re: ....

Posted on 5/27/16 at 6:01 pm to
Posted by biglego
Ask your mom where I been
Member since Nov 2007
76124 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 6:01 pm to
quote:

Really? There are a lot of people that would disagree. It may not be physical but it's a sport.

It's a skill game, like darts or pool. Your son might get burnt out on it Bc yes I'm sure it's mentally demanding, but it doesn't carry the sheer exhaustion and battering of the body and danger that football does. To push someone into playing football more than they want to can be dangerous.
Posted by rilesrick
Member since Mar 2015
6704 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 6:08 pm to
If you,have to push him he doesn't have the fortitude to succeed anyway. All of the top tier athletes have an inner drive that gets them thru the long hot days and keeps them in the gym longer than others. He will make the decision based on his actions.
Posted by bayourougebengal
Member since Mar 2008
7193 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 6:38 pm to
All I would offer is my support and every opportunity I could afford for him to work at his craft. It would have to be him naming the decision to push himself.
Posted by Athletix
:pels:
Member since Dec 2012
5066 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 6:48 pm to
Lulz at all the parents in here saying they don't want there kid playing contact sports because of injuries... This country is so pussafied. I'm sure little Johnny sits in his room all day playing video games... Sports especially contact sports really do build character and toughness in a young man.

To the OP. Support your kid don't force any views onto him. But boys look up to their dads and if you're a hard working guy that loves the game, he'll feed off of that. Goodluck...
Posted by LSU alum wannabe
Katy, TX
Member since Jan 2004
26957 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 6:51 pm to
"Next level" should be treated like starting over for your kid. He has to love it, because it's about to get harder.

I'd get a second opinion too (if that's possible) if you know of anyone you trust who can be unbiased. Make sure somebody isn't blowing smoke up your arse for some reason. I don't know why somebody would do that, but in your OP it sounds like you were surprised.
Posted by RogerTheShrubber
Juneau, AK
Member since Jan 2009
259593 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 7:06 pm to
quote:

Lots of wannabes and LOTS of people on the other side applying it to anyone left of center.

Just like the term redneck is used to describe those right of center. There are a lot of very ignorant party loyalists in both camps
Posted by LSU alum wannabe
Katy, TX
Member since Jan 2004
26957 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 7:28 pm to
quote:

Lulz at all the parents in here saying they don't want there kid playing contact sports because of injuries... This country is so pussafied. I'm sure little Johnny sits in his room all day playing video games... Sports especially contact sports really do build character and toughness in a young man.

Pfft. I'm not pushing my kid away from football but I certainly would no longer suggest it. Not for my kid who will probably top out at 5'9" if lucky.

Golf and baseball for my Little Baw. Golf can build character. Keeping your own score. Trying to master something unmasterable.
Posted by Tim
Texas
Member since Jan 2005
7050 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 7:32 pm to
quote:

It's a skill game, like darts or pool. Your son might get burnt out on it Bc yes I'm sure it's mentally demanding, but it doesn't carry the sheer exhaustion and battering of the body and danger that football does. To push someone into playing football more than they want to can be dangerous.

I'm pretty sure I agreed with you on this point. Golf is not as physically demanding as football, however, it is a sport. A good golf swing requires an extremely athletic move.
Posted by Buck Dancer
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2008
4669 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 7:39 pm to
I was a late bloomer, I didn't start playing sports until 13. And I turned out pretty good without some cocksucker pushing me to be the next Lenny dykstra. I have a 4 year old son and I'm at the point that I don't sign him up for anything. He want to play he wants to play, but, I'm not pushing him into anything.
Posted by EA6B
TX
Member since Dec 2012
14754 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 7:46 pm to
quote:

No. You have a much better shot at being successful by merely working hard academically with average intelligence than working hard athletically with average athletic talent.

It is almost impossible to be successful academically while playing college football, I quit after one season so I could have a chance to make decent grades and pursue a career that could last most of my life. It seems like every other car salesman in Houston is a former college football player with a degree in physical education, there is a reason for that.
Posted by RedlandsTiger
Greenwell Springs, LA
Member since Jan 2008
2936 posts
Posted on 5/27/16 at 9:26 pm to
quote:

you don't You support him/her If it gets to that point, your kid is already deep in high school and can make the decisions on if they want to pursue whatever skill it is they are blessed with.

This.

I always told my boys; 'Show up, do your best, keep a positive attitude and good things happen'.

Sports are a slice of life.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram