1. Has he tried LSU? Tons of departments there that might need someone with his skill. How about becoming an instructor/researcher in the Computer Science Department? He could start off as a post doc. Is that an option?
2. New Orleans has a startup scene that is getting bigger everyday. www.startupneworleans.com, www.neworleansstartupfund.com and lp.co (Launch Pad) are great places to find out about exciting tech startups in the area. Maybe one of the companies there is looking for someone with his skill? If he can't find something that 'challenges' him at a startup, I doubt he will find anything that does at a bigger established firm.
3. 'Gatorworks' is a company that came out of the startup incubator scene at NOLA. I know the founder is looking to move onto a more strategic role which might mean that he maybe looking for a senior level person to run day to day operations. You can check them out and see if anything fits.
4. www.flatstack.com is another company that is located on Magazine St. in New Orleans that might be worth looking into. He might get to travel to Russia too once in a while!
5. NASA - Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville Alabama is another option if you guys can move.
6. Like others have already mentioned, lots of tech companies are hiring in the BR/NOLA area these days. I hear IBM alone is looking to hire 750 or 1500 people or something crazy like that. There has to be something he is a fit for.
Also have him check out 'Silicon Bayou News' for latest info and/or job leads.
That's all I got. Hope something works out for him. Good luck.
This post was edited on 5/13 at 2:13 am