Alot of offers I've gotten (discover it, chase slate) have $0 fees.
So why does Amex hit me up for $175/yr? Is it worth it?
I've started threads on this but I'm 27 and have the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card. First off, they sucker you into thinking it's some kind of status symbol or personal achievement. That's just BS. Nobody cares unless you're rocking the Black Card.
B***** don't get naked for Gold or Platinum. In fact, anybody who doesn't visit this board probably doesn't know you have to actually have good credit to get it.
Also, if you qualify for a Premier Rewards, you qualify for the Platinum. Platinum fee isn't waived first year and is $450 a month in travel. No accelerated Rewards. So its probably more beneficial to get the Premier unless you travel like 2-3 times a month.
As far as the card:
1. Got 25K for signing up. I'm already at 30K points. Enough for $250 gift card to multiple places like Brooks Brothers, etc. You rack up points fast if you buy stuff that you get 2X or 3X points for. I eat out alot. I only get 1 pt for restaurants. That sucks
2. There isn't a better card out there for managing your spend. None. I learned I waste alot of money and 63% of my spend is on groceries and entertainment. Go figure.
3. I used the travel insurance on a 3 day trip. Flat $20 bucks compared to $40 a day through the carrier. To me, it already paid some dividends.
4. There isn't no concierge service for Gold members of any level. You call the travel and they give you the run around. You want them to coordinate crap for you? Get a Platinum and pay the fee.
5. It's a good card but be conscious of what you spend. You're paying it off entirely in a couple weeks. It's good for travel and spend protection.
This post was edited on 2/1 at 2:24 pm