1. The defense isn't "back". What we thought was "back" was really just the result of playing against a terrible UF "O" and an MSU team that lost heart after LSU regained control of that game in the 2nd half.
2. Our ability to stop the opponent on 3rd downs, particularly in the last drive of the game is abysmal. It happened against in both our losses this year and against several last year, including Bama. It's a problem that has continued throughout Chavis' tenure.
3. Our Linebackers are too small and too slow. We have no presence of a defense past the DL.
4. Our O-line's pass protection has major issues against "stunting" DL's.
5. There still seems to be a lot of indecision as to who our starting secondary is. We have a lot of interchangeable parts. Last night Ronald Martin played over Corey Thompson, who seemed effective the last couple of weeks.
6. Coaches changed up the running backs last night, there was a lot of RB by committee with Hill, Hilliard, Blue and Magee all getting carries in the 1st quarter. This didn't make a whole lot of sense last night and still doesn't today. Is there something else going on behind the scenes causing this coaching decision?
7. This D allowed over 500 yds offense last night for what seems like at least the 4th or 5th time this season. The likelihood for losses against UA and aTm are legit. Being a 4 or 5 loss team again this year is a definite reality.
8. Imagining this team without offensive players like Mett, Hill, OBJ, Landry, Collins and Blue combined with defensive issues that aren't easily fixable is concerning for next year. Having a young team may be a problem we end up having to deal with every year.
9. Les Miles confirmed once again he is a terrible time manager. It appears to stem from his lack of situational awareness and an inability to make a quick decision and act upon it. Example, deciding to go for it on fourth down late proved wise, but not making that decision until 17 seconds was left of the play clock is inexcusable. The lack of situational awareness and knowing what he had intended to do in that situation caused doubt, moment for thought and oops... a burned timeout. Had that TO not been burned and the other not wasted at the end we could have kept 2 TO's in our pocket for the end of the game that would have left us with over a minute remaining to tie or win the game.
10. Lastly, I have no idea what it will take to get this team and program back on the right track. When your game plan is to win on talent alone and you start losing underclassmen to the NFL you've got a major problem. In addition to the technical and game management side of things I think Les needs to work his arse off to "recruit" our 3rd round and higher type underclassmen to stay in school for another year.
Just my Sunday morning rant...
This post was edited on 10/20 at 11:47 am