Before talking about the players I think coaching must be addressed. Monty is a great mentor but he needs to figure out a way to keep guys involved in the offense and constantly moving with or without the ball. When you have guys who arent great one-on-one like GV you have to have other guys moving around. We will not move up in the NBA ranks if each player tries to beat his opponent one-on-one. We need to run more pick and rolls, pick and pop, screens etc. with a young team. We need to space the floor maybe add another shooter, so we can penetrate (maybe another slasher) the lane and open up the floor. We definitely need a elite guy that can score at will maybe it will be a EG, I think we need a big body down low that can either muscle guys around and/or create his own shot it just seems like no one is ever in the paint for us - maybe this becomes AD if he adds weight and develops a back to the basket game, an offensive SF, maybe more athletic guys?
Basically i think we need an offensive SF, a presence on the block down low, and another athletic guard
I think you keep for next year and beyond (unless there's a trade) not in any specific order
1) GV - he can be our starter for the future if he works on his spot up shots and takes better shots esp down the stretch, not too athletic by NBA standards but a great passer and vocal leader obviously a better backup but we have more glaring needs at the moment - could he play a position besides PG if needed?
2) AR25 - dont really know what we are gonna get, is he going to be our future PG, is he going to be our 6th man, will he take over as our SG (barring we trade EG), or will he just be our backup PG/SG - I will say his athleticism is great he can almost get past anyone but he needs to work on finishing, FT, mid-range game, 3pt so he is a project but he shows promise
3) EG - hope he stays here and gets healthy obviously a key piece - needs to cut down on turnovers, once he gets in the lane it doesnt matter whats going on around him he is gonna put a shot up maybe he is just not used to playing with these guys but can be that elite level player we need
4) Chief - will be a great backup SF, would love him as a starter if we were set at other positions and we could score at will without him - theres a thread right now about Aminu developing a shot and if he can somehow learn to shoot the basketball he would be a player to keep an eye on and I agree - he also needs to work on his ball handling, definitely one of if not the most athletic guy on the team - could he play PF?
5) AD - will he stay at PF or will he develop into our C - i think he needs to add at least 25 lbs to be ready for a full time job at C - if he can add a turnaround jumper or a hook shot he could be an all star soon either way he may be our most consistant player right now at 19
6) Ryno - brings special dynamic as spacer and has become a decent shot creator but will he be a starting PF or is he better serviced off the bench - our best scoring option right now
7) Lopez or Smith - I actually really like both guys and if they are cheap keep them both but neither is our future at C they are simply both good backup C's - they dont really get physical down low. Lopez tries but usually gets pushed around
-I think you definitely let go of Xavier Henry and Darius Miller...maybe you keep around one or two of Brian Roberts, Mason Jr, and Lance Thomas
Definitely agree that we have three legit starters/players: EG, AD, and Ryno. Hopefully we hit a player in the lotto that can be a legitimate starter (Porter, Shabazz, Smart, Len). You could really start to see the Pelicans fly (I'm sorry thats bad) if that happens plus there are so many possibilities with the payroll we will have over the offseason. I feel like thats usually the case on most good teams you need between 3 and 4 legitmate starters. Which depends on the ability of your legit starters to cover up the others starters weakness.
Thats my analysis of the players/team dont know if thats what you were looking for but there you go anyway - i included questions that I have and i think most people have about the team...does most of this seem right? correct me where I'm off
This post was edited on 3/8 at 2:48 am