Judging by the comments in this thread, im guessing the article is pro miles?
Guy says that athletes get special treatment. It isn't institutionalized special treatment. It is individuals giving certain athletes special treatment.
Guys outside the program may give athletes a few hundred bucks here and there for stuff like cutting grass because they are big-time athletes. They may buy them free meals. 90% of the athletes turn that stuff down. The other 10% accept it.
Some professors may give athletes special treatment so that they can play on Saturday. Athletes take easier majors and can get away with not going to class as much. They get free tutoring, and some tutors may overstep their bounds because they are athletes.
Girls like the Orange Pride girls are usually girls who like sports and their job is to show athletes around and do things like put candy in their lockers. Some of those girls are "jersey chasers" and join Orange Pride to date (or have sex) with athletes. But they are doing that on their own for their own motives.
He said the coaches like Miles warned against these types of things. He always reminds the athletes not to accept money, use common sense, and go to class to keep your grades high. He said they had 3 goals: 1. 100% graduation rate 2. National Championship 3. Big XII championship
Miles and the coaches always tried to steer them in the right direction.
So all of this stuff like getting paid, getting grades they don't deserve, having sex with girls, etc... it DOES happen. But it isn't anything sponsored by the football program. It is individuals giving special treatment to the big-time athletes they come in contact with, and morally loose athletes taking advantage.