My birthday is Friday, and with the anticipated birthday money, plus the money from selling old parts, I've decided to go with Haswell for now. I just ordered a Seasonic 80-plus gold 1250w PSU, MSI Mpower board (comes with free 8gb stick of crucial), and a 4770k. Also ordered a raystorm block to replace my rasa. Here's my reasoning:
1. My current motherboard is starting to get quirky on me. Not behaving properly at certain settings, no longer producing the current for the OCs I've been using. It's already been RMAed once, about a year and a half ago, and I'm sure this one was a refurb anyway.
2. My 1000w PSU is old, wasn't the best quality to begin with (according to that chart, it's manufactured by HEC), and it borderline not quite enough for my system and OCs.
3. Will be no out-of-pocket expense for me because of the birthday money, and I'm going to sell my 2600k, the motherboard, Rasa block, razor GPU block, and the 8GB ram.
4. Socket 2011 has one refresh remaining, coming in September, before EOL. I'm going to jump on the X99/2011-3 bandwagon sometime before 2015 while the Haswell hardware still has decent resale value.
5. I have the itch and I need to fricking scratch it.
I think I'm the only one on this board doing a Haswell build, so I'll report back my OC (not expecting miracles) and update my 3dmark scores.
This also gives me a good excuse to do a fresh windows install.
This post was edited on 6/18 at 2:58 pm