Cleaning mold from a big green egg | TigerDroppings.com
Posted by
Message
Trauma14
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2010
3114 posts

Cleaning mold from a big green egg

During my wife's first trimester, I seldom cooked on my BGE because of this. It now has mold on it and I plan on cooking a pizza with it tonight. I was just going to burn it for an hour at lunch today then scrape off the residue.

Would this be sufficient or should I disinfect in someway? Also, has this happened to other BGE owners?


Early Cuyler
LSU Fan
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2009
4268 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
Just throw that sucker in the pool...the chlorine will disinfect it



























Srsly...don't do this






Just mix a little bleach in with some water and spray it on the moldy parts...then wash.
This post was edited on 5/13 at 11:32 am


Trauma14
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2010
3114 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
quote:

Just throw that sucker in the pool...the chlorine will disinfect it



The wife or the BGE...


Early Cuyler
LSU Fan
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2009
4268 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
quote:

The wife or the BGE


well played sir...well played


El Jefe
LSU Fan
_______(\___ southeast of disorder
Member since Jan 2004
821 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
with the humidity here, it doesn't take long for mold to grow. fire it up, open all the vents and burn it off.


Catman88
LSU Fan
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Dec 2004
40895 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
Sounds like something Oxyclean may work well for.


LEASTBAY
LSU Fan
Member since Aug 2007
4027 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
burn it, I wouldnt put chemicals on the inside especially


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
Gris Gris
LSU Fan
OTIS!NO RULES FOR SAUCES ON STEAK!!
Member since Feb 2008
28474 posts
Online

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
quote:

with the humidity here, it doesn't take long for mold to grow. fire it up, open all the vents and burn it off.


Had it happen once. This is what I did. Burned it off and went on cooking.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
BROffshoreTigerFan
USA Fan
Youngsville
Member since Oct 2007
9706 posts
Online

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
awesome start to a thread.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
jeepfreak
LSU Fan
Back in the BR
Member since Oct 2003
18968 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
Clean it with a bleach/water mix, then burn it off.


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
webstew
LSU Fan
B-city
Member since May 2009
712 posts

re: Cleaning mold from a big green egg
It has happened to me. I just burned it out. This is from the BGE FAQ page:

Mold has grown in my EGG. How can I remove it safely?
Mold is naturally in the air around us virtually all the time. When it settles in a warm, moist environment, such as the interior of the EGG, it can readily grow and spread. When this occurs you will actually see the mold. To eliminate it, just light the EGG and bring the temperature up to 450°F and allow the EGG to "cook" for about 30 minutes. Then close the vents to put out the fire; after it cools down use a wire brush to remove any leftover mold residue. Do not use any chemicals to treat the mold! The ceramics can absorb the chemicals and emit dangerous fumes when the EGG is in use thereafter.

That should take care of it.

Prost!


Replies (0)
Replies (0)
Page 1 of 1

Back to top

Follow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram