As if 1.4 couldn't contain any more features, it looks like anvils will make it into the update. Image: http://static.accelerated-ideas.com/news/images/anvil_block_minecraft_14.jpg
Anvils will allow you to do 3 things -
- Repair items
- Name items (any
object can be named)
- Combine (similar) enchants
The XP cost will scale with the amount of times you've modified a particular item, so you won't be able to repair/rename the same item interminably.
So, the full changelog for the 1.4 update looks like this... - Anvils.
- Item frames.
- New food - carrots, golden carrots, potatoes, poisonous potatoes, baked potatoes, and pumpkin pie.
- New mobs - Wither boss, Wither Skeletons, Witches, and bats.
- New terrain feature - Witch huts will spawn in swamps.
- Slimes now spawn in swamps at night.
- Entities not only pass through Nether Portals, but retain momentum.
- New item - wooden buttons, which can be activated by arrows.
- New potions - night vision potion, invisibility potion. An invisibility potion will also hide a player's name on servers.
- New block/item - Beacons
- Chickens are now bred with seeds, and pigs with carrots.
- The direction of wooden logs is dictated by where they're placed on an adjacent block (as opposed to their direction being dictated by the position of the player).
- Players can now ride pigs. Requires a new item - carrot on a stick.
- Zombies can now infect villagers, and can pick up your armor if you die (which can be reacquired if you kill the zombie).
- Some mobs, such as skeletons and zombies, may spawn donning weapons and armor.
- Enhanced trading system with villagers - they can now like or dislike you based on your actions towards them, and their attitude towards you will dictate the quality of potential trade options.
- Cobblestone/mossy cobblestone fences added.
- Leather armor and dog collars can be dyed.
- Corner stairs are now possible.
- Trapdoors can now be placed on the top or bottom of a block.
- Heads are now a rare drop from skeletons, wither skeletons, creepers, and zombies. They can be placed as decoration or worn by a player.
- New sounds added - ladders, minecarts, animals, mobs, water, lava, etc.
Would anyone be interested in starting a new map for 1.4? I think a new map, coupled with the massive update, could renew interest for some, and could perhaps bring in a few new players. I know others have invested a lot of time in the current map (myself included), and would therefore be opposed to this.
It doesn't matter either way to me, though. I think a constant map refresh keeps things new, especially when it's concurrent with the release of a new update.
This post was edited on 10/11 at 4:46 pm