when the EGG is in use thereafter.

That should take care of it.

Prost!






Back to top
  Replies (0)


Back to top