This was my Shrimp, Crab, Okra and Sausage Gumbo
1 1/2 lb. shrimp
1 lb. blue crab meat
1 lb. sausage
1 green bellpepper
1 red bellpepper
1 large white onion
5 cloves garlic
4 cups seafood stock
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
3-4 bay leaves
1/4 tspn cayenne
big easy seasoning (like tony's but less sodium)
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup flour
Preparing the Okra
1. Cut okra with a sharp knife. Be careful not to crush okra, this stuff gets slimy.
2. Heat cast iron skillet up to a high heat.
3. Add okra and cook on medium high to high heat stirring every now and then to prevent burning.
4. Once you can stir the okra and it is no longer slimy, you are done.
1. Brown sausage in Cast Iron pot.
2. Add a little water and scrape pot with wooden spoon. Reserve liquid, remove sausage.
3. Make roux
4. Add onions once roux is dark (light chocolate)
5. add bellpeppers and continue stirring (5 minutes)
6. Add garlic
7. Once veggie's are soft, add stock/broth/water
8. Add sausage, and okra, bring to a boil.
9. Simmer for at least 1 hour. (i simmered for about 3-4 sunday).
10. about 10-15 minutes before serving, add shrimp and crab meat and let cook for 10-15 minutes.
Fed 7 of us. Can feed up to about 9 or 10.
This post was edited on 10/8 at 9:09 am