thank me later.........
TREEDAWG'S CHICKEN & SAUSAGE GUMBO
2 Whole Chickens
(Leftover Turkey can be substituted)
1 Lb. Sausage
5 Yellow Onions Chopped
4 Bell Peppers Chopped
3 Bunches Green Onions Chopped
1 Bunch Celery Chopped
1 Clove Garlic (1 Tsp. Chopped)
5 Bay Leaves
1 Lb. Sliced Okra
½ Cup Lea & Perrins
2 Cups Oil
2-1/2 Cups Flour
Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, White Pepper, Garlic Powder
Rice, French Bread, Tabasco, File’
1) Make a Stock:
- Use a 4 Gallon Pot and 2 Gal. Water.
- Add Bay Leaves, 3 Tbs. Salt, 1 Tbs. Garlic Powder, 1 Tsp. each of
Red, Black and White Pepper, 1 Onion and 3 Stalks Celery.
- Add cut up Chicken and/or Turkey Leftovers. Use everything including
giblets. I save bags of Poultry scraps in my freezer for making Stock
(Skin, Tails, Wing Tips, Carcass/Scraps, etc.).
- Cover and cook slow until meat is ready to de-bone (about 1 hour)
and let cool.
- Remove all unwanted skin, bones, etc.
- De-bone Chicken and set aside in fridge for later.
2) Slice Sausage 1/4" Thick, brown in deep sided Skillet and set aside
for later. Reserve rendered grease.
3) Make a Roux:
- Add 2 Cups Oil to rendered Sausage grease on low heat.
- Gradually whisk in 2-1/2 Cups Flour to heated oil.
- Stir frequently for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until the Roux is Dark Brown.
- Add Lea & Perrins to Roux and blend.
4) Saute chopped Onion, Bell Pepper, Celery in Roux. These should be
chopped and seasoned with Tony’s prior to starting.
5) Add Roux/Veggies to boiling Stock. Add water as needed. Chicken
Broth can be substituted for water if desired.
6) Add Sausage, Okra and Garlic. Add all Green Onion except for about
½ cup to be saved for Garnish. Cover and cook on low heat for 1-1/2
hours stirring occasionally. Add seasoning to taste and water as
7) Cut Chicken into bite size pieces and add to Gumbo. Cover and cook
on low heat for ½ hour.
8) Serve over Rice, with Green Onions for Garnish and sliced French
Bread. I always provide Tabasco and File for those who like it (if you
don’t, someone will ask).