Have you written numerous times within the last 6 months that a bitcoin user can remain anonymous if he uses bitcoins?
Yes or no?
sigh. here we go again for the umpteenth time.
I don't think you guys actually read what I write, but I will still try to educate you regardless.
A few FACTS for you guys. Maybe this time you'll actually LISTEN:
1. Bitcoin by default is pseudonymous. That means that a bitcoin user is not identified by any names, social security numbers, or any other unique identifier.
2. All transactions in the bitcoin blockchain are public. For instance, look at this transaction: LINK
You can see that address "19herm..." sent either .299 bitcoin to "14R5rg..." with .4 bitcoin going to a "change" address of "12xKHk..." or it sent .4 bitcoins to "12xKHk..." with .299 bitcoins going to a "change" address of "14R5rg..."
There's no way to be 100% sure of the "change" address based on the information given. Also, there's no way to know the identity of the controller of any of those addresses unless other methods are utilized or the owner of them makes it publicly known.
3. That being said, a sufficiently motivated and funded party MIGHT be able to determine the owners of those bitcoin address, however, there is no guarantee of that.
Now, I know morons like LSURussian won't accept that, so I'll elaborate further.
4. IF OTHER STEPS ARE TAKEN, bitcoins can be used anonymously. For instance, mixing services and tumblers are available. A user could also exchange between multiple digital currencies to sever the "taint." There are many options available for enhancing anonymity.
5. There is a protocol add-on being developed called ZeroCoin
that will allow bitcoin to be used anonymously without the need to take the extra steps.
So, the ultimate answer is: Can bitcoin be used anonymously? YES. However, the simple answer for quick and dirty explanations of bitcoin is that it is simply pseudonymous.
And again, I have explained this I don't know how many times, but idiots like LSURussian refuse to acknowledge it. Mark my words, there will be another thread in the future where he or his butt buddies try to call me out on this anonymity issue.
This post was edited on 6/24 at 9:33 pm