Sanders’ plan included a form of community ownership where he would own 52% of the team while the remaining 48% would consist of 30,000 shares that would be offered to the public for $10 each. “This football team should belong to the people of Louisiana,” Sanders explained.
The shareholders would also have priority on season tickets as well. part 11
One day later, Congressman Celler called the manuevering “a shameful thing.”
One interesting footnote from this famous “end-around” by Long & Boggs. Just prior to votes on this measure, Rozelle was in the hallways of Congress waiting for the bill to be approved when Boggs approached him and stated in question form whther New Orleans would get the next franchise if the bill passed. Rozelle replied that he would definitely consider it. Boggs became so angry that he was going back into the House chambers to cancel the vote when Rozelle grabbed him by the shoulder and told him simply, “You got it.” part 13
By early December 1966, members of the press core started to chime in on what the new club’s nickname should be. Some of the suggestions included the Deltas, Crescents, Kings (for King Cotton), Tigers, Generals, Moccasins, Ramparts, Creoles, Dixie Landers, Jazz Kings and Cajuns.
National media were even suggesting head coaching candidates for the new team including Baltimore assistant coach Chuck Noll, Cardinals assistant Red Miller, Packers assistant Phil Bengtson and Howard Brinker of the Browns. Image: http://www.neworleans.com/images/stories/sports/saints_si_newteam.jpg